The 1995 Panorama Interview and the Investigation into the BBC

Started by Mike, August 31, 2018, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oak_and_cedar

Im not entirely sure I believe Khan tbh. Ive read the interview and it sounds like he's speaking for Diana if that makes sense.

This is just my opinion but the way I see it is him saying Diana was vulnerable and Bashir took advantage of that vulnerability. She might have based her decisions on other factors and decided to do the interview based on those reasons. Again, and I must reiterate that this is my personal opinion and I can be wrong, but this to me is talk similar to what he's said before, and I think his image of Diana was her being emotional, vulnerable and instinctive. It almost comes across as her being portrayed at excelling at the emotional but lacking in the 'intellectual' if that makes sense.

One other thing I find slightly interesting is him claiming her reasoning was that PC had made an interview with Dimbleby and thus she was also entitled to do one. And his response was 'two wrongs don't make a right'. I personally believe that he might have misunderstood her explanation. If one looks back, Diana was 'leaked against' for the better part of a decade with all sorts of insinuations towards her. She only began to fight back with the Morton book. The Dimbleby interview with it's revelations set things on a whole other course and Diana was perfectly within her right to make a response to that. Had she not made the Panorama interview the slander against her might have escalated, as it did after her passing. Him not thinking from that POV indicates a shallowness IMO.

To me, it almost seems like he's portraying himself as being the one being mature and logical and talking sense to Diana. I think Diana was a logical, intelligent person who was capable of thinking things through and doing a thorough analysis and planning. She would not have been able to survive and excell for almost 20 years in her situation and enviroment had she not.  This is just an conclusion on my part and my personal opinion but I think Diana also had begun to see through Khan and his perception of her as time went on. This might be slightly arrogant of me to assume, but I will go ahead and do so anyway, seeing as this is a discussion board and we can discuss our opinions (provided that we do so in a respectful manner) but I don't think he knew Diana all that well. 23 years after her passing and he still speaks of her in what I would like to call an almost dismissive tone.

Its difficult to explain but if one took his words at their surface value he comes across as someone stellar, it's only when you read his statements a bit more carefully that they become a bit more suspicious. And repetitive, with him always trying to be reasonable while Diana was not. He did the same thing in the 2007 inquiry where he claimed that he knew Diana so well as to know that she had 'acted strangely' and surmised that the reason might have been her cheating. First he speculated about it being the bodyguard if I remember correctly. It simply cannot have been that she had had enough of the relationship going nowhere and deciding to move on. She might have not have been that in love by then at all, but this is just IMO and I obviously cannot speak for Diana. However, her moving on so quickly does lend some credibility to this claim.

Though Khan was a part of her life and should of course give his opinion, at the end of the day only Diana can speak up and confirm or deny. And shes not here to do so.

I was also a bit surprised at W and H keeping in touch with him but that's how it's done in those circles I suppose.

I will also add one more thing, I think Diana was not just clever but genuinely intelligent. More so than Dr. Khan IMO. There's something about him that doesn't sit right with me. I don't know how to explain it, but  he comes across as a bit calculated IMO with his wordings, slightly 'artistic' with his words if I can put it that way, a bit slick. Don't know how else to put it. And I wouldn't be surprised if Diana was eventually on to him. But this of course IMO. I could be wrong.

dianab

Khan sounds very clueless about her life and motives. Barbara Walters is quoted in several Diana bios, she undertands that Diana was looking for a reporter to give a interview for some time before november 1995.

iirc she says diana asked her a lot of questions about the behind the scenes of a interview. what was the ideal clothing, make-up etc

To me, It's obvious that Diana was no victim of Bashir. If her sons dont understand or support her motives, it's their business. But they shouldnt (want) rewrite her story.

How for Khan her then boyfriend dont being supportive of her motives being aware of all she went through looks very bad imo. Problably he prefered there was no interview then Diana would have keep their relationship secret forever

Amabel2

Diana's relationship with Khan had nothing to do with the interview.  Diana may have wanted a platform to put forward her point of view but she was (a) not very stable and it was a bad idea and (b) she was lied to by Bashir, who pressed her into the interview by teling her lies and feeding her paranoia. And the interview pushed the queen to order a divorce and created a final alienation between Diana and the RF..

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: dianab on January 17, 2021, 03:57:04 PM
Khan sounds very clueless about her life and motives. Barbara Walters is quoted in several Diana bios, she undertands that Diana was looking for a reporter to give a interview for some time before november 1995.

iirc she says diana asked her a lot of questions about the behind the scenes of a interview. what was the ideal clothing, make-up etc

To me, It's obvious that Diana was no victim of Bashir. If her sons dont understand or support her motives, it's their business. But they shouldnt (want) rewrite her story.

How for Khan her then boyfriend dont being supportive of her motives being aware of all she went through looks very bad imo. Problably he prefered there was no interview then Diana would have keep their relationship secret forever

I agree, @dianab .

I don't think Diana was a fool. I think she knew what she was doing. And her sons I think don't see her viewpoint. Not the same outlook I guess.

I think this is a way for Khan to put his own spin out there. I wouldn't necessarily put much trust in his version, or in his intentions to be completely honest.

But this is all just in my opinion.

Amabel2

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on January 20, 2021, 07:43:25 PM
I agree, @dianab .

I don't think Diana was a fool. I think she knew what she was doing. And her sons I think don't see her viewpoint. Not the same outlook I guess.

I think this is a way for Khan to put his own spin out there. I wouldn't necessarily put much trust in his version, or in his intentions to be completely honest.

But this is all just in my opinion.
If diana knew waht she was doing, how come she seemed very surprised and angry when the queen ordered a divorce?  She was not IMO expecting that at all.. and yet once she had said the explosives' things she did, she had cut herself off completely from any kind of relationship with the RF and divorce was inevitable.  of course her sons didn't want her to end up with a divorce which left her completely alienated from their birth family and on bad terms with them..  It led to the whole scenario of her cutting off from people who might disapprove of her at times but who didn't want her to put herself in danger...and she unfortunately ended depedning on all sorts of random people to advise her and provide her with security

oak_and_cedar

Being surprised and angry at a divorce does not mean she did not know what she was doing.

Diana did not depend on random people.

Amabel2

Why would she be surprised and angry at the divorce, when her actions had seemed to provoke it?  She and Charles had both admitted to affairs, they were clearly unable to stay married.. and she had questioned the succession.  The queen had tried to keep them formally married but she was not going to do that when Diana had questioned the succession, which is laid down by parliament...
She clealry did depend on random people though many of them warned her against doing that interview and she went ahead and did it anyway...

oak_and_cedar

Alot of the same people that supposedly warned her of doing that interview or disapproved of it turned out to be untrustworthy anyway. Jephson, Warfe etc. Lots of people afraid of the gravy train stopping. This included people in her personal life. imo. Lot of individuals with their own self interest, as evidenced to this day, where they see it fit to chime in on different occasions. Diana is not here to give her side of the story. I would take what others have said with a pinch of salt.

Amabel2

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on January 22, 2021, 09:25:34 AM
Alot of the same people that supposedly warned her of doing that interview or disapproved of it turned out to be untrustworthy anyway. Jephson, Warfe etc. Lots of people afraid of the gravy train stopping. This included people in her personal life. imo. Lot of individuals with their own self interest, as evidenced to this day, where they see it fit to chime in on different occasions. Diana is not here to give her side of the story. I would take what others have said with a pinch of salt.
Do you reallly think anyone with her best interests at heart would advise her to speak in public, criticise the RF and quesiton the succession???

sara8150

Quote from: Amabel2 on January 20, 2021, 08:43:57 PM
If diana knew waht she was doing, how come she seemed very surprised and angry when the queen ordered a divorce?  She was not IMO expecting that at all.. and yet once she had said the explosives' things she did, she had cut herself off completely from any kind of relationship with the RF and divorce was inevitable.  of course her sons didn't want her to end up with a divorce which left her completely alienated from their birth family and on bad terms with them..  It led to the whole scenario of her cutting off from people who might disapprove of her at times but who didn't want her to put herself in danger...and she unfortunately ended depedning on all sorts of random people to advise her and provide her with security

Yes HM Queen order divorce in taboilds and HM Queen makes decisions is finalized for stripped HRH but Diana is no longer members of royal family but HM Queen says Diana will know as Diana,Princess of Wales or Princess Diana in public but Diana is mother of future King of England expect Duke of Cambridge know as Prince William but William will become King one day after his dad and Grandmother the Queen Elizabeth II

Double post auto-merged: January 23, 2021, 12:40:57 AM

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on January 22, 2021, 09:25:34 AM

Diana been gone since 1997 for almost 24 years since she died but her son Duke of Cambridge,Duke of Sussex and Diana?s brother Charles Spencer will permission to investigation on his mother?s 1995 interview include BBC its private matters for Duke of Cambridge,Duke of Sussex and Spencer family?s watch

TLLK

From the BBC article.

QuoteThe BBC investigation is looking at the steps Bashir and the corporation took to secure the interview.

Lord Dyson, who was Master of the Rolls - the second most senior judge in England and Wales - for four years until he retired in October 2016, is leading the probe.

The BBC said it was handing over "all of its relevant records" to him.

It has revealed that a previously missing note from Diana, thought to indicate she was happy with the way her interview by BBC Panorama was obtained, had been found.

If the late Diana, Princess of Wales indicated that she was content and/or pleased with how the interview was obtained then I can see why there won't be an investigation.

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on March 04, 2021, 10:30:39 PM
From the BBC article.

If the late Diana, Princess of Wales indicated that she was content and/or pleased with how the interview was obtained then I can see why there won't be an investigation.
but it doesn't alter the fact that she was lied to and manipulated into the interview. I think she would have spoken to SOMEONE on TV abut her marriage around that time.. so there was no need to play dirty tricks and to increase her paranonia...

oak_and_cedar

looks to me like they're throwing Bashir under the buss, imo. Not that he's a paragon of virtue mind you, but journalists these days aren't exactly 'honorable' so I don't think he's worse than anyone else.

sara8150

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-57163815
Report due is may 14 last week Friday

BBC's ex-boss Lord Tony Hall says he was 'wrong to give Martin Bashir the benefit of the doubt' | Daily Mail Online

Sensational false claims in Earl Spencer's scribbled notes from Bashir meeting | Daily Mail Online

Lord Hall is 'worried' he could lose role as chairman of the National Gallery | Daily Mail Online

One of Diana's friends insists she would still be alive if she hadn't been 'conned' by Martin Bashir | Daily Mail Online

Martin Bashir Used 'Deceit' to Secure 1995 Princess Diana Interview | PEOPLE.com

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57189371

Martin Bashir 'deceived and induced' Princess Diana's brother to get bombshell Panorama interview, BBC report finds | UK News | Sky News

Former BBC chiefs told to expect criticism in Diana interview inquiry | BBC | The Guardian

Martin Bashir used ?deceitful behaviour? to secure Diana interview, report finds | BBC | The Guardian

'BBC should be prosecuted!' Fury erupts as Bashir used 'deceit' to secure Diana interview | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

BBC to fight 'tooth and nail' as Diana report threatens company 'Last nail in coffin' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

BBC 'covered up' and 'fell short of high standards of integrity' over Princess Diana interview | ITV News

BBC Princess Diana interview report: Key points to look out for | ITV News

Martin Bashir did deceive his way to famous Diana BBC Panorama interview, report finds - Mirror Online

Biggest bombshells from Martin Bashir's infamous Panorama interview with Princess Diana - Mirror Online

Earl Spencer shares sweet childhood beach picture of Diana ahead of Panorama report - Mirror Online

Martin Bashir probe could lead to 'huge damages claims from BBC and royal staff' - Mirror Online

Martin Bashir DID fake bank statements to deceive Princess Diana into giving Panorama interview - and BBC covered it up

Princess Diana?s pal says she'd still be alive today if it wasn't for Martin Bashir interview

Princess Diana in never-before-seen picture shared by brother Earl Spencer hours before Bashir reveal

Martin Bashir Princess Diana interview: When was it and why is it controversial? ? The Sun

BBC?s former Director General apologises after Martin Bashir found to have used ?rogue methods? to secure Diana interview ? Royal Central

Martin Bashir 'deceived and induced' to secure BBC interview with Princess Diana, report finds | GMA

Martin Bashir used deceit in 1995 Princess Diana interview, report is expected to say

wannable

Mr Bashir, 58,  'employed deceitful methods' and 'breached' guidelines to secure his famous interview with the royal, a judge-led inquiry has concluded

Poor Diana, she fell into a trap willingly or not, paranoid or not...

A jaw-dropping list of smears and lies allegedly peddled by Martin Bashir to clinch his sensational Princess Diana scoop was recorded by her brother.

'Queen eats for comfort, Edward has AIDS, Camilla is depressed, Charles is in love with the Nanny'