Re: Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll

Started by LouisFerdinand, October 25, 2015, 11:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Did not the Marquis of Lorne have estate duties to handle for his father, the Duke of Argyll?

Curryong

In the Duke's old age, do you mean? Owners of large estates in Scotland had estate managers (known north of the border as factors) who handled the running of their lands. In any case the Duke had several other sons who could oversee that. Lorne seemed to live most of his adult life away from Scotland, though of course he visited at times.

For five years, from 1895, before he inherited the Dukedom, Lorne was MP for Manchester South, which meant attending Parliament in London. The Argylls were not particularly wealthy as a family and John and Louise suffered financial constraints after he became Duke. This was probably why Louise was given a grace and favour apartment at KP.

LouisFerdinand

^@Curryong, I meant that John, as the heir to his father, would have had aristocratic duties that only he, the heir, could perform.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 10, 2018, 12:32:03 AM
^@Curryong, I meant that John, as the heir to his father, would have had aristocratic duties that only he, the heir, could perform.

Would he? And what might they be? As far as I know, in the 19th century heirs to peerages lived very much their own lives. Unless the father was in bad health heirs didn't usually hang around the family estates. Peers had estate managers to look after their lands.

Heirs did sometimes sit in the Commons in seats that were in the family's hands or interest. Or they were often army officers in smart regiments. If they were interested in foreign affairs then sometimes they would join the diplomatic service. However I'm not aware of any aristocratic duty or rite that they were obliged to perform in the service of the family.

amabel

LouisFerdinand

In 1893 Princess Louise completed the marble sculpture of Queen Victoria that stands in Kensington Gardens.   
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/99008891787001125

LouisFerdinand

Princess Louise did not approve of her mother's enforced prolonged mourning. In 1865, Louise asked for the ballroom to be opened for a debutante dance to mark her seventeenth birthday. Queen Victoria refused.       

:windsor: :windsor: :windsor: :windsor: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :snob2: :snob2: :snob2: :snob2:

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

In 1900 Lorne became 9th Duke of Argyll and Louise his Duchess. That year, as the wounded from the Boer War  began arriving home, Louise turned the Ferry Inn into a hospital.       

:xmas4: :xmas4: :xmas4: :xmas4:

LouisFerdinand

I like the fact that Princess Louise had Caroline as a middle name. Queen Victoria's grandmother was Princess Augusta Caroline, Dowager Duchess of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.

:xmas4: :xmas4: :xmas4:

LouisFerdinand

In 1871 Princess Louise married John Campbell, Marquess of Lorne (future Duke of Argyll).   
Did she ever sign her name as Louise Campbell?   

:xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: