The Last Days, Death, Lying in State and Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II

Started by sara8150, September 07, 2022, 06:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Quote from: sara8150 on September 14, 2022, 08:01:09 PM
Gert?s Royals twitter says

IMHO this is the best solution for the Greek Royals. The former King's health is too frail for hims to consider attending and I doubt Queen Anne Marie would opt to come solo. The Crown Prince and Crown Princess live in London and can be the deputized representatives.

TLLK

I have enjoyed learning about the history of Westminster Hall which was built in the 11th century and has been in use for more than 900 years. A splendid place to stage the Lyings in State for the UK. Like so many historic buildings in London it's had its share of threats from fire including incendiary bomb attacks in WWII.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/building/palace/westminsterhall/

TLLK

The Prince and Princess of Wales, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and the Princess Royal are venturing out of the London/Edinburgh area to visit other communities in the UK. The Wales are at Sandringham in Norfolk, the Wessexes in Manchester and the Princess Royal is in Glasgow. I appreciate that they're taking the opportunity to visit the public in other parts of the Kingdom.

The Prince and Princess of Wales visit Sandringham to meet well-wishers and view floral tributes ? Royal Central

Princess Royal Glasgow: Crowds welcome Anne as she visits tributes to the Queen | HeraldScotland

Countess of Wessex hugs person in crowd | UK News | Sky News

sara8150

Quote from: TLLK on September 15, 2022, 12:50:03 PM
IMHO this is the best solution for the Greek Royals. The former King's health is too frail for hims to consider attending and I doubt Queen Anne Marie would opt to come solo. The Crown Prince and Crown Princess live in London and can be the deputized representatives.

You?re right about that

wannable

King Charles and the Queen's three other children will hold a 15-minute vigil at her coffin on Friday night before her funeral on Monday

sara8150

Gert?s Royals Twitter says
QuoteSultan Hassanal of Brunei

The Margrave of Baden

Hereditary Prince Bernhard & Hereditary Princess Stephanie of Baden

Curryong

Yes, Westminster Hall is probably one of the most historic places in England really, though it?s often overlooked and people just go to see the Houses of Parliament instead. Considering the Hall has been law courts from medieval times to the early 19th century, and also a place of meetings for the Kings and advisers as well, its rather austere Norman interior doesn?t reflect its past importance iMO. Later on of course, Churchill lay in State there.

I can remember visiting the Hall as a small child and saying ?Why, it?s empty!? And my parents and a nearby policeman on guard having a bit of a snigger! But it?s true, like a lot of English cathedrals the vividness of its interior must once have been breathtaking but what we have now are the bare bones of a building you can sense is ancient.

Yes, it was in danger during WE2, especially as of course the nearby House of Commons was gutted by German bombs. However it was in the most danger of all in 1834 when the entire Palace of Whitehall/Houses of Parliament of the time was destroyed by fire. It was in the aftermath of the 1832 Reform Act and the London mob were cheering from afar as they saw flames licking the ?Houses of Tyranny? (Parliament) as they saw it. But Westminster Hall was saved by a miracle and heroic firefighters who got up on the roof and practically with their bare hands threw burning timber to the ground. I believe I posted on that ages ago.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on September 15, 2022, 01:10:32 PM
King Charles and the Queen's three other children will hold a 15-minute vigil at her coffin on Friday night before her funeral on Monday

That will be the event where we will probably see Andrew in his Admiral?s uniform.

sara8150

Gert?s Royals Twitter says European Royals confirmed invite on the list but we have wait update from Gert?s Royals who coming or NOT!!
QuoteHereditary Prince Alois & Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein

Sultan Hassanal of Brunei

Sultan Haitham of Oman

The Margravine of Baden

Hereditary Prince Bernhard & HPss Stephanie of Baden

Prince Philipp and Princess Saskia of Hohenlohe-Langenburg

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on September 15, 2022, 01:26:18 PM
That will be the event where we will probably see Andrew in his Admiral?s uniform.

I don?t think so!! You remember Andrew no longer uniforms due investigation of disgrace Jeffrey Epstein but he remain morning suit with military badge but King Charles, Princess Anne and Earl of Wessex will use military uniforms at Queen Elizabeth II?s vigil tomorrow and day of funeral Monday September 19

sara8150

Queen will be buried beside Prince Philip and her father George VI in St George's Chapel at Windsor | Daily Mail Online
HM Queen Elizabeth II will buried along with Duke of Edinburgh,her parents, Princess Margaret and grandparents at Windsor Castle

Kate Middleton and Sophie Wessex wear their crucifixes as they take a lead from Her Majesty | Daily Mail Online

Vigil of the Princes: The Queen's four children to stand watch over their mother's coffin in London | Daily Mail Online
articles says Duke of York will wear uniforms for one night only

Charles III expresses 'sincere gratitude' for messages of condolence to the Queen | Daily Mail Online

Beefeater holding vigil at Queen's coffin says guard who fainted 'recovered shortly afterwards' | Daily Mail Online

Lady Louise Windsor wore black hat beloved by Kate Middleton | Daily Mail Online

Hyde Park to swell with 100,000 mourners for Her Majesty's farewell with CAMPERS bagging best spots | Daily Mail Online

How ritual and mishaps have shaped royal funerals for centuries and will impact Queen Elizabeth's | Daily Mail Online

Tories back calls for late Queen to be known as Elizabeth the Faithful | Daily Mail Online

Adorable cards from children to the Queen reveal what makes the perfect monarch | Daily Mail Online

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace and Scotland Secretary Alister Jack stand vigil over Queen | Daily Mail Online

American Shares Why She Waited 5 Hours to See Queen Elizabeth's Coffin

Queen Elizabeth Will Be Buried Next to Late Husband Prince Philip

Prince William Says Queen's Procession Reminded Him of Diana's Funeral

The Queen's state funeral: A minute-by-minute guide about what will happen | HELLO!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62914640

Curryong

I don?t know that I like ?Elizabeth the Faithful? in preference to Elizabeth the Great. Nowadays faithfulness is generally regarded as being so in a sexual sense. ?Elizabeth the Steadfast? or the Stalwart? as having a stalwart heart would be better I think, but as with Queen Victoria I?d really prefer her to be unadorned with those sort of titles. After all Victoria presided over a country which was unprecedented in growth of Empire (much as that is disregarded now) and scientific progress, and yet her statesman weren?t rushing to give her an extra title.

Tories back calls for late Queen to be known as Elizabeth the Faithful | Daily Mail Online

wannable

The Queen's eight grandchildren will also participate on a 15 minute vigil tomorrow evening; Peter Philips, Zara Tindall, William Prince of Wales, Harry Duke of Sussex, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Lady Louise and James Viscount Severn.

wannable

TLLK

I am so happy to read the news that the eight grandchildren will be participating in the vigil.  :happy:

wannable

I'd like to see the youngest, James Viscount Severn, age 14. With the 2 year pandemic, I was surprised to see him so grown up, especially in rare videos from randm people across the roundabout at the Jubilee concert capturing him laughing (out loud) standing up to cheer, to the Commonwealth Games greeting Charlotte, Kate and William (you can see both families are close). Through those videos he's a grown young man! The introverted kid no more  :D

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on September 15, 2022, 04:49:42 PM
I don?t know that I like ?Elizabeth the Faithful? in preference to Elizabeth the Great. Nowadays faithfulness is generally regarded as being so in a sexual sense. ?Elizabeth the Steadfast? or the Stalwart? as having a stalwart heart would be better I think, but as with Queen Victoria I?d really prefer her to be unadorned with those sort of titles. After all Victoria presided over a country which was unprecedented in growth of Empire (much as that is disregarded now) and scientific progress, and yet her statesman weren?t rushing to give her an extra title.

Many of QV's subjects felt that she had abandoned her role as Queen.  She never stopped mourning her husband and hid behind her mourning. she practically went into hiding for a good 10 years and only emerged afterwards when she had to.  She had a positive influence on the monarchy in some ways but I doubt many suggested glorifying her after her death. But I agree, I don't think it is necessary in QE's case and just her name alone is dignified and significant in light of all she did and how loyally she served for 70 years.  Just my opinion!

sara8150

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on September 15, 2022, 10:12:21 PM
Many of QV's subjects felt that she had abandoned her role as Queen.  She never stopped mourning her husband and hid behind her mourning. she practically went into hiding for a good 10 years and only emerged afterwards when she had to.  She had a positive influence on the monarchy in some ways but I doubt many suggested glorifying her after her death. But I agree, I don't think it is necessary in QE's case and just her name alone is dignified and significant in light of all she did and how loyally she served for 70 years.  Just my opinion!

You?re right about that

sara8150