Team Sussex: Archewell Foundation, Invictus, and charities, news, and activities

Started by Blue Clover, May 24, 2023, 11:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Harry looks like he?s having a ball, really enjoying himself interacting with the competitors of course, but also with the German Defence Minister and the others. Bravo to the Games and the international competitors.

Curryong

Btw, our TV evening News showed a lengthy segment of the opening of the Games, Harry laughing and joking,  the arena, competitors and lots more.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on September 10, 2023, 02:22:47 AM
Harry looks like he?s having a ball, really enjoying himself interacting with the competitors of course, but also with the German Defence Minister and the others. Bravo to the Games and the international competitors.

Yes he did seem to be enjoying himself at the Opening Ceremonies. Good luck to the athletes and their teams!

TLLK

This morning Prince Harry and the German Defense Minister challenged each other in a PK shoot out.

Prince Harry left red-faced after dismally losing penalty shoot out live on TV | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteAfter he officially launched on September 9 in D?sseldorf the 2023 edition of the paralympic-style competition, he headed to the studio of the late-night football show Das Aktuelle Sportstudio.

Broadcast by the German channel ZDF, the German version of Match of the Day included an interview with Prince Harry, whose appearance served to promote his international initiative spotlighting veterans and service people.

But it also saw the Duke of Sussex facing a goal wall challenge alongside Germany's Defence Minister Boris Pistorius and two other guests.

changemhysoul

Quote from: TLLK on September 10, 2023, 01:42:21 AM
It's a very small group of protestors who seem to believe that this event promotes enlistment in the German army... :unsure: They're protesting war of course which is how many of the athletes received their life altering injuries.

@changemhysoul - There were a couple of signs referring to "Bomber Harry" who is of course a combat veteran. At least a few of the protestors appear to be  of an age where they would been alive during the years of German post WWII reconstruction and the presence of either Soviet or Allied (U.S., UK, France) troops in either East or West Germany during the Cold War.

Prince Harry faces angry protesters holding 'bomber' signs at Invictus Games - Mirror Online

Hmm, could something be going on that we don't know about? I'm not sure, I don't think any Government is super clean.

I hope they can understand that Invictus isn't celebrating war but something for those who have been injured to work towards. Esp because you don't have to be injured in war, you just have to be a vet or worked in the forces anything like that.

But I understand that the horrors of war are something people hate.

wannable

Reading from the German media, the protest has several issues/fronts: 1. Profiteering 2. Military vet retirement plans are bad?! not close to UK or USA  3. German's against any kind of war/NATO.  I think the 3 reasons explained by German media may be valid to those protesters.

i.e. the latest incident at the US Open, live TV was when Germany's top player Alexander Zverev was playing - match had to be stopped because a German national in the crowds started singing the German National Anthem - the old version of Adolf Hitler, nobody knows if this was in protest or in favor of Nazi. The scenes were shocking to say the least, the NYPD came in to kick the man out, Zverev looked really really upset, he lost the match, requested the press to not ask him questions about the incident.

All in all - I think most of the people in Germany do not want to be reminded of Adolf/Nazi/any war in general.  A cousin is married to a German, they visit me yearly and this has been a trauma/taboo subject since WWII was over, for generations.

ETA: Germany finished paying it's WWII reparations just last year, it's still raw - at the end of the day - it is the citizens of that country via their taxes to pay reparations. Poland is the only country to date that still wants more money from Germany.

Curryong

There were a couple of dozen noisy protestors there at the Games at the most, in a crowd of over 500. And except for one old man who kept shouting ?Bomber? nothing of it  had to do with Harry, in spite of what the Daily Mirror was gleefully inferring.

And as for Germany having to pay reparations, Britain had to take out loan after loan to pay for wars against tyrants, from Napoleon onwards. There were billions to pay back after WW1, including loans given to countries like Serbia and Russia, none of which was paid back, incidentally.

And in WW1 and WW2 Britain had to go cap in hand to a USA that stood by while Germany ran riot in Europe with invasions of other countries and torture and oppression. Britain owed billions after two World Wars that had to be paid back bit by bit year after year. Just for  standing up against tyranny and aggression. It wasn?t paid off until the 1960s. So pardon me for not feeling anguished about ?poor Germany?.

History of the British national debt - Wikipedia,one%20third%20of%20annual%20GDP.

wannable

I agree, it wasn't a massive protest - just a few people with different kinds of issues that I posted as bulletpoints  - taken from the German media reliably rather than any other international media.

The mix of those bulletpoints explained in the German media is valid for ''those protesters''.  I do think a silent majority who don't go out on a protest would agree.  The latest surveys dealing with the 3 points match with what these German journos wrote.

The power players in the world have had reparations, but nothing like Germany who are reminded about their Adolf Hitler to this day, their divided Germany, their unified Germany. Basically to this day both Germany's have this love/H relationship with their past history and it seems their citizens do not want anything military related in show. This Love/H has to do with the power play of the then WWII unified in forces to beat Adolf Hilter by the Russians and Americans, they both basically were NATO. The UK was almost on its knees saved by the USA. The Russians liberated many important cities, they reached Berlin first, they built the wall...that's when to put it short, as this is not the thread to talk about WWII history, German citizens lives changed forever to this day.  They don't do military parades, it's not a thing in that country. The attempts by the German Ministry of Defense to showcase any military parade, small mid or big to date have been 'not prominent' in their news. Not bad news either, just not really front page - it's a trauma.

TLLK

^^^I so agree that Germans do not want ANY military symbolism. My husband's extended family live near what was a former SS training facility in WWII and later was an American base from 1945-1989.

Post WWII Germans even shy away from displaying too many national symbols too including their flag.

Recently a German tennis player had a fan ejected from a US Open Men's match for shouting "Deutschland Uber Alles" (Germany over all) at him.

Here's a photo gallery of Prince Harry on Day 1 of the Invictus Games.

Prince Harry September Day 1 10 Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images,%202023&assettype=image&family=editorial&sort=newest

(Not sure why there are a couple of old photos of Meghan at the US Open there.) :blank:

Curryong

There is not anything ?military related? on show at the IG. And if the majority of Germans do feel that way they didn?t bother to come out to the opening ceremony in their thousands, hundreds or even dozens to protest.

And if Germans are anguished about having their country divided after WW2, perhaps they can reflect upon what their soldiers did in Russia from 1941 to 1945, and what brought them to do that.

It wasn?t French, British or Belgian or Norwegian citizens who sat back and allowed A Hitler to come to power. It was the German population, and a population moreover who supported the Kaiser and then the Nazi Party to the hilt, until events started to go badly for them. I holidayed in Germany in the 1950s. When the war was ever mentioned no German person would even admit to ever supporting Hitler and his cohorts.

wannable

I mean, not saying it's bad - but for the German Ministry of Defense to end up in a TV Show with Harry. Believe me, if Germans/Germany had no military showcasing issues - they wouldn't go on a TV Show, they would parade in the usual and famous 'townsquare' of the city. Every city has a 'center', a townsquare.

Anyway, the IG games are on, day two has concluded.

The IG games will be live every day through the youtube channel I posted twice.

wannable

Quote from: TLLK on September 10, 2023, 03:59:24 PM
^^^I so agree that Germans do not want ANY military symbolism. My husband's extended family live near what was a former SS training facility in WWII and later was an American base from 1945-1989.

Post WWII Germans even shy away from displaying too many national symbols too including their flag.

Recently a German tennis player had a fan ejected from a US Open Men's match for shouting "Deutschland Uber Alles" (Germany over all) at him.

Here's a photo gallery of Prince Harry on Day 1 of the Invictus Games.

Prince Harry September Day 1 10 Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images,%202023&assettype=image&family=editorial&sort=newest

(Not sure why there are a couple of old photos of Meghan at the US Open there.) :blank:

Yes to the above, I very much believe in my cousin and married in German relation, I mean he is a top manager for one of the top 3 German companies that has hugely helped the German government with the reparations, it's citizens, via charity and production equipment's for free and what not, it really is huge the help the company he works for has done.  He loves very much to talk about past and present G history, they do not openly talk about it, privately only, that is what he told me - in this instance he doesn't mind at all, he says it is a deep wound - a huge trauma to this date - even for the young generation because the parents of the parent talk about it in family. They aren't the typical European backpackers, they are the rich middleclass type of European visitors that want to experience jungles in South America. So every visit I do cherish his knowledge.

The only symbolism people who are really knowledgeable about Germany tied to WWII is The USA sent to the games a NASA representative.  For those who do not know, German scientists who were 'saved' after the surrender got the option to work in the USA for NASA.  I also posted the tweet of the NASA guy who went in behalf of the US government and directly from President Biden.

Curryong

Yes it?s a wound all right. And a wound for other nations who lost men, houses public buildings and infrastructure due to German bombing and their war machine.

Does this ?wealthy man? ever talk about the very wealthy Germans who supported the Nazis, all 98% of them, and those very wealthy German companies, especially large chemical companies that did the same? After all, their products caused a lasting wound in their Jewish victims? families that lasted for generations.

And yes, the US Govt ought to hide its head in shame for ever more for taking in those scientists. Nothing whatsoever to be proud of there!

The price Britain paid for standing up to German tyranny and aggression (the German invasion of Belgium thereby negating a hundred year old treaty)  the first time in the 20th century. Deep wounds!!!

Walking wounded: The British economy in the aftermath of World War I | CEPR

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on September 10, 2023, 04:04:15 PM
I mean, not saying it's bad - but for the German Ministry of Defense to end up in a TV Show with Harry. Believe me, if Germans/Germany had no military showcasing issues - they wouldn't go on a TV Show, they would parade in the usual and famous 'townsquare' of the city. Every city has a 'center', a townsquare.

Anyway, the IG games are on, day two has concluded.

The IG games will be live every day through the youtube channel I posted twice.

Thank you for sharing the link to where members can watch the action from Dusseldorf.

I'm hoping that more viewers might choose to watch "Heart of Invictus" now that the Inivictus Games have begun.

wannable

Their numbers are not that bad, it has it's peak times in live viewer, but the most important thing is after the live is over, their Invictus youtube channel DOES have the entire thing to watch later, those numbers added up is good.

My last comment WWII/Germany related - the Jews that survived in numbers quantified as the ''most'' basically went to Russia, USA, Israel.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on September 12, 2023, 05:55:44 PM
Meghan has now arrived in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Meghan Markle reunites with Prince Harry in Germany - LIVE | HELLO!

Yes, in good spirits and hoping that in future years she and Harry will bring their children to experience watching the competitions.

TLLK

Curryong

Enjoying themselves among the crowds again. And the blue dress that Meghan wore today (well, it?s yesterday for us here) looked fine. Colour, and it suited her. And Harry enjoying a birthday beer. Good!

TLLK