Sussex family birthdays, anniversaries and other milestones

Started by wannable, August 04, 2019, 02:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amabel2

Any clergy person could do the baptism  IN fact any Christian can baptise

TLLK

Quote from: changemhysoul on March 18, 2023, 01:46:58 PM
I thought the same about Bishop Curry. It said this was his second bout as well. It's good he had someone he trusted enough to take over for him.

I'm not surprised that he'd ask his delegate in Los Angeles as Santa Barbara Co. is one of the five and half counties in the diocese. Sorry that this is Bishop Curry's second bout, but hopefully his symptoms were mild.

TLLK

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 18, 2023, 01:48:36 PM
Yes, but isn't that situation of any Christian performing the sacrament typically for emergencies?

Amabel2

Yes of course, but there is harldy any need to wait 2 years almost to baptise a child and look for a bishop to do it.

PrincessOfPeace

As far as the baptismal, using the Bishop of Los Angeles seems over the top. No local vicar for these two.

Amabel2

Agree, But I suppose it was necessary to emphasise that the child was a PRINCESS, and could only be baptised by a senior cleric

changemhysoul

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 18, 2023, 05:53:33 PM
Agree, But I suppose it was necessary to emphasise that the child was a PRINCESS, and could only be baptised by a senior cleric

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 18, 2023, 01:48:36 PM

Bishop Curry was the man who preached at their wedding, so there was a connection for someone who had a personal relationship with them. Not due to Lili being a PRINCESS but it was the man who had them wed. They were now in America and could have someone who was with them on important day, perform this important act.

Bishop Curry -the man who wed them- then came down with covid and said "hey, this is a person I trust, I'll ask them to go in my stead."

Actually, no. It wasn't about emphasizing she was PRINCESS, unless Bishop Curry personally called you up and told you that, then I'd be incorrect.

It's nothing to be snide about or imply that they're saying only a Bishop was good enough for PRINCESS Lilibet.

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on March 18, 2023, 05:24:18 PM
As far as the baptismal, using the Bishop of Los Angeles seems over the top. No local vicar for these two.

There isn't anything over the top about asking the man who married you to do also perform this act. It wasn't the Sussex's who pivoted and asked another Bishop, it was the man himself.

So no, no local vicar for these two because the person who was slated to do the job, who had a real connection to them.... the asked someone HE trusted with it.

But yes, Bishop Curry's choice is somehow the fault of Harry and Meghan and means that they're uppity and look down on local vicar's. Yes,

Amabel2

I didnt know that they had any connexion with Bishop Curry.  I thouth that they just had to find an Episcopalian American  bishop for the service.  Have they perhaps been attending his church, over the past 3 years?  He certainly didnt perform the marriage service.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 18, 2023, 08:15:10 PM
I didnt know that they had any connexion with Bishop Curry.  I thouth that they just had to find an Episcopalian American  bishop for the service.  Have they perhaps been attending his church, over the past 3 years?  He certainly didnt perform the marriage service.

The Archbishop of Canterbury married the Sussexes. However Bishop Curry gave the (long) sermon at their wedding and was prominent during the service. I remember it well.

Bishop Michael Curry's FULL royal wedding sermon - YouTube

Amabel2

yes we know that he gave a loong and incoherent sermon at the wedding.  And my understanding was that they needed to have an American at the service so he was found.  News to me that they have any connextion with him other than that service years ago.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 18, 2023, 08:51:59 PM
yes we know that he gave a loong and incoherent sermon at the wedding.  And my understanding was that they needed to have an American at the service so he was found.  News to me that they have any connextion with him other than that service years ago.

Are other royals always round at the Archbishop of Canterbury?s house for lunch, inviting him to tea and so on in spite of him presiding at their weddings and christenings? Do most people who marry in church have a close personal longterm relationship with the cleric who marries them, in Protestant churches? Not in my experience!

Bishop Curry told People magazine that he supported Meghan?s advocacy of voting at elections when she was urging citizens to get out and vote in the last Presidential election.

He?s also a supporter of Meghan?s recent advocacy for voting, telling the outlet: ?We need help. We need healing. She does that. She's lifting up women and we need somebody to lift up women, lift up people. Lift up people of all colours. The truth is, a rising tide raises all ships."

changemhysoul

. It was very much coherent for a lot of people. It might've been slightly cringe/awkward (given the history of the BRF), slightly long and fiery but it wasn't as one couldn't understand or follow If you didn't understand it, it's fine and understandable.

Can you please share were you found the news that they needed have an American at the service? I'd be interested in reading that. Other than what Curryong also pointed out, we don't have how much contact they've had and even if they had none. There is a connection, him marrying them is just as a valid a connection as anything else.

Quote Post edited for tone and content.  Please note that the tone and content of posts in this thread are beginning to contravene our User Conduct and Etiquette Guide. One or more posts of this nature will result in the topic being locked for a longer period of time.  All members are responsible for their own contributions.

Posting Rules and Expectations

Macrobug67

There seems to be a bit of snipping  at each other going on in here.  So, Im going to temporarily close the thread so that everyone can take a deep breath, sip a nice glass of red wine, take a look at the forum rules (especially the part about not taking potshots at each other) and shake it off.  Personally, Im going for a nice Chianti. 

TLLK

Archbishop Curry is based in NYC, New York so I doubt that the Sussexes have been attending any of his services unless they happen to be in the area or vice versa. Also considering that recently as 2020 the world was on lock down and  attendance at in person church services across the U.S. were very limited depending upon your state and  county's mandates, it's likely that the Sussexes kept in touch with Archbishop Curry through other means.   There are three local Episcopal congregations in Santa Barbara area  which is part of the Diocese of Los Angeles. With Archbishop Curry being ill, it makes sense that he'd recommend the Bishop of Los Angeles, Rev. John Taylor to bestow the sacrament on little Lilibet. At this point in time, I don't plan to speculate on the Sussexes' church attendance.

Some general information on Archbishop Curry can be found in the link below. Currently he serves as the Primate of the Episcopal Church, thus making him the highest ranking bishop in the American Episcopal Church since his election in 2015. He is also the first person of color to hold that esteemed office.  As the highest ranking representative of the Episcopal Church in the U.S., he presided over the funerals of the late President George H.W. Bush and Senator John McCain.  (Typically there's only one Primate per country though the UK has two-Canterbury and York.) Due to his position, I can understand why he was invited to give the much remarked upon 14 minute sermon at the wedding of Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle in 2018. @Curryong is correct in stating that the couple were actually married by the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby who is the highest ranking spiritual leader of the Anglican church.  The British monarch is the head of the Church of England.

Presiding Bishop Michael Curry ? The Episcopal Church

QuoteThe Most Rev. Michael Bruce Curry is Presiding Bishop and Primate of The Episcopal Church.  He is the Chief Pastor and serves as President and Chief Executive Officer, and as Chair of the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church.

Presiding Bishop Curry was installed as the 27th Presiding Bishop and Primate of The Episcopal Church on November 1, 2015.  He was elected to a nine-year term and confirmed at the 78th General Convention of The Episcopal Church in Salt Lake City, UT, on June 27, 2015.

TLLK

Posters wishing to continue the discussion of Archbishop Curry's sermon at the Sussexes' wedding can continue the conversation in the thread linked below. 

Prince Harry & Meghan Markle Wedding SGCW 19/5/18 Part 4

changemhysoul

Happy Birthday Prince Archie!

I hope your papa get home quickly and you wake up to a lot of fun and joy! In honor of Archie's birthday, his fundraise (And Lili's) has already smashed the goal and is at $58,494, I can't wait to see what it'll be like for Lili's bday.

I know they rarely release photos and I don't expect it to be a full frontal shot but hopefully, within a few days we get a photo of Archie for his bday! I don't expect it today because of "over shadowing the coronation!" cries but something cute like him holding the balloon or with his chickens soon.

Curryong

Yes I?ve just wished Archie a Happy Birthday on a thread in another forum. Four years old! Can?t believe it!

That money total is fantastic. The girls and guys have really outdone themselves this year. I?m looking for a couple of photos in the next few days. One of Archie by himself doing something interesting,lol, and maybe a family foursome one. But that might be a step too far!

changemhysoul

Quote from: Curryong on May 06, 2023, 01:52:42 PM
Yes I?ve just wished Archie a Happy Birthday on a thread in another forum. Four years old! Can?t believe it!

That money total is fantastic. The girls and guys have really outdone themselves this year. I?m looking for a couple of photos in the next few days. One of Archie by himself doing something interesting,lol, and maybe a family foursome one. But that might be a step too far!

Haha! I realized this was my mistake as well. I thought I posted this in the family milestones thread! And same! I feel like I?m asking for too much for two, a solo and family pic. Just a cute one of Archie would be fine.

Also, want to ask the Mods, if they could move my post to the right thread. I realized that I posted in the wrong one.

TLLK

Wishing Prince Archie a belated Happy 4th Birthday!
:bday7:

changemhysoul

I said Happy Birthday in the wrong thread but Happy Birthday Archie!

But Archie bday related stuff

Now $69,372 has been raised for Archie to Lili's bday! Kaboom even put out a small thank you video.

and also this cute little thing for his bday

Boys and Girls Club Kids Washington DC Manassas branch name Woodland Grove in honor of Prince Archie on 6 May 2023

https://twitter.com/Rynee7711/status/1655166121044000769

Curryong

For the Washington boys and girls branch to do this for Archie is so lovely, so sweet. The kids all look delighted. I?m sure one day Archie will visit them and be incredibly touched.

I hope Archie had a fantastic birthday. Somebody online was even sarcastic about Meghan?s making him a lemon cake, saying he wouldn?t like it when obviously he does. And actually, that type of homemade cake is my grandson?s favourite as well.

TLLK

I'm hoping that we might see an updated photo of the Sussex children in the coming weeks perhaps around Princess Lilibet's birthday?

changemhysoul

Quote from: TLLK on May 09, 2023, 12:29:49 PM
I'm hoping that we might see an updated photo of the Sussex children in the coming weeks perhaps around Princess Lilibet's birthday?

I'm guessing, if we don't get a photo of Archie this month, then maybe something around Lili's bday.

I also saw a comment that said with the release of the Netflix doc and all of the photos/videos we got of Archie and Lili, we might not get anything for a while. Which tracks.

changemhysoul

Happy Anni! to the Sussex's.

A toast to everyone who said they wouldn't last a year.

Curryong

Quote from: changemhysoul on May 19, 2023, 12:10:35 PM
Happy Anni! to the Sussex's.

A toast to everyone who said they wouldn't last a year.

Yes, happy fifth anniversary to Harry and Meghan! Five years and two children later. People were predicting they would split even when they got engaged.