The Last Days, Death, Lying in State and Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II Part 2

Started by TLLK, September 16, 2022, 08:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on September 20, 2022, 10:55:31 PM
Three relatives from Germany attended the Queen's funeral and memorial service: Prince Bernhard of Baden (Great Nephew of PP), Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (grandson of PP eldest sister, Princess Margaritaand) Prince Heinrich Donatus of Hesse (He is distantly related to PP. PP third sister, Princess Cecilie, was married to Hereditary Grand Duke Georg Donatus of Hesse and by Rhine in 1931. They had four children, three of whom died in a plane crash that took their lives.)

Royal Watcher Karl from Twitter (All things about German royalty past and present)

Well the parents died in the crash too, and their only daughter later died of meningitis. George?s brother Ludwig (Lou)  and his wife (Scottish) Peg, had no children so the Hesse and by Rhine line died out. Heinrich was partially adopted by Lou Hesse but he?s really from another branch of the family not from the Hesse and by Rhine lot because as I?ve just written, none of them were left after Lou?s death.

wannable

The soldiers have been praised for perfecting the task on Her Majesty's final and saddest journey while watched by billions around the globe as their families described their deep pride at what they did for 'Queen and country'.

But their most important job was carried out in private, when they laid Her Majesty to rest with her husband, father, mother and sister in the royal tomb at St George's Chapel, Windsor, with a small audience of just the King and his close relatives on Monday night.

^I see an MBE coming for this band of brothers who had the task of carrying the Queens coffin Westminster/St. George's/then mausoleum. (And an NDA too  :D )

sara8150

Princess Charlotte's brooch was gifted to her by her great-grandmother the Queen  | Daily Mail Online
Brooch belong to HM Queen Mother

Trump, Obama, Bush and Clinton skip memorial service for the Queen in Washington DC | Daily Mail Online

Why Queen Elizabeth's Final Wish Was to Be Buried With Her Parents
What in my previous comment posts late Queen Elizabeth II wanted buried reunion with Duke of Edinburgh,her parents,Princess Margaret and grandparents at Windsor Castle will happy reunion in heaven

TLLK

From the Court Circular-The members of the British Royal Family who attended the State Funeral of HM QEII. In total there were 70 members of the family who attended. (Please let me know if I miscounted.)

The list from the CC:

The King and The Queen Consort,
The Prince and Princess of Wales with Prince George of Wales and Princess Charlotte of Wales,
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex,
The Duke of York,
Princess Beatrice, Mrs Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, Princess Eugenie,
Mrs Jack Brooksbank and Mr Jack Brooksbank,
The Earl and Countess of Wessex with the Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor and Viscount Severn,
The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence,
Mr Peter Phillips,
Mr and Mrs Michael Tindall,
The Earl of Snowdon,
Viscount Linley and The Lady Margarita Armstrong-Jones,
Mr Daniel and The Lady Sarah Chatto,
Mr Samuel Chatto and 2nd Lieutenant Arthur Chatto, RM,
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester,
Earl and Countess of Ulster with Lord Culloden and The Lady Cosima Windsor,
The Lady Davina Lewis with Miss Senna Lewis,
Mr George and The Lady Rose Gilman with Miss Lyla Gilman,
The Duke of Kent,
Earl and Countess of St. Andrews,
The Lord Nicholas Windsor with Master Albert Windsor and Master Leopold Windsor,
Mr Timothy and The Lady Helen Taylor with Mr Columbus Taylor, Mr Cassius Taylor, Miss Estella Taylor and Miss Eloise Taylor,
Lord Downpatrick,
The Lady Marina-Charlotte Windsor,
The Lady Amelia Windsor,
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent,
The Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor,
Mr Thomas and The Lady Gabriella Kingston,
Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy,
Mr and Mrs James Ogilvy,
Mr Alexander Ogilvy,
Mr and Mrs Timothy Vesterberg,
Miss Marina Ogilvy,
Miss Zenouska Mowatt and Mr Christian Mowatt.

Blue Clover

There were so many touching aspects over the days of the funeral. I would say it was an event fit for a Queen. I especially liked the Queen's funeral pipe player.

TudorQueen

The piper, her beloved pony and of the corgis were so special. Personal touches to such a grand funeral.

I notice Lord Nicholas' wife and Duchess of Kent didn't attend with their husbands. Seems odd to me, even if the Duchess is rarely seen now. I hope she is well.

Quote from: Curryong on September 21, 2022, 02:24:39 AM
Well the parents died in the crash too, and their only daughter later died of meningitis. George?s brother Ludwig (Lou)  and his wife (Scottish) Peg, had no children so the Hesse and by Rhine line died out. Heinrich was partially adopted by Lou Hesse but he?s really from another branch of the family not from the Hesse and by Rhine lot because as I?ve just written, none of them were left after Lou?s death.

It was Heinrich's father Moritz (who died in 2012) who was adopted by Lou. The title went first to Moritz's father Philipp, but estates to Moritz.

Philipp's mother and Lou's father were both grandchildren of Queen Victoria. Lou through Alice, and Philipp through Vicky. Agnatically they were much more distantly related.

Unfortunately there was a shortage of male heirs. Lou and his brother only had a half sister who died at 8. Their father had 5 sisters and only one brother who died at 3. Their grandfather had 2 brothers but they had morgantic marriages so their sons were out.

Donatus is Princess Benedikte's nephew by marriage. His mother Tatiana was a younger sister of Prince Richardd.

Curryong

Thanks TudorQueen. I should have remembered about Moritz and his famed art collection. That tragic air crash finished the family off really. I read (was in Marlene Koenig?s blog) that Lou and Peg Hesse adored each other and apparently were told that they were both fertile and healthy but they were unable to have children with each other, which is sad. They were both influential in making their estate into a wonderful colony for artists, writers and musicians though.

Ernie of Hesse was bereft after his little brother died wasnt he? They were both playing in Alice?s rooms when Frittie fell out of the window and later died. Even though he was haemophilic I don?t think it made much difference. Alice never really recovered from his death.

The Hesses of by Rhine were a tragic family really, almost cursed. They weren?t too many Grand Dukes who had two members of their families assassinated by Bolsheviks, one of them thrown down a mineshaft, as well as later an entire family wiped out by a plane crash and afterwards illness. Prince Philip?s favourite sister died in that crash, with her unborn child.

TLLK

For anyone who is interested in photos from the Committal Service at SGC, Royal Musings has excellent ones of many of the extended family members. It appears that the only members of the BRF who missed the State Funeral and Committal Service were the Duchess of Kent and Lady Nicholas Windsor.

Royal Musings: The Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on September 22, 2022, 12:17:49 PM
For anyone who is interested in photos from the Committal Service at SGC, Royal Musings has excellent ones of many of the extended family members. It appears that the only members of the BRF who missed the State Funeral and Committal Service were the Duchess of Kent and Lady Nicholas Windsor.

I love Royal Musings blog. I think Marlene is an excellent source of things royal. There have been questions elsewhere as to whether anyone was present from the Bowes Lyon family or the Lascelles, the family of the last Princess Royal. I think that the relationship with the latter has probably gone since the Queen?s cousins? deaths, but I wouldn?t be surprised if there was a Bowes Lyon at the funeral among the mourners.

TLLK

@Curryong-I agree that there were likely Bowes-Lyon family members present at both events. The Queen had hosted her maternal relatives at Balmoral this summer, so a connection remains with them. As for the Lascelles family, that relationship has likely dwindled over the years.

TLLK

Even though the BRF is still officially in mourning, members of the family are out today on engagements and overseas trips. This includes the P&PssoW, EoW, PssR and DoG.

TLLK

Topics related to the Commonwealth Realms and Nations have been moved to this thread in the Politics of Monarchies and Republics forums. 

The Commonwealth Nations and the British Monarchy News

Blue Clover

Quote from: TLLK on September 22, 2022, 12:17:49 PM

Thank you! The best photos from the funeral.

wannable

Mystery over delay before RAF jet flew Prince William, Andrew and senior royals to Queen's bedside
The RAF jet  which had Prince William, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward and his wife Sophie on board  had departed for Balmoral at 2:39 p.m. despite being scheduled to depart at 1:30 p.m.

They were sitting on tarmac waiting for Harry, who was busy fighting on the phone with Charles, because he wanted Meghan to go to to HMQEII deathbed.

wannable

The Queen has a private collection of jewellery, which is filled with 300 items of jewellery, according to The Times, and includes 98 brooches, 46 necklaces, 34 pairs of earrings, 15 rings, 14 watches, and five pendants.

^Ingrid Seward says the collection has been decided who gets what since many months if not years ago. The Lion share goes to Princess of Wales.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on September 23, 2022, 11:49:12 AM
They were sitting on tarmac waiting for Harry, who was busy fighting on the phone with Charles, because he wanted Meghan to go to to HMQEII deathbed.

That?s your interpretation of it. We don?t know what the delay was about.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on September 23, 2022, 01:17:45 PM
The Queen has a private collection of jewellery, which is filled with 300 items of jewellery, according to The Times, and includes 98 brooches, 46 necklaces, 34 pairs of earrings, 15 rings, 14 watches, and five pendants.

^Ingrid Seward says the collection has been decided who gets what since many months if not years ago. The Lion share goes to Princess of Wales.

Ingrid Seward is a journalist and writer. She is and wasn?t privy to what the Queen had decided to do with her collection.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on September 23, 2022, 01:19:18 PM
It's in the latest article.

Oh well, if it?s in an article in a newspaper then it?s akin to the Tablets of the Old Testament then, lol!

wannable

Sounds true to me,  why would W, A, E and S sit on a RAF jet, tarmac for 1 hour as was reported by all the media? The flight was to leave as the quote I placed dated Sept. 8 was to leave at 1:30 p.m., they finally departed 2:30 p.m.

Harry as reported missed the flight and had to book a commercial flight, the last one available to Aberdeen.