Re: Henry The VIII: Articles & Chat

Started by LouisFerdinand, June 28, 2016, 12:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Hyde Park was established by King Henry VIII in 1536 when he took the land from Westminster Abbey and he used it as a hunting ground.

LouisFerdinand

Prince Henry was steered toward a church career. How much theology did he study?

LouisFerdinand

Just eleven days after the execution of Queen Anne Boleyn, King Henry VIII married Jane Seymour on May 30, 1536.   
May 30 - Henry VIII and Jane Seymour get married - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

When King Henry VIII made himself Supreme Head of the Church of England, did he grant himself the divorce from Catherine of Aragon he wanted?

LouisFerdinand

By the time Henry VIII was sixteen, his father King Henry VII refused him a separate household and doled out pocket money to him.

LouisFerdinand

In order to support the church in Rome, King Henry VIII wrote Defense of the Seven Sacraments (Assertio septem sacramentorum) in 1521.

LouisFerdinand

Did the will of King Henry VIII debar the English throne from going to a foreigner?

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

King Henry VIII demanded that Queen Catherine of Aragon hand over her jewels. When she did so, he gave them to Anne Boleyn. Anne was already living in the royal rooms that had once belonged to Catherine.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Like his father, King Henry VIII understood the public relations value of magnificence and he created the palaces of Whitehall and St. James's in London and he grandified Hampton Court.     

:xmas22: :xmas22: :xmas22:

LouisFerdinand

Elizabeth Barton was a nun. She declared that a divorce of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon would be Henry's downfall. If he married Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth said Henry would lose his kingdom and die a villain's death.

Curryong

Didn't Elizabeth Barton predict that the King would lose the throne within a month of his marriage to Anne? Her prophesies, whether genuinely imparted from visions or not, were not really surprising when viewed in hindsight. The Holy Maid of Kent was of course devoutly Roman Catholic and a supporter of the Queen, Katherine , a view which fitted in with that of the majority of the population, who also regarded Anne as a wh*re. The Reformation was gathering pace, leaving many uneasy about the future, and Anne Boleyn was known to be interested in the new forms of Protestantism. In addition there were stories of her disrespect and contempt of Queen Katherine. Still, when her prophesies became publicly known Elizabeth must have known she would pay for it, or should have known. And she was executed of course.

LouisFerdinand

King Henry VIII granted Westminster Abbey the status of a cathedral charter in 1540. By granting the abbey a cathedral status, King Henry gained an excuse to spare it from the destruction or dissolution which he inflicted on most English abbeys during this period.

Curryong

A piece of the lost Tudor Crown, a little gold figurine supposedly representing Henry VIII, has been found in a Northamptonshire field. Various crowns and coronets belonging to English monarchs were of course destroyed, melted down during the Interregnum by Parliament, following King Charles I's execution. King Charles I was the last person to wear this particular crown. This piece of the crown is being assessed by the British Museum at the moment.

Royal news: Lost part Charles I's crown found 400 years after Cromwell melted it down | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: January 31, 2021, 08:19:59 PM

I made a boo boo here TLLK, due to reading the above article too quickly. I got several things wrong. This fragment of gold figurine is probably of Henry VI (the King whose reign saw the beginning of the Wars of the Roses) not VIII, in full regalia, and the crown, which was virtually destroyed in the Interregnum, was therefore much older in date than the Tudor period.

Therefore the above post is in the wrong thread. If possible could it please be put in the King Charles I thread (if there is one) or a Crown Jewels thread, I haven't been able to find one? So sorry!

LouisFerdinand

Anne of Cleves was the only one of King Henry VIII's wives who was not musical.

LouisFerdinand

Infanta Catherine of Aragon looks happy. Who might she have married instead?  :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Curryong

Quote from: Macrobug67 on April 23, 2021, 08:06:05 PM
:teehee:

https://twitter.com/TracyBorman/status/1385547279701057541

That?s quite funny! I suppose poor old Katherine of Aragon would be the only one without a smile because her marriage was arranged and she would have been stuck with him with no Anne Boleyn around. Presumably she and the rest would be married to other men.