Re: Henry The VIII: Articles & Chat

Started by LouisFerdinand, June 28, 2016, 12:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: snokitty on June 27, 2016, 12:26:24 PM
Eight things Henry VIII's break with Rome can teach us about negotiating #Brexit | Catherine Fletcher

QuoteIt's almost five hundred years since Henry VIII fundamentally changed English and Welsh relations with Europe's supranational political institution, the Papacy. Some things haven't changed much.
Recall that Henry's uncle by marriage was King Charles I of Spain. However Uncle Charles' sovereign power did not end there. He was also Holy Roman Emperor Charles V. But even this position did not frighten Henry VIII to drop the divorce.

LouisFerdinand

Was Henry VIII a religious fanatic?   
                   Documentary | Henry VIII - The Most Iconic King of English History - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

In 1541 King Henry VIII had a law introduced which banned all sports on Christmas Day except for archery.

Curryong

^ How oldfashioned of King Henry! By this time arquebuses and calivers (ancestors of muskets)  were making an appearance, and cannon was already very useful during sieges. Admittedly, since Crecy and Agincourt English bowmen were legendary all over Europe and in some parts of the continent yew trees had been exported for generations leaving forests denuded. They remained useful and handy for snipers and siege situations on board ships, hence the large number found on the sunken flagship the Mary Rose. Nevertheless, that time was passing.

LouisFerdinand

King Henry VIII enjoyed building collections of things he valued, in particular weapons. He owned thousands of pieces of arms and armor.

LouisFerdinand

Lord Herbert of Cherbury stated in The Life and Raigne of Henry the Eighth, published in 1649, that Prince Henry, as a younger son, was destined for the Church. There is no other evidence of this claim.

LouisFerdinand

Young King Henry VIII reminded many observers of King Edward IV. Henry's real hero was King Henry V. Henry VIII intended to become not just a good king but the greatest in Europe.

LouisFerdinand

In 1541 King Henry VIII presented Queen Catherine Howard with jewels which included 52 diamonds, 756 pearls and 18 rubies.

Curryong

Ah, yes, the Henry, Catherine Howard union. That was another Royal marriage that ended in disaster and unfortunate consequences for one of the participants! I wonder whether Henry reused the jewels in other pieces for Katherne Parr!

LouisFerdinand

@Curryong, The jewels, if any, would be interesting to learn about. First did Henry VIII give any jewels to Catherine Howard?

Curryong

^ I presume you mean Katherine Parr, since you've already posted about some of Catherine Howard's jewels. Katherine was only 31 when she married Henry VIII but, although a widow and much more sensible and serious minded than her predecessor, she very much enjoyed jewellery, entertainments and dancing.

Henry started sending her gifts in February 1543, a year after Catherine Howard's execution. After katherine reluctantly married him there were no doubt many jewels given to her and others she inherited from his former wives. She took them with her when she married Lord Thomas Seymour, the Lord High Admiral, after Henry's death. She was painted as Queen, the portrait is in the National Gallery, and one of the jewels she wears in that portrait appeared on the bosoms of two Queens after her, Elizabeth I and King James I's wife Anne.

It is described in a later inventory, but of course her widower was executed, her daughter's fate was unknown and her jewellery seems to have returned to the Crown, (or was confiscated) as it was inherited by Queen Elizabeth I.

This 'coronet' Jewel, was a queenly piece as it was described in the inventory as
'One ouche or flower' (archaic words for brooch) 'with a crown containing two diamonds, one ruby, one emerald, the crown being garnished with diamonds (and three pearls pendant.)' it was made by her favourite goldsmith.

It's described and shown here but I just wonder whether without the benefit of modern cutting and polishing these jewels would have really shone as brightly as they could have, with the exception of pears of course, which always glowed.

Queen Katherine Parr: The Coronet Brooch – tudorqueen6

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

King Henry VIII maintained a strong preference for the traditional Catholic ways during his reign. Few changes could be made to the practices of the Church of England.

Curryong

^ His son didn't, though. Edward VI was a radical and priggish Protestant who'd been taught to regard the Reformation as a marvellous event.

LouisFerdinand

In 1511 the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I made King Henry VIII a gift of a suit of the best armour in Europe, from Germany in honor of Henry's prowess in jousting at tournaments.

LouisFerdinand

In 1519, with papal encouragement, King Henry VIII tried to win election as Holy Roman Emperor following Maximilian I's demise. However, the electors in Frankfurt, Germany preferred the claim of King Charles (Carlos) I of Spain.

LouisFerdinand

Did Henry VIII marry Catherine of Aragon to give him a Spanish alliance against France?

LouisFerdinand

In 1539 King Henry VIII wrote the final text of the Act of Six Articles. The Act upheld traditional Catholic doctrine on the Mass, clerical celibacy and confession. The Act was intended to show that Henry's being head of the Church of England did not require fundamental changes in belief.

LouisFerdinand

Was the reason that Pope Clement VII did not annul Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon's marriage was because he (Clement VII) was under the influence of Catherine's nephew, Holy Roman Emperor Charles V?

LouisFerdinand

In 1536 King Henry VIII approved an English translation of the Bible. Did this act go against the Roman Catholic Church?

LouisFerdinand

In 1540 Waltham Abbey, the last monastic house in England, was closed down by King Henry VIII as part of his reformation of the Church of England.

LouisFerdinand

If Anne of Cleves would have wanted to marry a foreign nobleman or a foreign prince, would she have been required to get the approval of King Henry VIII?

Curryong

amabel

Anne wasn't going to rock the boat by wanting ot marry anyone else, though I believe she half hoped in later life that Henry might remarry her.  Her life was relatively comfortable, but I think at times she wished she could go back to Cleves or that she wasn't In this "half world" of being a divorced wife who had never really been a wife...