The 1995 Panorama Interview and the Investigation into the BBC

Started by Mike, August 31, 2018, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Amabel2 on November 16, 2020, 07:55:15 PM
Diana had a lot of problems. She suffered from depression and mood swiings, she was bulimic, she cut herself and possibly made some half hearted suicide attempts.  She was easily roused to suspicion of people, to the point of paranoia...
Diana didn't trust her mother.. She flared up very hotly over teh issue of Frances giving an interview about the HRH.. and refused to give her mother the benefit of the doubt....Frances made attempts to contact her in the last few months of her life but Diana wouldn't talk to her...And they had had rows before that,  Di disapproved strongly of heavy drinking and was cool with her mother when she began to drink.. and they rowed apparently about Di's dating Muslim men. I wouldn't take the Will too seriously as Diana was a young woman and probably didn't seriously think she would predecease her mother.. or she may simply have not thought about it at all. She had a lot going on at the time...

Diana didnt have 'a lot of problems'. She had ppd and her sadness and 'mood swings' was because she was trapped in a situation which she did not agree to. Her 'paranoia' stemmed from her marriage also because her husband was cheating on her and her surrounding was gaslighting her. This would upset anyone to say the very least. Even her psychologist, Dr. Lipsedge his name was I believe, said that there was nothing wrong with her and her problem stemmed from her marriage. Unfortunately men from her class tend to classify outspoken women who dare to stand up for themselves as 'crazy' and 'unpredictable'.

Diana did not distrust her mother. On the contrary, she trusted her so much that she specifically requested that her mother be counselled in the rearing of her sons should anything happen to her. She never changed this even when she froze Frances out. Says alot.

I don't believe Frances objected to Dianas dating life. For one, Diana was not on speaking terms with her when she started dating Fayed. Diana had dated Khan then for two years so why didnt Frances object earlier? Considering that the source came from Burrell, and Simmons mainly I think the sources are not very credible. I am sorry. And Khan is no shining beacon of morality himself.

The likely reason Diana did not speak to Frances was because Frances foolishly spoke to a magazine about her daughters divorce proceedings. This was irresponsible and could have jeopardised negotiations. This is what angered Diana. Diana obviously thought it was wise enough to write a will and if she had had enough of her mother certainly she would not leave it to chance and have her mother left in the will. She kept her there and that says alot. IMO. Meanwhile none of those people speaking out about Frances would have been in Dianas life permanently.

Besides the interview Frances gave where she said that Diana did not need her HRH, she never once betrayed Dianas trust and spoke about anything they discussed. She kept everything to herself. Frances was honorable and trustworthy inspite of the perception of her being a 'bolter' and a 'bad' mother. Something that cannot be said of the aforementioned people who had the gall to criticize her.

Double post auto-merged: November 23, 2020, 07:22:35 PM

Quote from: TLLK on November 11, 2020, 04:45:52 PM
I have the exact same questions @oak_and_cedar!

@TLLK  I cant but help thinking that something in the milk ain't clean. I do believe that Panorama helped Diana more than it damaged her. This will be a very interesting  case to follow...

Curryong

I've always loved Diana, whom I absolutely feel got a rotten deal when she became Charles's young fiancee, a girl not privy to Charles's unchanging feelings for another woman. I've always said that, regardless of pressure, Charles, knowing his feelings, should have remained a bachelor. So, obviously, I agree with many of your points.

I'm not so struck as you are though, on the constantly good relations between Diana and Frances. There were so many undercurrents there between them, love yes, but also decade old resentments, guilt perhaps on Frances' part, the unhappiness of both women in the private lives with cheating husbands (Shand Kydd and Charles) and many unresolved issues from all this that spilled over into their private lives. And Frances did drink heavily in her last years, exacerbating a lot of it.

The QM (yes her!) once said (before the marriage) that the Spencers as a family were 'difficult'. And there's no doubt that aristocratic families like the Bowes Lyons know about other such clans. And when you add the instability of the Roches to the hot temper etc of the Spencers, with both families having a history of intractability and stubbornness, there's a combination! Sparks flew in both Diana's and Frances's personal relationships. Not all the time, but regularly. Nothing was comfy cosy for years at a time.

Why do you say that Hasnet Khan was 'no beacon of morality himself', btw? I've never heard he was a womaniser or adulterer or anything.

oak_and_cedar

Well I dont think that their relationship was without its problems as you also write. I do however think that the love they had for each other was deeper than any disagreements that they might have had. I am basing this on their own words and actions. Frances stood up for Diana and was very loyal even after she had passed away. There is no written credible account, none whatsoever, of Frances speaking in any way that might be considered disparaging of Diana. Now of course they did probably have their arguments in private. I also think that Diana had come to forgive Frances, just as she forgave Raine. The very fact that Diana had Frances in her will as someone who should be counselled with regards to the upbringing of her children, speaks volumes about Dianas estimation of her mother.

I never meant to imply that Khan was an adulterer. That would be unfair since there is no information out there regarding this. People accuse Frances of something of which there is no proof of, namely that she objected to Khans religion. I think Khan mentioned it also?  Khan, in the inquiry of Dianas death, if I remember correctly, said that Diana had acted strangely and thought the reason was her cheating or meeting someone else.  I thought that was in very poor taste to put forth a theory of which there was no basis. It came across as manipulative and a case of sour grapes. Diana might have discussed her some aspects of her relationship with her mother and other people close to her who might then have given their opinion.   So I meant to say that people who accuse others are no angels themselves and have agendas of their own. But this is just IMO.

The only other people who said similar things were Burrell who is simply not operating in reality and had a vendetta against Frances who testified against him, and Simmons who claimed that Diana slept with JFK jr and tried c-ke. Khan was and is more sly IMO.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on November 23, 2020, 07:45:43 PM

I'm not so struck as you are though, on the constantly good relations between Diana and Frances. There were so many undercurrents there between them, love yes, but also decade old resentments, guilt perhaps on Frances' part, the unhappiness of both women in the private lives with cheating husbands (Shand Kydd and Charles) and many unresolved issues from all this that spilled over into their private lives. And Frances did drink heavily in her last years, exacerbating a lot of it.

Why do you say that Hasnet Khan was 'no beacon of morality himself', btw? I've never heard he was a womaniser or adulterer or anything.
I think its blindingly obvious that the relationship between Diana and her mother (AND the relationship with her father) was very volaitle...  full of rows and dramas and not speaking.  The Spencers ARE like that, but with Di it seemed a bit worse than average... I think its obvious that she tried to get over her childhood feeling of abandonment but she was  not able to do so and when she and Frances got angry, or seh felt that Frances was acting up, her childhood feelings bubbled up again and she felt the same anger and mis?ry that she had as a little girl when her mother walked out.  And Frances did drink heavily which Diana strongly disapproved of... and probably when she was drinking she said things that she might have refrained form if she hadn't been driniking...Possibly she didn't even remember them but I can well beleive that she did criticise Di for her affairs or because the men were foreigners or Muslims.. and Diana lashed out at her. 

Double post auto-merged: November 23, 2020, 11:20:09 PM

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on November 23, 2020, 08:23:01 PM
. I also think that Diana had come to forgive Frances, just as she forgave Raine. The very fact that Diana had Frances in her will as someone who should be counselled with regards to the upbringing of her children, speaks volumes about Dianas estimation of her mother.

The only other people who said similar things were Burrell who is simply not operating in reality and had a vendetta against Frances who testified against him, and Simmons who claimed that Diana slept with JFK jr and tried c-ke. Khan was and is more sly IMO.
Khan was right in that Diana split up with him when she started seeing Dodi, that was what he said as I recall.. that she was acting strangely and he thought she mgiht have met someone else.  She had, Dodi, and she told him that, and he was shocked as well he might be that she'd gotten involved in the Fayed family..  I dont think you realize that they are not well thought of in the UK... and they certainly didn't look after Diana very well.
There's no evidence that Diana had forgiven her mother.  She did often fall out with people and refuse to take their calls but then sometimes she did get back with them but it was her calling them..   When Frances got the phone call to say that Di had been in an accident she said that she had hoped it was her daughter calling to make up the quarrel... but it was a friend calling to say that Diana was injured. If Di had forgiven her mother I'm sure she would have called her up and made things up or just started talking again but she didn't. She may not have thought of her WIll, which had been made a while before... and which was probably something she had been advised to do.. She was very young to think of dying, and she had probably been advised that she ought to have a will in place just in case she did die prematurely, I would say she didn't really consider taking her mother out of it.. because, she didn't think too much about it.
Sadly I think at the end of her life, she hadn't mended fences wiht her mother.. and Frances lost her with no reconcilation. 

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Amabel2 on November 23, 2020, 11:11:19 PM
Khan was right in that Diana split up with him when she started seeing Dodi, that was what he said as I recall.. that she was acting strangely and he thought she mgiht have met someone else.  She had, Dodi, and she told him that, and he was shocked as well he might be that she'd gotten involved in the Fayed family..  I dont think you realize that they are not well thought of in the UK... and they certainly didn't look after Diana very well.
There's no evidence that Diana had forgiven her mother.  She did often fall out with people and refuse to take their calls but then sometimes she did get back with them but it was her calling them..   When Frances got the phone call to say that Di had been in an accident she said that she had hoped it was her daughter calling to make up the quarrel... but it was a friend calling to say that Diana was injured. If Di had forgiven her mother I'm sure she would have called her up and made things up or just started talking again but she didn't. She may not have thought of her WIll, which had been made a while before... and which was probably something she had been advised to do.. She was very young to think of dying, and she had probably been advised that she ought to have a will in place just in case she did die prematurely, I would say she didn't really consider taking her mother out of it.. because, she didn't think too much about it.
Sadly I think at the end of her life, she hadn't mended fences wiht her mother.. and Frances lost her with no reconcilation.

Diana had moved on and that was entirely her right. Her acting 'strangely' is merely his interpretation and he comes across as manipulative but masquerades as caring. Diana is not here to tell her side of the story. However, her actions are very clear. She moved on from Khan even quicker than Hewitt, and even prince Charles. I don't think leaving that relationship was a loss for Diana. She seemed happy and enjoying herself which leads me to believe she made the right decision.

Diana and her family had known the Fayeds for over a decade and MAF even held charities where the RF attended so their reputation couldn't have been all that bad. Khan must've known that Diana knew them for a long time. His remarks only came after Diana had begun to date Dodi which I believe affected his ego and was the reason for his unkind remarks.
Who was Khan to make judgement on someone else?

Diana was well taken care of during that vacation. She was with them for weeks and nothing remotely bad had happened except for that fateful night which was an accident.

I meant that Diana had forgiven Frances for her childhood. Diana not speaking temporarily to Frances was not an issue. She would have contacted her eventually. I don't believe that Frances was an angel and  I think she made many mistakes. However, I truly believe that she loved all her children deeply and had Dianas best interest at heart. I think Diana valued her counsel and would definetly have reached out again.

Amabel2

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on November 24, 2020, 05:47:20 AM
Diana had moved on and that was entirely her right. Her acting 'strangely' is merely his interpretation and he comes across as manipulative but masquerades as caring. Diana is not here to tell her side of the story. However, her actions are very clear. She moved on from Khan even quicker than Hewitt, and even prince Charles. I don't think leaving that relationship was a loss for Diana. She seemed happy and enjoying herself which leads me to believe she made the right decision.

Diana and her family had known the Fayeds for over a decade and MAF even held charities where the RF attended so their reputation couldn't have been all that bad. Khan must've known that Diana knew them for a long time. His remarks only came after Diana had begun to date Dodi which I believe affected his ego and was the reason for his unkind remarks.
Who was Khan to make judgement on someone else?

Diana was well taken care of during that vacation. She was with them for weeks and nothing remotely bad had happened except for that fateful night which was an accident.

I meant that Diana had forgiven Frances for her childhood. Diana not speaking temporarily to Frances was not an issue. She would have contacted her eventually. I don't believe that Frances was an angel and  I think she made many mistakes. However, I truly believe that she loved all her children deeply and had Dianas best interest at heart. I think Diana valued her counsel and would definetly have reached out again.
Diana may have been happy with Dodi Fayed for a week or 2 but how happy was she going to be with a man who was not just seeing but engaged to another woman?  According to people who sympathise with her she had already experienced a marriage to a man who had deep feelings for another woman where he ended up in an affair with her.. and that didn't work out well, did it?  Dodi was at best a silly weak man who had had no career, no success in his life and led an aimless playboy existence.  That might be fun for a few weeks to have a man who had plenty of time and money to take her on holidays... but the evidence about their relationship shows Diana as very ambivalent about him and about their affair, more than once telling people that it was just a light summer fling.. and that she didn't intend it to be serious..
She wasn't "well taken care of".  In spite of all MAFs money, he didn't spend enough on bodyguards to keep the press away, and Dodi messed the bodyguards around with his stupid plans.. so that they couldn't do their job properly.  I'd hardly say that an affiar that only lasted about 5 weeks went well or that Diana was taken care of, when it ended with the tragic death of 3 people.. MAF didn't look after his son's girlfriend at all well...
THey had a few weeks of fun, but the last days of the holiday were not that happy with the press bothering them, and with Dodi messing around.. and then it ended in tragedy.. How on earth could that be evidence that the Fayeds took care of Diana?
Khan was right to believe that Diana's reputation would be affected by her relationship.. MAF had a bad reputation as dishonest and sleazy, and when she took holidays from him, she did begin to get criticism.   When she started to Date Dodi, at first the press and many of the public were pleased to see her out having fun with a man.. because nothing was known of Dodi at the time... but before long it emerged that Dodi was a far from satisfactory character and she got  criticism for getting herself involved with the family..
As for Frances, yes of course Diana would probably have spoken to her again.  Very few people completely break up with their mother permanently.  But their relationship was not a very solid one and was marred by tension and unease.  Diana had forgiven her for her desertion in childhood in theory, but in practice when Di was upset, she reverted to the lonely frightened little girl who was sitting at home waiting for her mother to come back and she got angry and upset.  Then she lashed out at her mother.  They had been non speakers for about 4 months over what wasn't that big a deal..and there was no sign of them making up.  Frances had tried to get in touch with her again but had not been able to because Diana had refused to take her calls...

oak_and_cedar

Dodi left his fianc?e for Diana and he did have a job as a movie producer.

Going on a vacation with family and someone she dated would not affect her reputation. She is still beloved til this day. What would affect her reputation was if she had stayed with a man that was not interested in solidating a relationship. But who instead was fine with seeing Diana indefinetly in secrecy. That would be crass, and in very poor taste to carry on in this manner. Like I said, it was sour grapes on Khans part. Diana had already moved on.

Diana was rightfully upset when Frances spoke about Dianas divorce. She would have spoken to Frances again and their relationship was indeed strong if Diana chose her mother alongside Sarah to be counselled in matters concerning her children. Frances never betrayed Dianas trust after her passing away and was loyal all her remaning years towards Diana.

Amabel2

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on November 24, 2020, 09:52:05 AM

Going on a vacation with family and someone she dated would not affect her reputation. She is still beloved til this day. What would affect her reputation was if she had stayed with a man that was not interested in solidating a relationship. But who instead was fine with seeing Diana indefinetly in secrecy. That would be crass, and in very poor taste to carry on in this manner. Like I said, it was sour grapes on Khans part. Diana had already moved on.

Diana was rightfully upset when Frances spoke about Dianas divorce. She would have spoken to Frances again and their relationship was indeed strong if Diana chose her mother alongside Sarah to be counselled in matters concerning her children. Frances never betrayed Dianas trust after her passing away and was loyal all her remaning years towards Diana.
OK I think there's no point in going on is there?  I've more than once pointed out that Di's affiar with Dodi and her open friendship with the Fayeds DID damage her reputation at the time. and that Dodi didn't have a job.. and that he ditched his fiancee at the clicks of his father's fingers, to pursue a romance with Diana  - that probably would have ended in a few weeks as she got fed up with him.  You obviously dont want to believe that Dodi was a far from satisfactory character and that Khan is the bad guy..
So Im done ....
Re Frances Diana's relationship with her obviously wasn't very strong when  they were rowing over Diana's boyfriends and when Di could turn against her mother over an interview, having said that , Frances knew that Diana was upset over losing the HRH, and so it was stupid and tactless of her to say in an interview that it was for the best....

oak_and_cedar

First of all, I would like to ask you to not put words into my mouth. How you interpret what I write is entirely up to you but don't write a statement in black and white and equal it to what I posted.

I have not written anything that elevated Fayed to a saintly character and Khan to a 'bad guy'. To summarize it as such is patently untrue. First of all, it is perfectly legitimate to criticize someone for their words and actions without painting them as 'bad'. I have also previously criticized Fayed and his intentions. I suspect to critize these men must be difficult because then it might absolve Diana of blame that she might not have deserved in the first place.

I was also pointing out that Diana is still loved more than two decades after her death. Whatever criticism she received was therefore shallow and probably hyped up by the media who lack a moral compass IMO.

Frances made a mistake which she payed for. Rightfully. There is no evidence that Diana would have stop speaking to her forever. People argue and make mistakes. It's human nature.

sara8150

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on November 24, 2020, 09:52:05 AM

Yes Fayeds know Diana for decades since she married to Prince Charles and her father been friend with Fayeds I?m not surprised that and HM Queen Elizabeth II wouldnt approved with Muslims when date Diana after she divorce from Prince Charles in August 1996

Dodi Fayeds is producer for big name in Hollywood and his American fianc?e Kelly Fisher leave him for good but Kelly knew he hide from her and Kelly found out Dodi had affair with Princess Diana and Kelly Fisher and Dodi got engagement off for good!! But Kelly told reporters and she had sapphire engagement but same Diana?s and Kate also

Double post auto-merged: November 25, 2020, 02:05:31 AM

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on November 24, 2020, 10:49:45 AM
First of all, I would like to ask you to not put words into my mouth. How you interpret what I write is entirely up to you but don't write a statement in black and white and equal it to what I posted.

I have not written anything that elevated Fayed to a saintly character and Khan to a 'bad guy'. To summarize it as such is patently untrue. First of all, it is perfectly legitimate to criticize someone for their words and actions without painting them as 'bad'. I have also previously criticized Fayed and his intentions. I suspect to critize these men must be difficult because then it might absolve Diana of blame that she might not have deserved in the first place.

I was also pointing out that Diana is still loved more than two decades after her death. Whatever criticism she received was therefore shallow and probably hyped up by the media who lack a moral compass IMO.

Frances made a mistake which she payed for. Rightfully. There is no evidence that Diana would have stop speaking to her forever. People argue and make mistakes. It's human nature.

I?m agreed with you

Double post auto-merged: November 25, 2020, 06:03:44 PM

Princess Diana's brother Earl Spencer speaks out on 'appalling' BBC Panorama scandal | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: November 26, 2020, 12:13:02 AM

Princess Diana might still be alive if it wasn't for Martin Bashir interview, says TV host Richard Madeley

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: sara8150 on November 25, 2020, 02:05:03 AM
Yes Fayeds know Diana for decades since she married to Prince Charles and her father been friend with Fayeds I?m not surprised that and HM Queen Elizabeth II wouldnt approved with Muslims when date Diana after she divorce from Prince Charles in August 1996

Dodi Fayeds is producer for big name in Hollywood and his American fianc?e Kelly Fisher leave him for good but Kelly knew he hide from her and Kelly found out Dodi had affair with Princess Diana and Kelly Fisher and Dodi got engagement off for good!! But Kelly told reporters and she had sapphire engagement but same Diana?s and Kate also

Double post auto-merged: November 25, 2020, 02:05:31 AM

I?m agreed with you

Double post auto-merged: November 25, 2020, 06:03:44 PM

Princess Diana might still be alive if it wasn't for Martin Bashir interview, says TV host Richard Madeley

Thank you for your comments Sarah. Although I must say, in my opinion, I don't think the Queen cared if Diana dated someone with different religion. Though please let me know if I misunderstood you.

And I think this TV host Richard is being dramatic...

Amabel2

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on November 26, 2020, 07:23:31 AM
Thank you for your comments Sarah. Although I must say, in my opinion, I don't think the Queen cared if Diana dated someone with different religion. Though please let me know if I misunderstood you.

And I think this TV host Richard is being dramatic...

The queen didn't care WHAT Diana did, she was no longer a member of the RF.  She could date whom she wanted.   
And this interview with Bashir DID push Diana out of the RF, since she was foolish enough to comment on the succession and to show hostility towards the RF....It was ultimately Di's choice to do the interview but Bashir's behaviour was still appalling.  He played on her paranoia, and made her feel more alienated from and suspicious of the RF and more willing to do something that would finally cut the cord with the RF.. and then she was reliant on herself.. and depending on rich friends to look after her, in matters of security...

oak_and_cedar

No, I dont think HM cared who Diana dated. That was entirely Dianas business.

It wasnt the interview itself that 'pushed' Diana out of the RF. It was the back and forth between her and her ex-husband. Perhaps HM didn't want that to continue so she drew the line there.

What hostility did she show? She mostly tried to clear her name if I remember the transcripts correctly. She gave her general opinion on the effect the 'top job' would have on PC iirc.

How did he play on her 'paranoia'? The verdict is still out and Bashir needs to explain himself. That does not mean I think he's a saint, mind you. And Diana has been portrayed in negative ways after her passing and there were leaks against her before, so I wouldn't directly classify it as paranoia.

Amabel2

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on November 28, 2020, 09:15:11 PM

How did he play on her 'paranoia'? The verdict is still out and Bashir needs to explain himself. That does not mean I think he's a saint, mind you. And Diana has been portrayed in negative ways after her passing and there were leaks against her before, so I wouldn't directly classify it as paranoia.
Diana was obviously easily prone to beleive all sorts of things, if she beleived it when told that Edward was ill and that the queen was ill....  She was paranoic and Bashir pressed on those buttons and made her worse... Even if it was her responsibilty to agree to do the interview, which did cause the queen to insist on a divorce, Bashir lied to her and forged documents to back up what he was saying and to convince Diana not to trust people who might have advised her against the interview... and the interview was a disaster for her, severing her completely from the RF..

Curryong

Bashir seems to have recovered from whatever ailed him, then, and is finding that he needs some money. Probably a lot of lawyers to pay in the future!

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Amabel2 on November 29, 2020, 01:00:39 PM
Diana was obviously easily prone to beleive all sorts of things, if she beleived it when told that Edward was ill and that the queen was ill....  She was paranoic and Bashir pressed on those buttons and made her worse... Even if it was her responsibilty to agree to do the interview, which did cause the queen to insist on a divorce, Bashir lied to her and forged documents to back up what he was saying and to convince Diana not to trust people who might have advised her against the interview... and the interview was a disaster for her, severing her completely from the RF..

Diana was not 'paranoic' and 'easily prone to believe all sorts of things'. We do not know that she believed that Edward and HM were ill. She might have based her decision for doing the interview on other factors. Diana is not here to confirm or deny, so it's all hearsay as far as I'm concerned.

The interview was not a 'disaster'. It got her point across, and made it more difficult for people who were bent on shaping the narrative by portraying her in a certain way.

HM ordered the divorce because she was perhaps afraid of there being a back and forth. And she wasn't 'severed completely' from the RF. She was the mother to a future king and was invited to anything that had to do with Prince William and Harry. She even kept her home in Kensington Palace and carried on with her work.

Double post auto-merged: December 06, 2020, 07:54:23 AM

Quote from: Curryong on December 04, 2020, 08:23:16 PM
Bashir seems to have recovered from whatever ailed him, then, and is finding that he needs some money. Probably a lot of lawyers to pay in the future!

Isn't it easier to sue someone in the UK for libel? He's probably afraid people are emboldened to do so.

To be honest, journalism in the UK does not seem to be bound by morals, put it that way.

Wasn't it Piers Morgans magazine, when he was an editor, that hacked phones of victims? Or am I mistaken? Yet this man is still allowed to be on air and pontificate. Honestly. It boggles the mind. But then, most people in his profession are no paragons of virtue, sadly.

Curryong

No indeed, Oak, journalists certainly aren't paragons of virtue. And Piers Morgan is a prime example of that. An ancient but interesting article from the Guardian addresses the phone hacking, which Morgan has always denied he had a hand in, and his other 'professional' activities. It's written by a fellow journalist who knows him well.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/jul/29/piersmorgan-phone-hackingy

Curryong

And another delightful Press tactic...

Karen Daynes, consultant forensic psychologist who often appears in the media, previously told Insider that she has been asked questions designed to achieve a negative and misleading response about Markle.

"I have been asked (by British, more right-wing media) to comment on Harry and Meghan in my capacity as an expert in coercive control," Daynes told Insider.

"I have been asked leading questions along the lines of, 'Can you confirm that isolating someone from their family is a tactic used by controlling partners?'"