The Coronation Part 3

Started by TLLK, May 02, 2023, 11:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

Sky News
@SkyNews
'I know my grandmother is up there fondly keeping an eye on us'

Prince William deliver a speech at the coronation concert praising his father's service, charity work and dedication to promoting diversity

#coronation: Coronation live: King and Queen dance as Lionel Richie brings the house down at star-studded concert | UK News | Sky News

📺 Sky 501 and YouTube

https://twitter.com/i/status/1655308444084195331

sara8150

sara8150

Curryong

As promised, Aus ratings for the Coronation which was covered by all free to air channels on the day. The figures are good but not spectacular considering there wasn?t much choice! Married at first Sight was the spectacular success of Aus TV this year. It regularly got more than a million views per episode.

For example Year   Program   Rating
2021   2021 AFL Grand Final*   3.91 million
2020   2020 AFL Grand Final   3.01 million
2019   2019 State of Origin series Game I   3.23 million

Saturday Ratings | It's all about the CORONATION OF KING CHARLES III - TV Blackbox

Nightowl

Quote from: TLLK on May 07, 2023, 02:50:08 PM
One thing that stood out to me yesterday was the Queen Camilla appeared to be significant physical discomfort yesterday during the service. She appeared to be sitting very gingerly and seemed to wince as the AoC approached her with Queen Mary's crown. I wish for her sake that the crown could have been placed there briefly and then removed for the remainder of the service.

Watch archbishop formally crown Queen Camilla | CNN

I also thought she was in some type of pain for she seems anxious and a bit scared at times.  Thanks for the update on her health.  There must of been tremendous pressure on her and Charles these last few weeks, I am surprised she held up this well during the entire service. 

PrincessOfPeace

All weekend, public buildings & landmarks across Canada are illuminating in green to mark the Coronation of Canada's new King.

Halifax, Ottawa, Toronto, Kitchener, St. John's, Mississauga, Niagara Falls, Vancouver, Simcoe.

https://twitter.com/Canadian_Crown/status/1655220996473847812?s=20

Curryong

I phoned up family and several friends last night about whether they had watched the Coronation which was of course on in prime time the night before. I did NOT phone fervent Republican friends as I knew what their reactions would be! Most were thirty+ to my age, 70s.

Of the thirty plus people, 25 watched the Coronation. Most of the others were out or watching the footy. None had eaten special food to accompany the viewing though a few had a drink.

Most enjoyed it. Said it was ?nice?, ?fine?, ?the first one I?ve seen so we were interested?, ?miss the Queen so wanted to see this one?, and similar remarks. Opinions were that Charles ?looked emotional?, ?old and doddery?, ?seemed to be a bit lost?. Camilla similarly ?looked aged?, lost, ?was fine but a bit overwhelmed with everything?. Remarks, usually favourable about Anne, Harry, Kate, ?William giving the oath of allegiance?, Charlotte looking like a little Princess etc?. Liked the gold coach, the ?woman holding the sword?, laughed about the rain. ?Like Melbourne at the moment?.

Ten people didn?t watch it all the way through. Most didn?t see the balcony. (Nor did I.) I didn?t ask leading questions apart from ?Would you consider the Coronation memorable?? Most laughed and said No. Two (my age) said that ?parts of it would probably stay in my memory because after all the Queen?s one did?. One was an ex pat Brit like myself, but slightly older. 

So that was the consensus of some Aussies I know, among a very small and restricted circle of course. Take from it what you will.

Curryong

https://www.pmc.gov.au/government/coronation/significant-buildings-and-monuments-illumination#:~:text=To%20celebrate%20the%20Coronation%20in,and%20Sunday%207%20May%202023.

Significant public buildings in Aus were illuminated in royal purple for the Coronation weekend. The Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge were not, on the grounds of cost cutting.

Blue Clover

What an amazing weekend for King Charles, England, Camilla, Prince William, and even Harry (although his appearance was brief.) I found myself missing Queen Elizabeth and wondering what the future holds for the BRF.

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: Curryong on May 08, 2023, 01:48:07 AM
I phoned up family and several friends last night about whether they had watched the Coronation which was of course on in prime time the night before. I did NOT phone fervent Republican friends as I knew what their reactions would be! Most were thirty+ to my age, 70s.

Of the thirty plus people, 25 watched the Coronation. Most of the others were out or watching the footy. None had eaten special food to accompany the viewing though a few had a drink.

Most enjoyed it. Said it was ?nice?, ?fine?, ?the first one I?ve seen so we were interested?, ?miss the Queen so wanted to see this one?, and similar remarks. Opinions were that Charles ?looked emotional?, ?old and doddery?, ?seemed to be a bit lost?. Camilla similarly ?looked aged?, lost, ?was fine but a bit overwhelmed with everything?. Remarks, usually favourable about Anne, Harry, Kate, ?William giving the oath of allegiance?, Charlotte looking like a little Princess etc?. Liked the gold coach, the ?woman holding the sword?, laughed about the rain. ?Like Melbourne at the moment?.

Ten people didn?t watch it all the way through. Most didn?t see the balcony. (Nor did I.) I didn?t ask leading questions apart from ?Would you consider the Coronation memorable?? Most laughed and said No. Two (my age) said that ?parts of it would probably stay in my memory because after all the Queen?s one did?. One was an ex pat Brit like myself, but slightly older. 

So that was the consensus of some Aussies I know, among a very small and restricted circle of course. Take from it what you will.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, this is more the type of stuff that I was interested in hearing about. Not so much the numbers because of course a lot of people will have watched the event. I want to know what they really thought of it.

Charles looked okay throughout, in my opinion. Just really sober. Camilla, as has been mentioned by other posters, looked frail and uncomfortable. I think it?s only to be expected. Their age is what their age is, but still. Just gotta see what?s in store for the future.

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: Blue Clover on May 08, 2023, 05:59:17 AM
What an amazing weekend for King Charles, England, Camilla, Prince William, and even Harry (although his appearance was brief.) I found myself missing Queen Elizabeth and wondering what the future holds for the BRF.

I said the same thing during it. ?It?s just not the same without her.? For me, that?s not a knock on Charles so much a testament to how admired Elizabeth was.

Amabel2

The queen was a decent woman, but not a woman with any ideas or spark.  She did a good job for many years but she's gone and Charles is King.

HistoryGirl2

^She is and yet a great deal many people haven?t forgotten her. And she still remains the most popular royal, even though she has passed.

The most popular royalty in the UK | Politics | YouGov Ratings

I?ll be interested in seeing the numbers a few months from now because as it stands, his sister, son, and daughter-in-law are more popular than he is. 

Amabel2

It woudl be odd if people had forgotten her already, but she was elderly and frail and even as a young woman was not someone who had any ideas, unlike Charles. Im glad that he has become King and been crowned. Its a shame he is quite old but I think he ahs a few good years left.

wannable

The Royal Family
@royalfamily

It?s #TheBigHelpOut Day!

On the final day of the #CoronationWeekend, thousands of organisations across the country are getting together to encourage people to try volunteering and help out in their local communities.

@TheBigHelpOut23

^ 6 Million volunteers signed up

wannable

Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail

What a treat today. The Prince and Princes of Wales have brought Prince Louis on his first official engagement! Along with Prince George and Princess Charlotte they are taking part in a #Big Help Out at a scout hut in Slough!

13 short videos here: https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/1655533799751528449

wannable

^^^💯 He's the only Royal - world history who has done more than anyone for masses of people, whilst at the same time creating several outstanding organizations.

HistoryGirl2

^I would agree with you on his accomplishments, which are numerous and varied. Yet the poll numbers wouldn?t make you think so. Fairness doesn?t play much part in popularity and public adoration.

Amabel2

well it just goes to show that popularity has nothing to do with the person being useful or hard working or doing a good job.  Charles is not young and was never handsome, so his popularity was never as high as Dianas and now he is an elderly man, and will probably never be as well liked as he should be, given how much he has done.

HistoryGirl2

^Correct. The public is both fickle and most of the time, poorly informed. It?s also moved by emotion more so than logic. That?s why Charles being both a hard worker and innovative does not necessarily mean he will be able to one day be the most popular royal or gain the affection of the public the way the Queen did.

I?m interested to see how the coronation affects it though. While I just don?t see anyone reaching the heights that Elizabeth did in terms of public appreciation, I?m curious to see if he?s able to topple Anne or even William. Because while popularity isn?t always logical, it is still important for the RF.

wannable

Quote from: Amabel2 on May 08, 2023, 11:58:29 AM
well it just goes to show that popularity has nothing to do with the person being useful or hard working or doing a good job.  Charles is not young and was never handsome, so his popularity was never as high as Dianas and now he is an elderly man, and will probably never be as well liked as he should be, given how much he has done.

His ''popularity'' poll is dragging the Princess Diana stigma. His any and all other questions minus the 'popularity' he excels.

TLLK

Hard to believe that this just took place on Saturday. Here's footage of the foreign reigning and non-reigning royals who were present and you can see them entering the Abbey. With his cousin Denmark's Queen Margrethe absent, Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustav was the most senior reigning monarch present that day and therefore he and daughter Crown Princess Victoria were seated in the front row.

As to the royal who actually has been the monarch for the longest time, that should be the non-reigning Tsar Boris of Bulgaria who is the last of the "boy kings" who ascended to the throne at a young age.

De hoogtepunten: alle royals bij de kroning van Charles - YouTube

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on May 08, 2023, 11:43:13 AM
Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail

What a treat today. The Prince and Princes of Wales have brought Prince Louis on his first official engagement! Along with Prince George and Princess Charlotte they are taking part in a #Big Help Out at a scout hut in Slough!

13 short videos here: https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/1655533799751528449

I hope that this becomes an annual tradition in the UK like it has in The Netherlands.

The Princess Royal has arrived at Gloucester cathedral for a Service of Thanksgiving for volunteers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvmfTUAWYAA4d2s?format=jpg&name=medium

wannable

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/status/1655533074996686850

^ Richard Palmer also has short footage of the POW's family with the scouts.

wannable

Richard Palmer
@RoyalReporter
14m
On a day when several members of the Royal Family have been out volunteering in support of the Coronation Big Help Out, the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh went to a puppy class at the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Training Centre in Reading.