Modern Royals in a Modern Military

Started by Jenee, January 26, 2006, 03:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenee

So, should modern Royals be required to serve in the military, or is it becoming passé?
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

~Sophia~

I don't think it's necessary to join the military if you're a royal - you should be able to choose your own career paths.Anyone should feel free to do so.

Royals already have to follow way too many rules which is understandable - but the question of a career shouldn't be part of them.

Wombat

I said other.  I think it is necessary IF  they're going to be head of the armed forces.

They really have to understand the life...the commitment of these people who they're leading. :)

Wombat

What? Are you agreeing with me Bess? -------> :faint:

:P :laugh:

Wombat

Bess

That's probably why I like you then  :laugh:

Wombat

:hug:

Ok....now I'm worried..that's the second time I've hugged you and you've put your hand on my arse :unsure:

Hang on...this is the SERIOUS THREAD :blush:

Beebs

Yes, Military service is traditional and traditions shouldn't be broken :D

Bess

Quote from: wombat on January 26, 2006, 06:25:41 AM
:hug:

Ok....now I'm worried..that's the second time I've hugged you and you've put your hand on my arse :unsure:

Hang on...this is the SERIOUS THREAD :blush:
Er...sorry about that...my hand, um, slipped...yeah that's it...my hand slipped. ;)

Ok, I'll shut up now.  Back on topic- are all royals expected to serve in the military?  Or is it just the heirs to the throne?

Jenee

I'm pretty sure they all are. the top ones anyway

chavita

yes, they should fight for the country they represent.
Harryite #0009

Jenee

^^ I can't remember what I voted for, but I'm pretty sure it was that one too :blush:

aroyalfan

I think they should be able to choose their own careers.  It would probably be nice to follow the traditional path of military service, but it shouldn't be de rigeur.  It should be voluntary.

Toujours

i put no, that it is too dangerous.
its not only putting their lives in danger
but their troops' lives in danger.
imagine what a statement some of these people would think they were making
if they captured or killed a royal
and of course capturing or killing a royal would take killing many people
its a very scary thought

and i do think that they should know how the military works
especially if they are going to represent and make decisions concerning solders' lives.
you cannot lead a group of people if they dont think you worthy or havent earned their respect
its not only for tradition, but out of respect for your people as well.
ElizabethII-ite: #0003Maryite #0002Willite #0054Harryite #0071Cheesite #0004Flirtite #15 :kisskiss:
My name is Toujours. I sleep in a padded cell. Wisely enough they give me an ample supply of choc

heather

Quote from: smarty on April 25, 2006, 01:38:58 AM
i put no, that it is too dangerous.
its not only putting their lives in danger
but their troops' lives in danger.
imagine what a statement some of these people would think they were making
if they captured or killed a royal
and of course capturing or killing a royal would take killing many people
its a very scary thought

and i do think that they should know how the military works
especially if they are going to represent and make decisions concerning solders' lives.
you cannot lead a group of people if they dont think you worthy or havent earned their respect
its not only for tradition, but out of respect for your people as well.

Of course Royalty should serve, it would hardly be a good example expecting young men and women of the nation to serve "King and Country" and take the "King's Shilling" if members of the King's family didn't set an example.
Edward VIII, then Prince of Wales was very popular in WWI, although not allowed to serve on the front lines, he was often to be found in the support trenches talking with ordinary "Tommies" and passing out ciggies to "the boys".
His brother Bertie, later King George VI served in the Battle of Jutland in WWI.
   Most of George III's sons served in some capacity, although they weren't so loved or appreciated by their men :windsor:.    LOL
           Heather
          Heather
       Heather

heather

Who is this woman Heather, Heather, Heather??? :brainwashed:

LOL :laugh:

Wombat

I don't know..either she has a stutter or 3 personalities :P :happytears:

WOW

QB

i think i'd go with only if they are going to be head of them one day. I think younger royals should get choices and decide how they want to live their own lives. if you decide to accept the position of heir, you should do your duty and join up I guess.
Why is you pickin on me? Is it cuz I is   ginger, aiii? –Arri G