The War of the Wales' discussion Part 3

Started by LouisFerdinand, October 06, 2017, 12:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

If you mean Dodi, he didn't buy anything because he never had enough money.  The presents for Diana came from MAF really.
Do you mean that Dodi pretened to have work related phone calls to impress Diana?  I thought that you believed he was working on his film production?

oak_and_cedar

MAF gave his son a large monthly allowance with which he could do as he pleased.

Working on film productions in not a 9-5 job everyday of the year.

Besides, I did not say he pretended. I said he received them in front of Diana in order to impress her.

amabel

Dodi had a trust fund but never paid his bills... so the odds are that his "own" money was frittered away on god knows what but he had to go to Dad to get more for buying expensive gifts for Dina.  sorry I thought you meant that he pretended to get work calls.. but  I doubt if that would have pleased Diana to have her beau chatting bout work on the phone, when she was hoping that this time at least she had a boyfriend who was dedicated to amusig her...

oak_and_cedar

That's alright amabel  :)

He was evidently not that good with money, I agree with you.

I don't think that the gifts given to Diana were that expensive, except for that tell me yes ring.

Him chatting about work I think happened only a few times, if I understood it correctly, only in order to show off.

I think he was quite happy in focusing his attention on Diana.

I read in a book about PH that Fayed could be quite charming according to his former date.

amabel

very charming. 
ANd according to Diana he did ring her up and recite lists of the expensive presnts he was giving her.. so I think we can say he did buy her stuff and showed off about it..

oak_and_cedar

Yes, cashmere sweaters and such from what i've read. Nothing that Diana could not purchase herself since she was wealthy in her own right.

I think that perhaps the Fayed's thought that Diana would be impressed by their generosity and their attentiveness.

She was an astute person, and though fond of them as old family friends, I don't think that she was someone that could be 'pushed' into something.

amabel

Then she should have politely declined receiving a lot of gifts...She was teling peolpe that she didn't see the affair lastling.. yet Dodi wasn't being told this message.

sandy

She gave him gifts. It is shoulda woulda coulda about what she "should have done." ANy woman who accepts gifts does not mean she is obligated to marry the man.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on January 08, 2020, 11:36:33 PM
She gave him gifts. It is shoulda woulda coulda about what she "should have done." ANy woman who accepts gifts does not mean she is obligated to marry the man.
No but it gives the wrong impression.  they were only dating a few weeks and lots of expenisve gifts were exchanged.  Dodi was tryig to woo her into marriage.. She took his presents and that indicated that she was considering marriage...

sandy

But each person has his or her own viewpoints. What bothers one person may not bother another.

There were no financial statements issued about how much these items cost, so it is subject to speculation

DIana accepting gifts is no evidence of her "considering marriage." If all women thought that way that accepting a gift means betrothal, men who don't want to commit or marry would never give gifts to women.

amabel

Why do you think Dodi was giving her gifts?  Because he hoped to woo her to marry him.  He told her of what he was buying for her because he believed that was going to lure her into agreeing to marry him as his father wanted. 

sandy

Diana had plenty of money. She was not a gold digger who craved material things. There was no obligation on her part to marry him. As far as the expenses of the gifts, that is not a known quantity.

amabel

If she didn't crave material things why accept a lot of presents?  Why say if she got a ring she'd put it on her right hand?  If someone gives yu a pre engageemtn ring, and you're not interested in marriage, you politely refuse the ring.

sandy

How many presents were there?  How is it known there was "a lot"? If she put it on her right hand, she was not accepting it as an engagement ring. I never heard of engaged to be engaged engagement rings. If he presented it as an engagement ring, she was under no obligation to accept it; SHe could have said no I will not marry you and return the ring, he could have said wear it as a present and then she could have decided to take it or return it. Since it was no longer counted as an engagement ring.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on January 09, 2020, 12:21:43 AM
How many presents were there?  How is it known there was "a lot"? If she put it on her right hand, she was not accepting it as an engagement ring. I never heard of engaged to be engaged engagement rings. If he presented it as an engagement ring, she was under no obligation to accept it; SHe could have said no I will not marry you and return the ring, he could have said wear it as a present and then she could have decided to take it or return it. Since it was no longer counted as an engagement ring.
It was a pre engagement ring. It meant they weren't engaged but it was a serous relationship.. and it was expensive.  If Diana took it she was sending out the wrong signal because she was telling most people that she did not see the relationship as more than a summer romance.

sandy

HE never gave it to her. He was never publicly quoted that the Tell Me Yes had anything to do with a wedding. DIana never got the ring, he never made it back to the apartment. I have strong doubts that the divorcee of one year, DIana would rush into a wedding with Dodi whether his father wanted it or not.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on January 09, 2020, 12:05:34 PM
HE never gave it to her. He was never publicly quoted that the Tell Me Yes had anything to do with a wedding. DIana never got the ring, he never made it back to the apartment. I have strong doubts that the divorcee of one year, DIana would rush into a wedding with Dodi whether his father wanted it or not.
Of course a tell me yes ring has symbolic value.  It has to do with "this is a serious relationship.. the next ring will be a wedding or engagement ring." 

sandy

The thing is she did not say she'd marry him nor did she have to. Diana never had a chance to react to the Tell Me YEs Ring.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on January 09, 2020, 12:16:23 PM
The thing is she did not say she'd marry him nor did she have to. Diana never had a chance to react to the Tell Me YEs Ring.
If she took the ring and wore it on her right hand, that was still taking the ring and giving him a signal that she considered their relationship a serious one.  Yet it appears that she did not do so..

sandy

She did not get hold of it. It would be good if she had and she'd be alive today whether or not she accepted it.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on January 09, 2020, 12:25:16 PM
If she took the ring and wore it on her right hand, that was still taking the ring and giving him a signal that she considered their relationship a serious one.  Yet it appears that she did not do so..
No because reportedly MAF was the one who actually purchased it. Apparently Diana never saw it.  That gave MAF the opportunity to declare it was an "engagement ring."

sandy

I read Dodi went to the Jewelry store and he picked out the ring. The man he dealt with spoke to the media about Dodi's selecting the ring. Maybe it was MAF's money but MAF was not even in Paris at the time. Diana did not see the ring so how can MAF consider it an "engagement ring."

Dodi Fayed bought ?11,000 engagement ring for Diana | UK news | The Guardian

He had no chance to propose.

TLLK

QuoteDiana did not see the ring so how can MAF consider it an "engagement ring."

He can't but that didn't stop him from attempting to create a story about the couple being in love and engaged.

amabel

Of course he did, which is why Diana should have been more careful how she interacted with an ambitious and delusional man like MAF.. She msut have known that Dodi wasn't just courting her because of her big blue eyes...

sandy

A ring that is accepted by the woman proposed to becomes the engagement ring. If she does not accept it, it is not an engagement ring. It would have to be returned to the store by the man proposing or resold. What Diana knew went with her to her grave.