The end of the monarchy in Portugal

Started by LouisFerdinand, September 28, 2018, 11:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

What happened to Portugal?s monarchy? ? Royal Central   
In this account I learned Alfredo da Costa jumped into the royal coach and attacked Luis Filipe, Prince Royal of Portugal. Luis Filipe drew his own gun. Another assassin fired at him.

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

While the family is no longer reigning, the family do have a certain status within the nation. They're frequently invited to government functions ie: state events.

LouisFerdinand

I wonder if King Carlos I and his son Luis Filipe, Prince Royal of Portugal had not been assassinated in 1908 and Carlos had remained the sovereign, would Portugal have remained a monarchy during the First World War?

Blue Clover

LouisFerdinand,

Good questions! Portugal was a super-monarchy (my own term  :teehee:) historically. I will do some research and learn more about the history of the Monarchy.

Thanks for posting this topic!  :goodpost: It's very interesting.

LouisFerdinand

@Blue Clover, Have you learned any more about the history of the monarchy of Portugal?

Blue Clover

@LouisFerdinand  I will post something on Friday, May 17th. Looking forward to it!  :flower:

LouisFerdinand

@Blue Clover, Have you learned any more about the history of the monarchy of Portugal?

Blue Clover

@LouisFerdinand  :teehee:

Part I:

I have learned that the Kingdom of Portugal was in existence from 1139 - 1910.
The House of Braganza - 1640 - 1910 (Is that right?)

What happened in 1910 to end Portugal's Monarchy?

In 1908 the Royal family was ambushed while riding in a carriage and the King (Carlos I) and Crown Prince (Luis Filipe) were killed - a double assassination. This happened in the context of rising anti-crown sentiments.

They say that Carlos I inherited a difficult crown and that the throne would tumble eventually.

Signs of the weakness of the Crown leading up to the assassination of Carlos I and his heir:

1. Royal family based in Brazil.

2. Power struggles in the ruling houses.

3. Claims of Portuguese sovereignty in parts of Africa were released - creating economic unrest.

4. Economic unrest escalated criticism of the monarchy.

5. Republican parties gained popularity.

6. The King of Portugal signed a decree in 1908 which would allow his government to send opponents into exile.  :eyes:

LouisFerdinand

@Blue Clover, Do you think that when the Royal Family was in Brazil, it would have been better for two or three Portuguese princes to have remained in Portugal?

Blue Clover

@LouisFerdinand I was hoping you would ask me questions! This is fun. Let me do some more reading and I will answer your question, which is excellent by the way.  :teehee:

LouisFerdinand

@Blue Clover, Do you like the variety of names that the monarchs of Portugal had?

Blue Clover

@LouisFerdinand

Is this the departure to Brazil we are talking about?  :)

"The transfer of the Portuguese Court to Brazil occurred with the strategic retreat of Queen Maria I of Portugal, Prince Regent John, also referred to as Dom Joao or Dom Joao VI, and the Braganza royal family and its court of nearly 15,000 people from Lisbon on November 29, 1807."

On the variety of names that the monarchy has been called?  :eyes:

"The Most Serene House of Braganza (Portuguese: Seren?ssima Casa de Bragan?a), or the Brigantine Dynasty (Dinastia Brigantina), also known in the Empire of Brazil as the Most August House of Braganza (Portuguese: August?ssima Casa de Bragan?a), is a dynasty of emperors, kings, princes, and dukes of Portuguese origin, a cadet branch of the House of Aviz."

On the variety of names the monarchs of Portugal have been called?  :o

The House of Burgundy (1139-1383)
-Alphonso I
-Sancho I
-Alphonso II
-Sancho II
-Alphonso III
-Denis I
-Alphonso IV
-Peter I
-Ferdinand I

The House of Aviz (1385-1581)
-John I
-Edward
-Alphonso V
-John II
-Emanual I
-John III
-Sebastian
-Henry II
-Antony

The House of Habsburg (1581-1640)
-Philip I
-Philip II
-Philip III

The House of Braganza (1640-1910)
-John IV
-Alphonso VI
-Peter II
-John V
-Joseph I
-Mary I
-Peter III
-John VI
-Mary II
-Michael I
-Ferdinand II
-Peter V
-Louis I
-Charles I
-Emmanuel II

LouisFerdinand

@Blue Clover, Yes to all the inquiries.     
Do you have a favorite name of a king?

Blue Clover

LouisFerdinand

I like the name of Teodosio. Teodosio, Prince of Brazil, Duke of Braganza (1634-1653) was the son and the heir apparent of King John IV of Portugal. However Teodosio predeceased his father.

Blue Clover

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on May 30, 2019, 12:18:44 AM
I like the name of Teodosio. Teodosio, Prince of Brazil, Duke of Braganza (1634-1653) was the son and the heir apparent of King John IV of Portugal. However Teodosio predeceased his father.

Very nice name! I would love to hear it pronounced properly.  :thumbsup:

LouisFerdinand

Blue Clover

LouisFerdinand

Infante Diogo, Duke of Viseu (1450-1484) was an older brother of Manuel I. On two occasions, King John II's life was in danger. As Diego of Viseu remained the leader of the upper nobility against the King's policies, John II accused him of high treason and personally killed him. John II was succeeded by his first cousin Manuel I. If Infante Diogo had not been killed, he could have reigned as King Diogo I.

LouisFerdinand

I like the fact that the second son of Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza has the first name of Dinis. Dinis (Denis) was the name of a King of Portugal.

LouisFerdinand

Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria was Queen of Portugal from 1708 to 1750. She was the wife of King John V of Portugal.     
Once she was head of her household, Maria Anna reformed her court and its customs to follow the traditions and customs of the traditional Queens of Portugal.

LouisFerdinand

In 1475 King Afonso V of Portugal married Infanta Juana of Castile. He did not have papal recognition.   
Was papal recognition necessary in order for him to marry Infanta Juana?

Macrobug67

He was 30 years older and her maternal uncle.   He married her for her claim on the Castile throne.  When that claim went south after losing the war against the other claimant - Isabella and Ferninand- and the marriage was annulled by Pope Sixtus IV on grounds of consanguinity, Alfonso gave up.