How to watch Prince Phillip's funeral

Started by TLLK, April 16, 2021, 02:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Viewing Information-Stations and times.

If you find the times for various European, Asian, African, South American nations: Please add to the thread.

For the UK, Canada and the United States-see below.

IHow to Watch Prince Philip?s Funeral | Vanity Fair

QuoteHowever, the funeral, which will be held on April 17 at 3 p.m. local time, will be televised so that mourners are able to participate from home. In the U.K., BBC One, Sky, and ITN will begin their coverage of the ceremony at 12:30 p.m., while, in America, NBC News will begin broadcasting beginning at 9:30 a.m. EST on both their network and their streaming service, NBC News Now. Canadian viewers can tune in to CTV News which will begin live coverage at 8am EST. The ceremony will begin with a National Minute?s Silence.

For Australia-See below.

QuoteFor all Aussies - the options for free-to-air TV tomorrow night from about 10.30 p.m. is very simple:

Channel 2 (ABC) The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Channel 7 The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Channel 9 The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Channel 10 The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

PrincessOfPeace

The royal family YouTube channel will live be streaming the funeral.

sara8150

Prince Philip's funeral plans: How to watch, other questions answered

In USA central time any north,south,west and east time to watch of Duke of Edinburgh?s funeral

QuoteThe funeral will take place Saturday at Windsor Castle in a family service that will be closed to the public, Buckingham Palace said. It will begin with a nationwide moment of silence at 10 a.m. EDT/7 PDT (3 p.m. in England).

Prior to the service, Philip's coffin will be placed on a Land Rover at 9:40 a.m. EDT for a small ceremonial procession from the State Entrance of Windsor Castle to St. George?s Chapel starting at 9:45 a.m. Members of the royal family will walk behind Prince Philip?s coffin, which will be carried by a custom Land Rover the Duke of Edinburgh helped design himself.

Coverage plans for U.S. broadcast and cable networks include (all times EDT):

ABC: "World News Tonight" anchor David Muir will lead coverage starting at 9:30 a.m.. ABC News Live will stream coverage.

CBS: "CBS This Morning" host Gayle King will anchor a special report starting at 9:30 a.m. CBSN will stream coverage.

NBC: Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb will anchor a special report beginning at 9:30 a.m. from their "Today" studio in New York. NBC News NOW will stream network coverage across platforms, including Peacock.

Fox News: "The Story" anchor Martha MacCallum will lead live coverage from 9 a.m. to noon from Fox headquarters in New York. Fox News Digital will stream funeral proceedings.

CNN: Anderson Cooper of "Anderson Cooper 360" will anchor special coverage beginning at 9 a.m. Funeral coverage will stream on CNN.com's homepage and on mobile devices via CNN apps.

MSNBC is also expected to provide funeral coverage.

PBS will be streaming the event online, but won't have live broadcast TV coverage.

How to watch Prince Philip's funeral in the US, UK and around the world - CNN
In U.K. start at 1:15 pm and in USA start at 9am-9:30 am

wannable

Quote from: sara8150 on April 16, 2021, 03:30:02 PM
Prince Philip's funeral plans: How to watch, other questions answered

In USA central time any north,south,west and east time to watch of Duke of Edinburgh?s funeral

How to watch Prince Philip's funeral in the US, UK and around the world - CNN
In U.K. start at 1:15 pm and in USA start at 9am-9:30 am

Link for @royalfamily live stream of the funeral.

The live stream begins at 2:30 shortly before the procession.

The Funeral of The Duke of Edinburgh - YouTube

wannable

In 73 minutes it will start, if watched throught the above link of the Royal Family channel.

wannable

TRH Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arriva at Windsor Castle

She's wearing the 3 strand pearls of Princess Diana.

wannable

Victoria Arbiter was right about the US Channels going live for the DoE.

Gayle King travelled to the UK.

Gayle King and Omid Scobie arrive in Windsor to lead coverage of Prince Philip's funeral on CBS and ABC

PrincessOfPeace

Curryong

That was indeed a very moving service with many notable moments. A sad but historic day. I was especially sorry to see the Queen looking quite frail at first. Before she left apparently she spoke to the Dean of Windsor, her friend and to Philip?s German relatives.

wannable

What a beautiful funeral service.  Undoubtedly the BRF are the best in (pomp) and ceremony.

PrincessOfPeace

In recognition of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburghs life of service and heartfelt connection with Canada, Richard Wagner, Chief Justice of Canada and Administrator of the Government of Canada, signed a Proclamation declaring April 17, 2021, a National Day of Mourning.

https://twitter.com/GGCanada/status/1383435215889076230?s=20

William and Harry had a little chat as they walked.

Blue Clover

Thank you for creating this thread. The service was moving and emotional. I am happy the family was united in their grief, there to support he Queen.

wannable

Richard Ingham Evans
@Ringham7

America's fascination with @royalfamily undiminished. EVERY main US News network covered #PrincePhilipfuneral from start to finish and general satisfaction that William & Harry chatted as they left the Chapel.

The BRF let in every station worldwide to go live for free, including newspaper media.  The most watched live according to numbers, from newspaper media was the Daily Mail, followed by The Sun and The Telegraph close 3rd position.  TV Stations in the UK was the BBC, since they had a host of royal experts; Huw Edwards, Sir David Attenborough, Baroness Scotland, Alan Titchmarsh, and Baroness Grey-Thompson, JJ Chalmers and Sophie Raworth.

Here's the full video of the Funeral from The Royal Family Youtube.
The Funeral of The Duke of Edinburgh - YouTube

TudorQueen

6am start here for me but I had to be up to watch. Truly a sad but beautiful tribute to a wonderful consort. He will be missed greatly.   :cry:

The carriage with his riding crop and hat, with his beloved fell ponies, for me was the most poignant image. Outside his family.

Happy to see that Tim was included in the processional with his brother in laws and nephews.

TLLK

Like many of you I was up early to watch the broadcast. @Curryong -What time did it air in Australia?

Started on my computer with the BBC feed for the parade and music prior to the service. Later I switched to Sky News' coverage. (I tried NBC but I found the commentary too distracting.) I'll admit when I saw the carriage with the hat, whip, blanket and sugar cubes, I had a little lump in my throat. When the hearse came into the Castle grounds, then the lump became some tears. The sight carried me back to funerals that I've attended over my lifetime especially those for Naval veterans.  Even though the scale was smaller, it was a grand and moving ceremony today at Windsor Castle.

The music was spectacular IMO and the absence of a full choir and additional instrumentalists inside SGC were not a detriment. It honestly gave it a sound that seemed more in keeping with Orthodox services that I've attended.

It was especially moving to see HM the Queen there though I was not happy that cameras did focus on her now and then. I was pleased that the family had privacy as the Duke's casket was lowered into the Royal Vault. My husband was watching with me and were were chatting about our visit to WC and SGC four years ago.

It was good to see a more casual time with the BRF as they followed the Queen's car back towards the private apartments at WC.

Curryong

It aired very late here in Australia. AFL Football is very important in States where it?s played, including Victoria and the match ended about 10:35 pm. We started watching from then on. The troops assembling etc took about an hour, then the royal family appeared.

I suppose it was almost midnight when the actual funeral began. I haven?t seen the viewing figures yet but due to the lateness of it all and other reasons I don?t expect huge numbers. However, most of it will be shown today (it?s now 8am on Sunday) and so those that want to will be able to catch up and view it. 

The service was of course meticulous, moving and at times very sad. The Queen sat alone with her head down more or less throughout. She must have felt numb with grief. The buglers and Scottish bagpiper added to the solemnity of it all I thought, and it was nice that the members of the RF all decided to walk together back from the Chapel. I was surprised that the Duke being lowered into the vault beneath was televised.

TudorQueen

Curryong

Channel 7 won the ratings here, for Prince Philip?s funeral after the footy, with an audience of 430,000. Not bad but nothing like it would have been had it been shown during the day. (We watched it and switched off at just after one am. And most of the audience would have been aged 50 and over.)

Weekend TV Ratings Saturday April 17, 2021 - Mediaweek

wannable

13million UK viewers tuned in to watch Prince Philip's funeral - 2m more than Harry and Meghan's Oprah interview- as BBC wins ratings war over ITV

The BBC's live coverage - fronted by Huw Edwards - had 11.4 million viewers at its peak, with an average of 6.6 million. ITV had a peak viewership of 1.2 million.

TLLK

@wannable-Good to see that so many in the UK chose to watch his funeral. I'd read that nearly one quarter of the current British population had met the Duke of Edinburgh in their lifetime which is astonishing to me.

wannable

Yes, the stat also is a relief that the British people prefer the serious royal expert line up prepared by the BBC.  The difference in rating/numbers is a total victory, which means also to the Monarchy.

Bradby ITV is not a royal expert.

I wonder if the USA ratings were to prefer watching the free viewing from the Royal Family channel? The USA line up was gossip girl type, from disrespectful to appalling comments from Gayle CBS and Omid ABC, because we are respecting the time period of grief, I will not comment here, just read it in twitter the Gayle or Omid reporting quotes and replies, some of their supporters quit/unfollowed instantly yesterday. Not one hired a royal expert as in previous i.e. William and Catherine's wedding, the networks worldwide hired royal rota.

TLLK

QuoteAs one week has now passed since the DoE's funeral, this thread will now be closed. You may find further information about the death and funeral in the link below.

http://www.royalinsight.net/forum/index.php#c20