The Dutch Monarchy Current Events Part 2

Started by TLLK, September 06, 2022, 11:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Yes, a very nice outfit today. I especially like the colour of her skirt. However Maxi?s hair isn?t likely to get much better. Hair thins in both sexes as you age, so the prospects aren?t looking so rosy!

TLLK

Yes I agree. Maxima's hair seems to have thinned with each of her pregnancies too. Amalia and Alexia seem to have thicker hair than their sister Ariane too.

TLLK

TLLK

Queen Maxima of the Netherlands dons a sophisticated jumpsuit as she steps out at the opening of the UNLimited festival | Daily Mail Online

QuoteQueen Maxima of the Netherlands looked elegant as she made a working visit to the 1931 Congress Center in Den Bosch.

The royal mother-of-three, 52, looked sophisticated in a navy tailored jumpsuit at the opening of the UNLimited festival of the Association of Universities.

As honorary president of the MIND Us Foundation, Maxima has a special interest in the mental well-being of students.

Curryong

Maxi looks very nice. She seems to be fond of jumpsuits. I have to say though that I am not a great fan of them. They?re quite inconvenient to wear for more than a few hours if you know what I mean. Zipping all the way down and then having to half undress if you need to go! Not my cup of tea, I?m afraid, though I wore them a few times in my twenties.

TLLK

A sad duty for King W-A as he visits one of the sites where the gunman attacked in Rotterdam.

Bilder und Fotos - Getty Images

King Willem-Alexander pays tribute to victims of shooting in Rotterdam ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Willem-Alexander has travelled to Rotterdam to pay homage to the victims of a shooting that happened last weekend.

On 2nd October, His Majesty arrived in the city to remember the three people that fell victim to a gunman.

Upon his arrival, the King was welcomed by members of the local community, who were reunited in a community centre opposite two of the victims? house ? the space has been opened to the public to function as a grief and counselling hotspot.

The two victims were mother and daughter; their husband/father was among the ones that welcomed His Majesty, and he later told the press: ?that the king took time for this was great?.

King Willem-Alexander then moved on to the second shooting location, the Erasmus Medical Centre. One of the country?s biggest teaching hospital, the same gunman went in shortly after the shooting at the house and opened fire in the halls, killing a lecturer in the process.

The King was seen talking to hospital staff, including doctors, nurses and students, before getting out of the centre and speaking to police officers and emergency first responders that were on call on the day of the shottings.

Many people said the conversations were warm and emotional: ?That made it very nice, because family members also heard what they went through. They were able to come together this way for the first time, which was extremely valuable. They described the conversation as pleasant, warm and involved. Everyone was very emotional?.

Throughout the entire journey, King Willem-Alexander was accompanied by the Mayor of Rotterdam, who has been involved with the aftermath of this tragedy since the first few moments of it unfolding.

TLLK

The annual Appeltjes van Oranje  awards were presented today by Queen Maxima with King W-A and Princess Beatrix in attendance.

Beelden | ANP Foto

TLLK

TLLK

The King addresses the news about his grandfather Prince Bernhard.

Koning over NSDAP-kaart Bernhard: 'Ook minder mooie kant verleden onder ogen zien' | Koningshuis | NU.nl

QuoteKing Willem-Alexander believes that "we must face the past, even the less beautiful parts". He said this on Thursday afternoon in response to the news about his grandfather Prince Bernhard. Bernhard's NSDAP membership card surfaced on Wednesday.

"I can well imagine that the news has a major impact and evokes many emotions, especially among the Jewish community," the king said before the presentation of the Royal Prize for Painting in the Royal Palace on Dam Square. "But I am convinced that we have to face the past, even the less beautiful parts of the past."

That is why Willem-Alexander has decided to release the Royal House Archives until September 6, 1948, the Royal House previously announced. From January, researchers can consult letters, documents and other sources from these archives dating back to 1948.

"I also have the option to remove things from the archive, but I have decided not to do that," the king said. "I believe that the entire archive should be available as transparently as possible, for the purposes of historiography."

Flip Maarschalkerweerd reveals in his book De stragglers that he has found Prince Bernhard's original NSDAP membership card. Maarschalkerweerd, former director of the Royal House Archives, came across the map in the private archives that he inventoried after the prince's death in 2004.

Historians have long suspected that Prince Bernhard was a member of the German Nazi party. He himself denied this until his death, even though evidence to the contrary appeared several times in the past. The discovery of his membership card seems to put an end to all uncertainty.

The Government Information Service (RVD) initially did not want to respond to the revelations about Bernhard. On Wednesday evening , the RVD confirmed the existence of the prince's NSDAP membership card.

The Center for Information and Documentation Israel (CIDI), an important voice of the Jewish community in the Netherlands, wants the government to investigate the prince's past. Outgoing Prime Minister Mark Rutte said he did not believe an investigation was necessary.

Curryong

I think the King is quite right to feel this way and to do this. Everybody in lifelong public service of whatever sort should be able to be scrutinised by historians, even after death, for their actions throughout their adult life.

How I wish, I really wish, that successive monarchs and the consorts in GB had employed the same approach. We would now be able to peruse Queen Victoria?s uncensored diaries, King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra?s private papers and letters, destroyed by orders of King Edward at their deaths, the Queen Mother?s letters to Diana and others, burned by Prss Margaret, for instance.

And future historians would be able to examine Prince Philip?s  correspondence to do with his private life, the late Queen?s letters to her consort and adult children about private matters as well. Instead we are left with huge gaps, as I am convinced their correspondence has already gone.

TLLK

I agree that this was the right approach to take regarding the late Prince Bernhard's personal belongings and his past. Also I believe it was easier to have W-A tackle this during his reign rather than his mother's. To have to confront this information during her own reign would have been more difficult for Beatrix and her sisters IMHO. They were already having to deal with the public acknowledgement of their two half sisters.

I hope that going forward that other royal families consider taking this approach.

TLLK

Queen Maxima visits Center of Expertise Applied Artificial Intelligence and FIX Brigade in Amsterdam ? UFO No More

On Thursday, Queen Maxima attended several engagements in Amsterdam. She first visited the Center of Expertise Applied Artificial Intelligence of the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences.

She toured the Smart Asset Management Lab and she spoke with researchers and recent graduates about the responsible use and application of Artificial Intelligence.

PrincessOfPeace

Princess Beatrix as Patron was present at the fourth edition of the Het Oranjepad charity walk of the Princess Beatrix Muscle Fund this afternoon, October 7:

Editorial Photos, Celebrity, News, & Sports Images | Shutterstock Editorial

TLLK

QuoteKing at Modified Celebration of 100 Years of Radboud University, Nijmegen, Netherlands - 17 Oct 2023

TLLK

Queen Maxima of the Netherlands looks chic in beige trousers and a matching top for sustainability visit in Rotterdam | Daily Mail Online

QuoteMaxima was given a tour around the facility by a member of staff and got to see a demonstration of how seaweed can be reused.

Rotterdam has a goal to reduce the primary use of raw materials by 50 percent by 2030.

Startups in the city are leading the way with the support of the city?s proactive policies and other initiatives. 

TLLK

TLLK

The King and Queen on their second day in South Africa.

Queen Maxima of the Netherlands stuns out in a vibrant violet gown on day two of state visit to South Africa | Daily Mail Online

QuoteThe royal, 52, was effortlessly vibrant in a bright violet gown which featured an ornate statement sleeve during a Welcome Ceremony at Union Buildings in Pretoria.

Also on today's agenda is a delegation meeting with the country's politicians, as well as a signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the two countries' education ministers.

This will be followed by a private lunch at the presidential residence and a visit to Freedom Park, which is dedicated to all South Africans who fought to end apartheid.

Queen Maxima and her husband will walk along the Wall of Names which honours people who died in the struggle for freedom and includes three Dutch nationals.

PrincessOfPeace

Today, Queen Maxima has started a three day visit to Kenya as United Nations Secretary-General's Special Advocate for Inclusive Finance for Development. -

TLLK

I wonder if she just stayed in South Africa after the State Visit had concluded and then flew to Kenya? It seems logical to just remain on the same continent.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on October 23, 2023, 04:05:36 PM
I wonder if she just stayed in South Africa after the State Visit had concluded and then flew to Kenya? It seems logical to just remain on the same continent.

Yes, I think she almost certainly did. That would be the logical thing to do.

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

The Ambassadors of Iran, Armenia and Canada were received by King Willem-Alexander today.

King Willem-Alexander also swore in the King's new Commissioner in the province of Flevoland:

PPE Agency

TLLK