The Coronation Part 3

Started by TLLK, May 02, 2023, 11:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: Nightowl on May 13, 2023, 07:22:06 AM
The entire picture is just weird to me, King Charles looks grumpy, can't Charles at least smile  and his crown is lopsided on his head a bit, William looks like he grew taller, and that fake smile says he wants to go home and poor George is trying to be comfortable with his smile which is not working either.

The photographer did not do a good job of positioning the family there, this looks like a half done hurry up and take the damn picture please.......Think Catherine knowing the family would of done a better job or is this her picture?  Who took the picture?

I don?t think Charles looked good at any point during the proceedings. And I mentioned earlier how grim I thought everyone looked.

Amabel2

I should imagine that Charles found hte whole ceremony tiring and stressful and so did Camilla.  Even shortened, they are not young and it was a tiring thing to go through.  And it is a solemn religious rite.  They are not meant to be smiling or grinning.

HistoryGirl2

No, but I don?t think smiling for a photograph would have hurt. A coronation is supposed to be a celebratory event. He looked his age or perhaps older during and after the ceremony. Not his fault, but it is what it is. 

sara8150

Amabel2

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on May 13, 2023, 08:45:26 PM
No, but I don?t think smiling for a photograph would have hurt. A coronation is supposed to be a celebratory event. He looked his age or perhaps older during and after the ceremony. Not his fault, but it is what it is.
yes he looked his age.  What is wrong with that.  He smiled at times during the ceremony but he clearly did not feel in a smiling mood for the photograph.  As long as he wasn't pulling faces, that is his choice.  He looked perfectly fine.

HistoryGirl2

^To you and you?re entitled to that opinion. To others, myself included, he looked tired and it didn?t make for the best photographs.

TLLK

A couple of sartorial thoughts for the coronation photos.

I wish that KCIII's tunic had not been made of silk, but velvet. IMO the silk was too "shiny" and the purple color was too light. I wish that it had been closer to the color of the robe.

On the other hand, I thought that Camilla looked wonderful in the solo and group photos. I expect that there were private photos taken that we might not ever see. Reportedly there is a larger group photo of the BRF which includes Andrew, but I believe that it will remain private.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on May 15, 2023, 12:15:11 PM
A couple of sartorial thoughts for the coronation photos.

I wish that KCIII's tunic had not been made of silk, but velvet. IMO the silk was too "shiny" and the purple color was too light. I wish that it had been closer to the color of the robe.

On the other hand, I thought that Camilla looked wonderful in the solo and group photos. I expect that there were private photos taken that we might not ever see. Reportedly there is a larger group photo of the BRF which includes Andrew, but I believe that it will remain private.

Yes, that tunic was described by several observers online as resembling jockeys colours. And if Andrew had his photo taken with the rest of the BRF (whether private or not) it just goes to prove even more to me that the expression ?blood is thicker than water? is only applicable in the RF?s eyes to some and not to others.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on May 15, 2023, 02:31:56 PM
Yes, that tunic was described by several observers online as resembling jockeys colours. And if Andrew had his photo taken with the rest of the BRF (whether private or not) it just goes to prove even more to me that the expression ?blood is thicker than water? is only applicable in the RF?s eyes to some and not to others.

Yes "jockey colors" certainly are a fitting description.

As to which BRF members were present to participate in the Coronation Day private photos, it would  certainly depend upon if they chose to accept the invitation to return to Buckingham Palace after the Service. I tend to believe that if a family member wished to be there for the photos and reception, they would make the decision to be there.  :shrug:

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on May 15, 2023, 02:53:18 PM
Yes "jockey colors" certainly are a fitting description.

As to which BRF members were present to participate in the Coronation Day private photos, it would  certainly depend upon if they chose to accept the invitation to return to Buckingham Palace after the Service. I tend to believe that if a family member wished to be there for the photos and reception, they would make the decision to be there.  :shrug:

We don?t know officially whether Harry was invited back to BP after the service. He may have been, he may not. No BP spokesperson has spoken about it to clear that up. There has only been media speculation just before he arrived back on the plane  about Harry being invited to lunch, photos etc.

wannable

I think he has his USA tax days counted per year and planned.  It's pretty tight, so not only because of Archie's 6th birthday (according to Omid) but because of how many days he can be 'out' of the USA, tax purposes.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on May 15, 2023, 03:01:43 PM
We don?t know officially whether Harry was invited back to BP after the service. He may have been, he may not. No BP spokesperson has spoken about it to clear that up. There has only been media speculation just before he arrived back on the plane  about Harry being invited to lunch, photos etc.

While I doubt that Buckingham Palace would ever release a statement in regards to the invitations, I believe that Prince Harry would have been invited to the reception just like any other member of the family who was present at the Coronation. If he chose not to attend in order to  return quickly to California for his son's birthday, then that was ultimately his decision.

TLLK

A look ahead at The King?s upcoming ?Scottish coronation? ? Royal Central

QuoteThere may be a date for The King?s Scottish ?coronation? or service of dedication and thanksgiving as it is known. It is thought that The King and Queen will be presented with the Honours of Scotland on 5 July.

The King and Queen will be in Scotland for the first week of July for Holyrood Week. This is the week that the monarch hosts a Garden Party in Edinburgh, holds an Investiture, and conducts a number of engagements throughout Scotland. The Garden Party will be held on 4 July this year and it will be The King?s first Scottish Garden Party of his reign.

While this alone does not confirm that the service of dedication and thanksgiving will be held on 5 July, the Crown Room at Edinburgh Castle will be closed from 4 to 6 July, and the entire castle will be closed on 5 July. This could be because the Crown Jewels will be at St. Giles? Cathedral for the service.

The Honors of Scotland and their history.  :princessgrace: :crown: Honours of Scotland | Edinburgh Castle

sara8150

Prince William SHOULD invite aristocrats to the next Coronation, says HUGO VICKERS | Daily Mail Online
Prince of Wales will invite Aristocrats,Noble,Dame and also guests to his coronation one day unlike his father who snub invited guests last May 6 and also European royals,world leaders to Prince William?s coronation ceremony during late Queen Elizabeth?s coronation in 1953 8,200 seats and 2,000 people invited included commonwealth

Curryong

Hugo Vickers is a rather elderly and very conservative upperclass academic who would love to return to the 1950s. He?s obviously been listening to a lot of complaints from Peers about being cut off from the Coronation. 1953 is never going to happen again.

If Charles wasn?t interested in filling the Abbey with aristos in ermine robes then as sure as heck William won?t be. He may well not be King for another twenty years. Britain in the 2040s, is even less likely to demand pomp and circumstance than people today. And it?s the British Govt that pays for Coronations.

HistoryGirl2

I can?t really speak to what Britain will or will not want when it?s William?s turn to be crowned, but in a way, I kind of agree with his logic. It?s one of the reasons why monarchy makes me a bit uncomfortable. The roots of the unfairness are still present in the land that is still owned by some aristocrats (although by no means what it used to be) and the estates that the RF still derive revenue from. Their titles were given to them by monarchs and their legitimacy is derived from the existing monarchy.

I understand the desire for Charles to want to minimize his connection with them and highlight the diverse people of the country. I liked seeing some of the people invited and I?m not exactly ?up in arms? over it; especially when you consider the financial strain and the current economic climate, he couldn?t invite everyone. However, it is rather strange for a monarch to have a coronation without them considering the history.

I doubt anyone is shedding tears over it, myself included, but there is a link between the two regardless of how much present and future monarchs might try and minimize it.

Curryong

List of guests at the coronation of Charles III and Camilla - Wikipedia

If you look down the (restricted) guest list though, and discount the Royal Dukes and holders of the Great Offices of State, there is still quite a sprinkling of Dukes, Earls and Barons and Baronesses present, though. Some are quite elderly and were courtiers in the late Queen?s reign, but Charles didn?t cut all aristocrats off at the knees. It?s just that numbers were limited by how much money the Govt were prepared to shell out, really. And that will still be the main criteria when William is crowned as well.

HistoryGirl2

Yes, numbers were limited, but it?s notable that Charles chose to fill that number with people from the community, like some politicians, over aristocrats like the Duke of Rutland or Somerset. That was done purposefully and I don?t think it was done simply because the guest list had to be cut short.

And what I?m saying is that trying to distance himself from the aristocracy by highlighted the untitled doesn?t erase the ties between monarchy and the peers of the realm. So his logic is correct, they do go hand in hand. His anger about it is over the top in my own opinion, but he?s not wrong in his thinking that if there?s peers of the land in the first place, a coronation is likely somewhere they should be invited.

HistoryGirl2

^Now, *that* is something I?m really interested in seeing the reaction to.

Nightowl

Yes, that will be very interesting and wondering if HM in her time did the same in  Scotland?   Is there a crown just for Scotland that he can use?  And will Camilla also be crowned Queen of Scotland that the same time?

Curryong

There is a Scottish Crown, the Scottish Crown Jewels are kept on show in Edinburgh, (I?ve seen them) and are the oldest Crown Jewels still extant in the British Isles. Unlike the English ones, Cromwell and his Parliamentarians didn?t manage to grab them to sell or melt down. As far as I know there is no equivalent Crown for a Consort in these Crown Jewels.

King Charles won?t be crowned however, just the Honours of Scotland will be presented at the Service of Thanksgiving in St Giles Cathedral.

This is an interesting article on the Scottish Crown Jewels and what happened with Queen Elizabeth II.

Not quite a Coronation, not quite an Investiture ? a ceremony for the Scottish Honours in 2023 | Feature from King's College London

Honours of Scotland | Edinburgh Castle

LouisFerdinand

In the List of guests at the Coronation, Catherine's sister is listed as Philippa Matthews, not Middleton.