Books written about and by the Sussexes Part 4.

Started by TLLK, February 10, 2023, 11:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

changemhysoul

I'm also not sure if this would go here, if it doesn't, please move but

The Bench will now getting a Turkish translation under the label Bank Altın Books

Sussex D??esi Meghan'dan Babalar ve ?ocuklar? ?zerine Bir ?yk?: Bank

Article is in Turkish

Curryong

Quote from: changemhysoul on March 06, 2023, 07:29:10 PM
I'm also not sure if this would go here, if it doesn't, please move but

The Bench will now getting a Turkish translation under the label Bank Altın Books

Sussex D??esi Meghan'dan Babalar ve ?ocuklar? ?zerine Bir ?yk?: Bank

Article is in Turkish

Glad to hear it. The Bench was a New York Times bestseller so it may well have been given other translations before as it sold quite well.

changemhysoul

Random but cool enough to share

Bubia Lutheran Primary School has the 1st and only copy o Spare in Papua New Guinea

https://twitter.com/RickiiMartin/status/1633324597423534082

Curryong

Quote from: changemhysoul on March 08, 2023, 01:29:27 PM
Random but cool enough to share

Bubia Lutheran Primary School has the 1st and only copy o Spare in Papua New Guinea

https://twitter.com/RickiiMartin/status/1633324597423534082

What a shame. Perhaps they could act like a lending library though I can?t see the pupils borrowing it, just the teachers!

changemhysoul

Quote from: Curryong on March 08, 2023, 01:40:42 PM
What a shame. Perhaps they could act like a lending library though I can?t see the pupils borrowing it, just the teachers!

Something like that would be nice!

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on March 08, 2023, 01:40:42 PM

Perhaps due to the country's remote communities, if it's easier to have an electronic copy that everyone downloads? Travel through Papua New Guinea can be challenging at times. Also from reading this article, it appears that keeping the public libraries open is also quite the task.

Part 3 - PNG libraries : Public and rural libraries, library associations

I recently read an article in Scholastic News when I was with some second grade students.  FYI- Scholastic News is an American publication that shares about current events and is geared towards elementary aged students. The article was about trying to bring books to rural areas of Columbia and a retired teacher would carry books on his donkey's back to the rural communities once a week. He began with 70 books and through donations is now up to 7,000! Donkeys are very strong and can travel over terrain that many cars/trucks/buses cannot access. This might work in  PNG as the  population is mostly rural and remote.

Here's a link to the article.

All Issues

A fantastic patronage/charity idea for any royal who wishes to sponsor a way for PNG communities to access books.

Amabel2

Not sure where this shloud be posted, but DO other posters, esp those who have managed to read his book in full, think that the anger at being a SPARE is of long standing?  I did wonder why he chose that as the title for his book, and Im thinking that it seems like from boyhood, he resented being the younger brother, even though Im sure that DIana treated the boys equally..  There seems to be a lot of complaints tht even as kids, Harry was put in a broom cupboard while WIllilam got the big fancy room. Hrarry got only 1 sausage while Will got 2. Problaby Harry got a broken toy and WIlliam got a new bike and so on.  Or is this an idea that Meg put in his head because obviously, in some ways the boys could NOT be equals, and possbily SHE resented it when she found that by marrying the second son, she was never going to get quite the same perks as the wife of the first son?

Kristeh-H

I think that Harry has had some long-standing jealousy and resentment over being the second son, and I'm not sure that the brothers were as close as the public thought they were.  But I don't think it was all bad either.  I'm sure there were times when they had fun together and got on well.  It seems like they had a typical sibling relationship, in that the younger child feels the older one got a lot more privileges, and the older one feels the younger was coddled and got away with more.  Except for William and Harry, it's greatly exacerbated by being royal and that William is in fact the heir.

In a situation with royal kids, I'm sure it is difficult for parents because it is an unfair system.  One kid will inherit and the others won't.  In spite of Harry's allegations, I think that they were treated pretty equally growing up.  Sometimes I wonder if part of the problem is that everyone treated them too equally.  Of course, in family life, on a personal level, the children should be loved equally, and treated as much the same as possible.  But at the same time, I think the parents need to start preparing them for the idea that in public they will have different roles, and emphasize that there are advantages and disadvantages to both.  "Sometimes your sibling will do things that you won't get to do, and sometimes you will do things that your sibling will not get to do."     

Harry has always had more attention and fame than most 'spares' because of the Diana effect.  All the years he and William were growing up and well into adulthood, they were known as 'Diana's boys', and thought of as a pair.  So while Harry knew that William was the heir and would someday be king, I also think it didn't really 'hit' him for a long time.  And then suddenly, things changed.  William married Catherine and they started their family.  Then a few years later, the late Queen began the soft transition of power, where Charles and William were taking on more responsibilities, and I think Harry really began to feel left behind. 

But also yes, I think Meghan didn't help matters.  I think she had a an unrealistic view of royal life and did not like the idea of playing second fiddle to William and Catherine, and she and Harry amplified each other's feelings.  So they decided instead of playing the supporting role, they would go to California and become superstars on their own.  And that in itself, I don't have any problem with.  Everyone should be free to pursue their own goals in life.  The problem is Harry and Meghan made a lot of untrue and misleading statements to damage the royal family and make money off them. 

Amabel2

Mmm. I suppose I feel that the Harry of public image has proved to be so very different to what we have seen of late.. I do wonder if H was always resentful and angry and the RF and household KNEW that he was a ticking time bomb who might well go off some day.
Even back years ago, from what I'd read, I did wonder if the 2 boys were as close as the media made them out to be, things like Harry saying when Will got engaged that he was looking forward to getting to know Catherine, as if he hardly knew her. and perhaps the jokes about Harry never doing the washing up or taking food had a bit of an edge to them....that Will knew that Harry was not really a cheerful happy bunny in private and that he had resentment agianst him, his older brother for being his older brother.

changemhysoul

https://twitter.com/BooksellersNG/status/1635601110256738305

The Booksellers, a Nigerian bookstore said that Spare is the best selling book of Feb. for them. The linked video also included the other books that are best selling books. 

changemhysoul

Spare is at it's 8th week on the New York Times Best Seller but has moved down to number 2, beaten out by Ron DeSantis recent release. I'm going to have to buy more copies of Spare and I'm Glad My Mom Died out of spite to get him off. Still no.1 on Amazon

Amabel2

so people are buying more copies, just to bump up the sales?

changemhysoul

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 15, 2023, 01:15:12 PM
so people are buying more copies, just to bump up the sales?

No. I didn't speak for people, I spoke for me. I also said that my goal wasn't buying to raise simply to raise his profile but because I don't like DeSantis. I'd buy every single book on the list a thousand times over to get DeSantis off.

But 'people' aren't doing anything like seeing as Harry dropped down to number 2 on the best sellers list.

changemhysoul

Prince Harry?s #Spare retains the top spot on the UK?s Sunday Times Bestsellers List not just for nonfiction but for all hardcover books beating out a recent fiction entry from Margaret Atwood. #SparePrinceHarry

The Sunday Times Bestsellers List ? the UK?s definitive book sales chart

Curryong

Quote from: changemhysoul on March 20, 2023, 08:14:45 PM
Prince Harry?s #Spare retains the top spot on the UK?s Sunday Times Bestsellers List not just for nonfiction but for all hardcover books beating out a recent fiction entry from Margaret Atwood. #SparePrinceHarry

The Sunday Times Bestsellers List ? the UK?s definitive book sales chart

Excellent news, and a real achievement as we reach the last couple of weeks of March 2023.

changemhysoul

Quote from: Curryong on March 20, 2023, 09:49:23 PM
Excellent news, and a real achievement as we reach the last couple of weeks of March 2023.

Yeah, I'm genuinely shocked, I thought by the end of Feb. or the start of March that it'd fall off. Maybe not too hard but sitting in the lower tens? As I said before, the shock and thirst for drama might've put it at top but the staying power is strong seeing as most of the most 'shocking' stuff as died off and even when they tried with the woman who came forward and assumed she was the one Harry was talking about...it's not gotten much oxygen.

I have two extra books (one from a co-worker who bought the book but then bought the audio book and gave me a hard cover and then the talk with Dr. Mate.) so I'm thinking donating the books to two of my local libraries. I saw some of them had long wait times (some said they were like 300 in-line)

TLLK

@changemhysoul - Thank you for donating to your local library!  :high5:

HistoryGirl2

@changemhysoul, as a librarian in my past life, I highly commend you for thinking about donating to your local library! I?m sure the patrons and staff will be thrilled if another copy is added to help with the waiting list!

Amabel2

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 22, 2023, 10:07:38 AM
I can't beleive there's a waiting list

I can. There?s a waiting list of a couple of hundred in my library as well or was a week ago!. I haven?t donated my copy  as I have Spare on my Kindle, but I?m inspired by you now change, and the next time I go into town I?ll buy a copy and follow your example. It?s a terrific thing to do.

TLLK

I love how our members are choosing to donate either a new or "gently used" copy to their local libraries.
So currently I'm reading Valentine Low's  book Courtiers, but the digital copy of Spare is now available and being downloaded to my ancient but still functioning Nook.  We get our digital books through Los Angeles Co. public library as they have a  wider selection and a greater number of copies available than my local  municipal library. It took us about three months before it was available, so there is still a waiting list in Los Angles Co.

HistoryGirl2

I?d imagine so. All books on the bestseller list usually have tons of holds, even at larger systems that have many copies. I?d donate more books, but to honest, I rarely buy them anymore. I turn to the library for pretty much everything!

TLLK

@HistoryGirl2 - I'm in the same position. While I still enjoy reading actual books, it's so much easier to pop my reader into my purse for traveling or just when I know I'll be waiting for awhile and need some entertainment.

HistoryGirl2

Time is scarce these days. I usually pick the more convenient option, too. But eBooks/audiobooks are so expensive for libraries, donating print copies helps them out a lot.

TLLK

Publishers Little, Brown Books are releasing a parody of Spare in April entitled Spare Us a Harrody.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/spare-us/bruno-vincent/9780349146065