The Greek Royal Family news, current events and general discussion

Started by Jennifer, August 30, 2015, 11:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

European Royals arrive in Athens for the former King of Greece's funeral | Daily Mail Online

Royals arrive in Greece for King Constantine's funeral - Queen Letizia, Princess Mette-Marit and more | HELLO!
Articles says Prince William and Princess Catherine also among attend to King Constantine?s funeral because Prince William and Lady Gabriella Kingston is godfather of King Constantine and also Princess Anne also attend to King Constantine?s funeral

Curryong

All the mourners are now present and the procession has begun.

Curryong

Unbelievable scenes in clips from Greek television. Long lines of Greek citizens, all ages, even young people, lining up to kiss the flag-draped coffin and wish their ex King farewell. Very moving. The whole thing was. Wonder how the government feels NOW.. I hope the Greek Govt clean the Tatoi estate up and give at least the Church and cemetery back to the royal family.

wannable

Prince William has asked Lady Gabriella Windsor, daughter of Prince Michael of Kent, to represent him at today's funeral of King Constantine in Athens.
Gabriella is also a godchild of the late King.
Rebecca English

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on January 16, 2023, 10:34:02 AM
Prince William has asked Lady Gabriella Windsor, daughter of Prince Michael of Kent, to represent him at today's funeral of King Constantine in Athens.
Gabriella is also a godchild of the late King.
Rebecca English

Oh yes? I didn?t expect either King Charles or the Wales?s to go to the funeral. Almost all the other European/Scandi royal Houses turned out in force, Kings, Queens, Heirs in bulk, just not the BRF. Godparent, close friend, doesn?t matter apparently. Can?t be bothered!

wannable

I believe it has more to do with security, starting with International flight arrangements. There is no commercial flight with first or business class, where uniform can 'contain' its subject. Usually these two classes are easily contained because it doesn't surpass 10 seats each or 15 between both vs economy from 100 to 200 seats depending on the size of the airplane.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on January 16, 2023, 10:52:33 AM
I believe it has more to do with security, starting with International flight arrangements. There is no commercial flight with first or business class, where uniform can 'contain' its subject. Usually these two classes are easily contained because it doesn't surpass 10 seats each or 15 between both vs economy from 100 to 200 seats depending on the size of the airplane.

Oh for heavens sake! As if the Dutch and Spanish royal families for instance don?t face security risks when travelling! And King W-A?s eldest daughter had to stay away from going out with her student friends not too long ago due to a REAL threat of terrorism. If C+C and the Wales?s go on holidays somewhere abroad somehow all these so-called difficulties miraculously disappear! The truth is that they just couldn?t be bothered. And we saw it with the Margrave of Baden only recently as well.

wannable

I wouldn't know about their security arrangement, what I do know is the governments of those countries aren't invested as UK with Ukraine or have a rogue member enticing the Taliban.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on January 16, 2023, 11:19:52 AM
I wouldn't know about their security arrangement, what I do know is the governments of those countries aren't invested as UK with Ukraine or have a rogue member enticing the Taliban.

The Netherlands has sent a ton of medical/humanitarian aid and Spain has been sending anti-aircraft missiles, tanks and other weapons to Ukraine for months. And please don?t try and make Harry the excuse for the tardiness of the BRF when it comes to attending their friends and relatives? funerals. Harry hadn?t said a word when no member of the BRF turned up at the Margrave of Baden?s funeral. And the Margrave was a son of PPs sister, a nephew of Prince Philip, whom the RF always say they honour and worship so much!

sara8150

Princess Anne looks sombre as she attends King Constantine's funeral in Athens with European royalty | Daily Mail Online

King Constantine's funeral: Princess Anne, Lady Gabriella Windsor, Queen Letizia, and more royals attend - live updates | HELLO!

King Constantine: Heartbroken wife Anne-Marie's last words to husband revealed | HELLO!

Queen Letizia and Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece put long-standing feud behind them ahead of King Constantine's funeral: See Photo | HELLO!

Why King Charles and Prince William did not attend King Constantine's funeral | HELLO!

Queen Margrethe of Denmark mourns tragic family death ? as European royals gather in Greece | HELLO!

Princess Anne steps up to comfort fellow European royals on a solemn day for Greece | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince William and Kate tipped to travel to Athens for Greek King Constantine's funeral | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Constantine II: How former king provoked guestlist drama at Charles and Diana's wedding | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Queen Letizia of Spain supports King Felipe at King of Greece funeral | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

King Constantine: Royals descend on Greece for Prince William's godfather's funeral | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Thousands come to pay final respects to Constantine II, last King of Greece ? Royal Central

Lady Gabriella Kingston undertakes important duty as she represents British royals at the funeral of Constantine II ? Royal Central

A final gesture of love for King Constantine from his widow, Queen Anne-Marie ? Royal Central

Crown Prince Pavlos to relocate to Greece following his succession as head of the Greek Royal Family ? Royal Central
King Charles,Prince William and Princess Catherine cant attend funeral of King Constantine?s due their busy schedules but Lady Gabriella Windsor represented Prince William and Princess Anne at the service im respect that

TLLK

Here's coverage from a Spanish television station if you are interested in viewing the funeral and burial. There were huge crowds lining the street and around the plaza in front of the cathedral. Queen Sofia and Princess Irene received a huge cheer when they arrived with KJCI, IE, IC and the children. Princes Pavlos, Nikolaus and Phillipos were at the cathedral to welcome the guests. Nearly every reigning and non-reigning European royal house/family sent a representative. Queen Anne Marie, her daughters-in-law and grandchildren were very warmly welcomed before and after the service. Plenty of applause for the late King Constantine. His orders and Olympic gold medal were on display throughout the service. CP Pavlos delivered the eulogy in Greek and summarized it in English.
??Los reyes de Espa?a y monarqu?as europeas asisten al funeral por el exrey Constantino de Grecia - YouTube

More about the funeral.
Thousands come to pay final respects to Constantine II, last King of Greece ? Royal Central

TudorQueen

Amazing watching the clips. And the turn out for the public for the funeral was touching. Truly a sad day.

The Brits really need to start being more present at these royal events. Even those they attend they send minor like the Wessexes. If it was such a security issue why is Anne there? It would be a risk to her as well even if not as important as William.  And she is one of the hardest working members of that family. One can hardly argue she likely didn't have to rearrange her schedule to go as well. It would have been nice if William had attended his godfather's funeral with his aunt and Gabrielle. Leave Kate behind if really that concerned.

Lady Gabriella seems to be the only godchild who attended. But the parents of his godchildren, the people who actually chose the man to have a role in his children's lives, were in attendance.

Princess Beatrix (Her son Constantijn who shares his name with the late king is his godson)

https://twitter.com/RoyalArjan/status/1615058405332230146/photo/1

Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia. Constantine was his best man when he married Katherine in 1985. He was godfather to both Philip and Alexander. Alexander was godfather in return to Princess Theodora.

https://twitter.com/RNN_RoyalNews/status/1615029318110904320/photo/3

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia, Constantine was godfather to her son Grand Duke Georgi.

https://twitter.com/RNN_RoyalNews/status/1615029318110904320/photo/4

His goddaughter Margareta of Romania's husband Radu attended in her place.

https://twitter.com/ActusRoyales/status/1614932373942013956/video/1

Lady Gabriella attended in person

https://twitter.com/WindsorDynasty/status/1615049785672622080/photo/2

TLLK

One more personal reason that the Princess Royal might have been the attendee was that she like Sweden's Princess Cristina (also in attendance today) was a bridesmaid at the wedding of Constantine and Anne Marie. Obviously Irene was there and I believe that Romania's Margareta was supposed to be there but only Radu was in attendance today. (Nicolae was there privately.)

Wedding of Constantine II of Greece and Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark - Wikipedia

Here's the list of their attendants: bridesmaids and crown bearers. (Those that I "bolded" were present today at the funeral.) The Crown Prince of Sweden is now King CG.

QuoteBridesmaids

Princess Anne of the United Kingdom
    Princess Christina of Sweden
    Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark

Princess Margareta of Romania
    Princess Clarissa of Hesse
    Princess Tatiana Radziwiłł

Crown bearers

The Crown Prince of Norway[6]
    The Crown Prince of Sweden[6]
    Crown Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia

The Prince of Wales[5]
    Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark
    Prince Ingolf of Denmark
    Prince Michael of Kent
    Prince Karl of Hesse
    Count Michael Bernadotte af Wisborg

Curryong

I think some spectators missed out on filing past the coffin and paying their respects, due to time limits. I hope the Greek government took notice. And hopefully the widowed Queen might spend a little time in Denmark with her sisters in coming months. I know it?s been said Crown Prince Pavlos will be relocating to Greece in the future, we will have to wait to see if that will come to pass, but perhaps Queen Anne Marie might benefit from being with her birth family for a while.

sara8150

Princess Anne consoles Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece at King Constantine's burial ceremony | Daily Mail Online

Prince William Asks Lady Gabriella Windsor to Represent Him at Funeral
I understand King Charles,Prince William and Princess Catherine been busy with their schedules cant travel to Greece due security reasons measures but William and Gabriella both is godfather of former King Constantine?s and Princess Anne is in behalf of her brother the King Charles

Queen Anne-Marie Wears Cross from Wedding to King Constantine Funeral
Queen Anne Marie wore this necklace since back to wedding in 1964

Tears and curtsies for Constantine II as the last King of Greece is laid to rest ? Royal Central

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 16, 2023, 09:24:50 PM
I think some spectators missed out on filing past the coffin and paying their respects, due to time limits. I hope the Greek government took notice. And hopefully the widowed Queen might spend a little time in Denmark with her sisters in coming months. I know it?s been said Crown Prince Pavlos will be relocating to Greece in the future, we will have to wait to see if that will come to pass, but perhaps Queen Anne Marie might benefit from being with her birth family for a while.

Yes. It appears that mourners had a limited time to pay their respects. 

I believe that Anne Marie will keep the Athens apartment,  but will divide time between Denmark, The UK and Greece in the future. 

Nightowl

Quote from: Curryong on January 16, 2023, 10:42:41 AM
Oh yes? I didn?t expect either King Charles or the Wales?s to go to the funeral. Almost all the other European/Scandi royal Houses turned out in force, Kings, Queens, Heirs in bulk, just not the BRF. Godparent, close friend, doesn?t matter apparently. Can?t be bothered!

I think it has more to do with what the gov tells them and their security right now.  After we here do not know that intelligence has come down regarding the Taliban or anyone else.  Other royal families right now do not have threats against them that we know of.  Also I am wondering if going to a funeral of a royal from another country makes some face their own immortality.   

Nightowl

Quote from: wannable on January 16, 2023, 11:19:52 AM

Absolutely that has to be taken into consideration in all of Charles and William's events now..a rouge member has put the entire royal family and country and military at risk. That is NO laughing matter either.

Nightowl

Quote from: Curryong on January 16, 2023, 11:16:31 AM
Oh for heavens sake! As if the Dutch and Spanish royal families for instance don?t face security risks when travelling! And King W-A?s eldest daughter had to stay away from going out with her student friends not too long ago due to a REAL threat of terrorism. If C+C and the Wales?s go on holidays somewhere abroad somehow all these so-called difficulties miraculously disappear! The truth is that they just couldn?t be bothered. And we saw it with the Margrave of Baden only recently as well.

Please let us know when was the last time William, Catherine and Charles and Camilla went on a holiday somewhere abroad and Scotland is not out of the country or abroad either?

Curryong

Sure. Well for the then Cambridges it was off to an unknown destination for the family which turned out to be the South of France (the Cambridges pictured here at Heathrow) and earlier in the year there was a break, again in the South of France where the extended family gathered for James Middleton and his fianc?e?s wedding.

William and Kate have taken their children abroad for the half-term holidays | Marie Claire UK

Camilla in India at a wellness retreat.

Queen Camilla in India for Holistic Therapy Vacation While King Charles Remains in U.K.: Report

It was supposed to be an official visit to Greece but except for two receptions the rest was a holiday. Nice work if you can get it!

Why Prince Charles and Camilla can go to Greece when holidays are banned - Mirror Online

TLLK

Quote from: Nightowl on January 17, 2023, 09:12:09 AM
I think it has more to do with what the gov tells them and their security right now.  After we here do not know that intelligence has come down regarding the Taliban or anyone else.  Other royal families right now do not have threats against them that we know of.  Also I am wondering if going to a funeral of a royal from another country makes some face their own immortality.   

IMO their absence had to do more with the British government and the President of Cyprus being in the UK yesterday. Cyprus continues to be a difficult situation between Greece and Turkey and the UK does have military bases there.  I believe that the King and the PoW were advised not to travel to the funeral by the Foreign Office due to their constitutional positions. However sending the Princess Royal as an official representative was an acceptable choice for the FO. Sometimes in a Constitutional Monarchy, the government does have the final say on overseas royal travel for private events. For example Spain has previously limited the former King and Queen's visits to the UK over Gibraltar. Because of the dispute in 1981,  JC and Sofia were not permitted to attend Charles and Diana's wedding.

Presidential couple meets with King Charles, Queen Consort Camilla in Scotland | in-cyprus.com

Nightowl

Didn't Catherine's brother get married in 2013 some time? That is not recent is it?  I don't think they are taking holidays all the time like they used to either. 

Oh just a side note, how is the weather down there? Mother Nature sure is on a warpath lately. Here in Chicago, NO SNOW, temps are around high 30's to low 50's every day.....just saw the temp for the day....48!  So doing my heart walk of 3 to 4 miles again today. I love walking, it calms down my blood which boils sometimes....LOL

TLLK

Quote from: Nightowl on January 17, 2023, 01:10:37 PM
Didn't Catherine's brother get married in 2013 some time? That is not recent is it?  I don't think they are taking holidays all the time like they used to either. 

Oh just a side note, how is the weather down there? Mother Nature sure is on a warpath lately. Here in Chicago, NO SNOW, temps are around high 30's to low 50's every day.....just saw the temp for the day....48!  So doing my heart walk of 3 to 4 miles again today. I love walking, it calms down my blood which boils sometimes....LOL

James and Alyzee married in the summer of 2021 so it is fairly recent.  Prior to that Pippa married her husband Matthew in 2017.

Nightowl

Quote from: TLLK on January 17, 2023, 01:10:10 PM
IMO their absence had to do more with the British government and the President of Cyprus being in the UK yesterday.

Thanks for that, I did not know about the President of Cyprus or it did not ring a bell with me. Your right about that.....

Nightowl

Quote from: TLLK on January 17, 2023, 01:13:15 PM
James and Alyzee married in the summer of 2021 so it is fairly recent.  Prior to that Pippa married her husband Matthew in 2017.

Somehow I thought JM got married in 2013......my notes are very wrong now.  Now I wonder who got married in 2013, Thanks for letting me know as I looked at my notes here and I made a mistake.  Can I blame this on me or BP.....lol