Prince Harry gaffe broadens Brits' WWII knowledge

Started by ~Sophia~, March 18, 2005, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riley

Well at least something good has come from his poor judgement. More people now know about the atrosities that occured in the concentration camps during WWII. To believe that that many Britons hadn't even heard of Auschwitz, makes my heart cringe. The ignorance and the lack of education,  makes me want to cry. Maybe it's just like that to me because my mom lost a lot of family members in the Holocaust. It just makes me appreciate the education that I have received here in the states and how much time was dedicated to learning and understanding everything that happened in WWII, stateside and abroad. Cheers.
"Nobody can make you feel inferior with out your permission." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

"I wanna be so close to Heaven I see Angels..."~Sugarland

Gems

QuoteTo believe that that many Britons hadn't even heard of Auschwitz, makes my heart cringe.
I had never heard of it till the Harry thing. I think people (like the media) should have praised him for doing their job and making  those that didn't know aware of it.

riley

WWII and what went on during those dark years are a very big part of history. Weren't they taught about in your history classes? Cheers.
"Nobody can make you feel inferior with out your permission." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Gems

They were, but not that much. I remember singing war-songs in infant school, and the next thing i did about the war was in high school, i think i did a project when i was in year 7 or 8. I even did history but i still didn't know what Auschwitz was, even though i'm sure it would have been mentioned. Ican only remembe rdoing about the basic political things, like about hitler and his government.

Firefly

QuoteWWII and what went on during those dark years are a very big part of history. Weren't they taught about in your history classes? Cheers.
Hear, Hear!!.....What are they teaching about WWII? I learned about the concentration camps in school- don't they teach about it anymore? It wasn't a minor occurance of WWII. Of course there are some people now who say that it never happened and that all the photos were doctored....unbelievable.  :blink:  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

riley

QuoteOf course there are some people now who say that it never happened and that all the photos were doctored....unbelievable. 

And unfortunately there always will be those kind of people in denial. My mother, when she was in university, was working at some place and her boss was this young man, who unbeknown to him, was half jewish (his father was born jewish and converted after the war). Well her boss ended up marrying this lovely german lady and I don't know exactly how it came up but the boss' wife said to my mother's face that she was wrong, that there were never any concentration camps and what not. and that if there had been then her parents would have told her and it would have been in her textbooks. My mother just stared at her and couldn't say anything (if she had, she could have been fired). Half of germany is still in denial, and the other half are repenting. It hurts me to know that for the longest time, that part of history wasn't being taught or acknowledge in parts of Europe. But that's just how it is, I suppose. Ingorance is bliss to them. Oh well. Education is the best defence of it not happening again, though many Jews in Europe are fearing another one in the future. Cheers.

mandwhy

Ah, every cloud has a silver lining. I suppose people must have been baffled about what to be offended about this time. It's difficult to be outraged about anything when you walk around with your eyes shut.

chavita

QuoteWWII and what went on during those dark years are a very big part of history. Weren't they taught about in your history classes? Cheers.
Hear, Hear!!.....What are they teaching about WWII? I learned about the concentration camps in school- don't they teach about it anymore?
im latin american and i did learn about da concentration camps n everything last year when i was in 10th grade
Harryite #0009

Gems

I think there should be more effort put into teaching things like this by the government.

riley

QuoteAh, every cloud has a silver lining. I suppose people must have been baffled about what to be offended about this time. It's difficult to be outraged about anything when you walk around with your eyes shut.

Please do elaborate, mandwhy. I'm an intrigued as to how you will explain such a strong statement. Are you saying that I walk around with my eyes shut and therefore am offended for no reason? Or are you saying that the people whom we were previously talking about, walk around with their eyes closed? Please do elaborate, fore you have enraptured my attention. Cheers.

Stix Chix

QuoteThey were, but not that much. I remember singing war-songs in infant school, and the next thing i did about the war was in high school, i think i did a project when i was in year 7 or 8. I even did history but i still didn't know what Auschwitz was, even though i'm sure it would have been mentioned. Ican only remembe rdoing about the basic political things, like about hitler and his government.
really?  we were taught about it when i was in elementary school.  
it scared the hell out of me.  :ph34r:  it might have been nice not to know about it but i'm glad that i did.

what about Biritsh grandparents tho?  they must talk about it to there kids and grandkids.  and not just the rations and blitz but why they had to fight with Germany and what the Germans were doing to their citizens and the citizens in the countries they were taking over.    

Harryite #0004

T125eagle

some might, but there are always people who will refuse to talk of a war that they were in. too many bad memories.
Philipite #001 Duke of Windsor ite #001;Harryite # 0028

Gems

QuoteThey were, but not that much. I remember singing war-songs in infant school, and the next thing i did about the war was in high school, i think i did a project when i was in year 7 or 8. I even did history but i still didn't know what Auschwitz was, even though i'm sure it would have been mentioned. Ican only remembe rdoing about the basic political things, like about hitler and his government.
really?  we were taught about it when i was in elementary school.  
it scared the hell out of me.  :ph34r:  it might have been nice not to know about it but i'm glad that i did.

what about Biritsh grandparents tho?  they must talk about it to there kids and grandkids.  and not just the rations and blitz but why they had to fight with Germany and what the Germans were doing to their citizens and the citizens in the countries they were taking over.
My nan talks about the war, but her brother never did after he had told her what he had seen in the army so it depends on the person i think.

Windsor

QuoteI think there should be more effort put into teaching things like this by the government.
I have to agree with you Gems, the Goverment should do more ;)  

T125eagle

Windsor,
         This is off subject, and I apologize, but what does your "saying" under your picture mean?

Windsor

"Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense" means "Evil to him Who Evil Thinks" which is the motto of the Most Noble Order of the Garter

T125eagle

THank you. Wasn't it Edward the Confessor that started the order?

Windsor

T125eagle

D'oh! I knew it was an Edward!! Thanks Windsor.