Queen Elizabeth's secret plea

Started by Alexandra123, January 30, 2009, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandra123

Queen Elizabeth's secret plea

Queen Elizabeth reportedly wants palace secrets to be exempt from efforts to allow the public to view government papers.
At the moment, papers including Cabinet meeting minutes are opened up to the public after 30 years, but there are moves to see the waiting time reduced to 15 years.
However, Buckingham Palace officials are keen for any records relating to the monarchy to be excluded from the plans.
If they are not, records relating to a number of major royal events - such as 1992, which the queen famously called her "annus horribilis" because so many scandals broke - will be made public early.

Kate

Even if these records are shown at the end of 15 years, I would assume, if there were any secrets that were to remain as secret as can be, the records would be doctored, in favour of the Monarchy and family.. Or perhaps , like some book keepers, they keep two sets of books. One for the auditor and, and one locked under key never to be seen..

There was referrance to some reports from 1958 to 1965, somewhere in between, if I recall, that were sealed and never to be open for 100 years... Alexandra, do you know what I am referring to?   I must go into my books to find this, again.... something strange about this time period...

Monika

30 years vs 15 wouldn't exactly hurt Charles and his darling wife. 

AP:  "Kate Middleton Found Guilty of Breaking 11th Commandment:  Thou Shalt Not Be Luckier Than I"

Objective

Anything of public interest should be made available to the public - and not doctored. That is just transparent governance.

As much as I respect QE11, I think she needs to realise that while she and her family suck from the public purse, her privacy is strictly limited - and anything which enters parliament is fair game. I am a monarchist, but I have to draw the line.

mediastar

After 30 years most cabinet ministers have died or at least retired.

After 15 years most will not still be in office but this change would reduce the content recorded in official records. Already cabinet minutes are a lot sparser than they were.

The Queen's reign goes back well over both periods and a reduction in the time period would probably reduce the content in official royal records as well.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)