Be on the First Row for the Abdication!

Started by cinrit, July 19, 2013, 11:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteOn Sunday King Albert of the Belgians will abdicate in favour of his son, Crown Prince Filip, who will become the seventh King of the Belgians.

It's a day on which history is being made.  flandersnews will be reporting on all the key events and you will also be able to watch uninterrupted coverage of the events as they unfold in Brussels on this rather special National Holiday.

King Albert has chosen to abdicate on 21 July, the National Holiday. Events kick off with a Roman Catholic Te Deum mass in Brussels Cathedral at 9am.

Be on the first row for the abdication! < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

Cindy, do you know why his son is considered unpopular? I asked on another thread and received a somewhat rude response or perhaps, I misunderstood. People keep mentioning that he is unpopular. But I cannot see why?
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Limabeany, I'm sorry, but no ... I really don't understand why.  It does seem that the Royals in general, in Belgium, aren't very popular.  I don't keep up with them, so it's a mystery to me, too.  If you find out, I'd like to know, since we really don't hear much about them.  They seem to pretty much keep to themselves...

Cindy

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

To show how little I know about them, until this abdication came up, I thought Prince Philippe was already the King! :hehe:

Cindy

amabel

I think that the Belgian state is very volatile.. which is worrying as it is a lovely country.. but there are tensions between the French and Flemish and the monarchy sometimes seems to be the only thing holding the county together.  But it seems they are less popular than they used to be, because partly I think they are considered extravagant.  During the war, King Leopold was seen by some as collaborating with the Germans and he had to abdicate after the war.

Limabeany

Thank you Amabel! It is impossible to find information on why they are unpopular, specifically Philippe, yet many seem to be of hat opinion.

amabel

I think that also perhasp the RF are perceived as being more "french" than Flemish though I admit I am not too sure about that.  They are of course Coburgs in origin and so related to the British royal family.

Limabeany

Is this tension similar to he Canadian French-English one? Has it always existed?

amabel

Belgium has had its difficulties... because there are 2 differnet ethnic "sets" living there.  The Walloons are poorer and usually Protestant, the French richer and Catholic.  I don't know a great deal of the history NOR of Canada's but yes I think that the tentsons have existed pretty much since the foundation of the state.   The monarchy was something of a "glue" but it has had its difficulties esp with the controversial behaviour of Leopold III during the war.

Limabeany

And I read Philippe is considered to favor one of the two groups.

sara8150

Philippe becomes new Belgian king as Albert II abdicates
BBC News - Philippe becomes new Belgian king as Albert II abdicates

The new first family: Belgium's King Philippe joins wife Mathilde and their four children on royal balcony after his father abdicates
Belgium's King Albert is set to abdicate today to crown his son Philippe | Mail Online

Divided Belgium has a new King Philippe
Divided Belgium has a new King Philippe - Telegraph

Albert Abdicates to Crown Philippe New King of Belgium
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20719302,00.html

Belgium's King Albert II gives up throne to son
Belgium's King Albert II gives up throne to son - CNN.com

Philippe becomes king of Belgium
Philippe becomes king of Belgium - CBS News

no foreign Royals and british royals also attend Phillipe become king but president obama send him congrats messages become king

Honesty

I agree Amabel.  I used to nip over to Belgium regularly when I lived in England.  The city of Bruges was a favourite for the Belgium lace purchases.  Nice people, but the undercurrent of Flemish and Walloon was evident also.  Many of the Belgians speak better grammatical English than the English.  No colloquialism there.

sara8150

Albert squares a Coronation treat
Belgium's new King Philippe is unveiled | The Sun |News
Dont forgot on Prince Charles says "NEXT ME! TO throne!"

Queen Paola of Belgium in tears as King Albert gives up his throne to son Phillipe
Queen Paola of Belgium in tears as King Albert gives up his throne to son Phillipe - Mirror Online

Belgium gets a new king following abdication
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/belgium-gets-a-new-king-following-abdication-8724648.html

Belgium throws giant party as Philippe ascends throne
Belgium throws giant party as Philippe ascends throne < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

Football: Belgian skipper salutes Albert II
Football: Belgian skipper salutes Albert II < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

Belgian football skipper welcomes new king
Belgian football skipper welcomes new king < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

Obama congratulates new king of the Belgians
Obama congratulates new king of the Belgians < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

Congratulations and messages from all over the world, from Obama to Putin
Congratulations and messages from all over the world, from Obama to Putin

King Filip swears allegiance to the Belgian Constitution
King Filip swears allegiance to the Belgian Constitution

Izabella

marine2109

BBC News - Philippe becomes new Belgian king as Albert II abdicates

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 07:14:17 PM

Quote21-07-2013 Cathedral Prince Filip (Philippe) and Princess Mathilde attend the traditional Te Deum Mass at the Cathedral of St Michael and Saint Gudula on the occasion of Belgium's National Day in Brussels, Belgium.

PPE Agency

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 07:14:52 PM

Quote21-07-2013 Abdication King Albert and King Filip (Philippe) at the signing of the abdication at the Royal palace in Brussels, Belgium.

PPE Agency

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 07:15:23 PM

Quote21-07-2013 Natie King Filip (Philippe) at the oath ( eedaflegging) at the Verenigde Kamers in palace of the Natie in Brussels, Belgium.

PPE Agency

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 07:16:14 PM

Quote21-07-2013 Balcony King Filip (Philippe) and Queen Mathilde and Prinses Elisabeth, Prins Gabriel, Prins Emmanuel and Prinses Eleonore on the balcony of the royal palace in Brussels, Belgium.

PPE Agency

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 07:16:41 PM

Quote21-07-2013 King Filip (Philippe) and Queen Mathilde greet the population from the Royal Palace, Place des Palais in Brussels.

PPE Agency

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 07:18:41 PM

Quote21-07-2013 Invesiture King Filip (Philippe) and Queen Mathilde at the end of the day of his invesiture in Brussels, Belgium.

PPE Agency

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 08:02:42 PM

Search - Getty Images : BEL: General Scenes As Brussels Prepares For The Inauguration Of King Philippe

Search - Getty Images : BEL: Alternative View: Abdication Of King Albert II Of Belgium, & Inauguration Of King Philippe

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 08:04:18 PM

Search - Getty Images : BEL: Abdication Of King Albert II Of Belgium & Inauguration Of King Philippe

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 08:05:34 PM

Royal Family Pictures | Royalty Photo Gallery | Getty Images

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 08:17:41 PM

QuotePhilippe of Belgium: Official Portraits and ... unusual images!

http://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=tr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.purepeople.com%2Farticle%2Fphilippe-de-belgique-portraits-officiels-et-images-insolites_a124982%2F1

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 08:27:24 PM

Philippe et Mathilde de Belgique : Un tendre baiser avant le feu d'artifice

Philippe et Mathilde de Belgique : Le roi et la reine acclamés au balcon

Double post auto-merged: July 22, 2013, 08:27:55 PM

Albert II de Belgique a abdiqué : Beaucoup d'émotion et ''un gros kiss''

Albert II de Belgique : Adieux optimistes avant le couronnement de Philippe

marine2109