Prince and Princess of Wales - Honorary Military Appointments

Started by TLLK, December 16, 2015, 08:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

@wannable-I agree. With the coming anniversary of the late QEII's death, this is an appropriate time to announce the new appointments. Those roles that were once held by the late QEII, Prince Phillips as well as the Dukes of York and Sussex were going to be filled by the working members of the BRF. Currently there are three military veterans among the working royals: KCIII, PoW, and DoK.

PrincessOfPeace

Very happy for both Catherine and William on their new appointments!

TLLK

Yes! Congratulations to the Wales as well as the other working members of the family who are taking on these new roles.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on August 11, 2023, 12:11:41 PM
@wannable-I agree. With the coming anniversary of the late QEII's death, this is an appropriate time to announce the new appointments. Those roles that were once held by the late QEII, Prince Phillips as well as the Dukes of York and Sussex were going to be filled by the working members of the BRF. Currently there are three military veterans among the working royals: KCIII, PoW, and DoK.

Well, the Duke of Kent is almost 90 and when he retires as he almost certainly will over the next few months (he undertakes relatively few royal engagements now) that will leave a grand total of two RF members who have seen active service, and neither of these two have served in a conflict of any kind. Nor did the Duke of Kent, as a matter of fact, though that was merely coincidence.

wannable

Catherine's ties with the military, especially the RAF is based on her grandfather Peter Middleton - mentioned in the official Buckingham Palace announcement.

My personal comment, for historical purposes since she is the future Queen and Queen mother to a King, for what it's worth, during Catherine's first official duty at Wales with her future husband, her fascinator had three (3) pins - it's great that the family heirlooms were kept, not lost, including notes from the WWI zone, the latter all preserved at the Imperial Museum at London.  Maurice, Lionel and Francis - meaning the surname Lupton died with the three brothers, sons of Catherine's great great grandfather, her great uncles.

The second page of the BP announcement, second to the top. HRH Catherine, Princess of Wales

TLLK

I shared a link in the King and Queen's forum from Gerts Royals which has an excellent overview of the announcement yesterday and who were the previous appointees.

King and Queen Military Service and Honorary Appointments and events

Nightowl

Quote from: Curryong on August 10, 2023, 11:48:54 PM
Kate ?returning to her flying roots?? Well, blow me down. I had no idea that Kate was once an RAF or commercial pilot. She hasn?t even, unlike Fergie who did indeed take flying lessons after marriage and even got a helicopter pilot?s licence because she wanted to experience what Andrew had gone through, been in front of the controls of any aircraft. And I don?t think that having one grandfather who was in the RAF and once flew Prince Philip around, qualifies as a root of anything.

Fair enough if the royal concerned has been in the armed services. However, Anne and the prospect of Camilla and Kate, swanning around in unearned uniforms and medals is imo not just daft but insulting. Imo, with a much shrunken RF it?s time for a lot more honorary Colonelcies to go to other people who have genuinely earned them through years of military service to their country even if they aren?t royal.

And that will be doubly true if Charlotte and Louis and above all, George, do not join the armed forces in their future but are allowed to play toy soldiers in the future. At least, whatever their faults, Philip, Andrew and Harry risked their lives in war zones and served their country in that way. Charles hasn?t, and William hasn?t.

Some people are really showing this dislike of the royal family here....so why even go there and comment if it upsets a person, just ignore them.  I think that is one has an issue with who gets medals then write the King or those that write the articles write the CEO of the companies that own the tabloids or just IGNORE them. Why get upset and get the blood pressure up....I am learning that myself......LOL

wannable

The Prince and Princess of Wales
@KensingtonRoyal

An honour to serve our new military affiliations across the
@royalnavy
@britisharmyand
@RoyalAirForce 🎖️
Fleet Air Arm
1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards-
@TheWelshCavalry
@MercianRegiment
@ArmyAirCorps
@RAFConingsby
RAF Valley

https://twitter.com/i/status/1689920591589969920

^ The POW's video content producer is Ace.

PrincessOfPeace

4  military appointments for The Princess of Wales! Well done!

Curryong

All the toy soldier appointments for the Wales?s and others who were given them is far more a sign of a shrunken and elderly RF roster than anything else. What?s going to happen when the Duke of Kent retires (and he?s nearly 90) and the Gloucesters at nearly 80 now do the same, meaning that all their HONORARY military appointments have to be redistributed?

And honorary, of course, means in this case, not anything these royals have actually done in the services, because the majority haven?t even served, merely a high ranking military honour because of birth or who they married. The Wales and Edinburghs going to have another dozen or so in another four or five years are they, or perhaps Camilla, who?s tottery and nearly as old as the Gloucesters?

In the meantime men who were active Colonels and Commodores and Admirals are just pushed aside so this lot can wear unearned uniforms and Jubilee medals on their chests in place of service ones. What an absolute farce!

wannable

Nobody in the world beats or are even close to the United Kingdom with its pomp and ceremony - Military too - the milestones, the celebrations, the special occasions, the remembrance, the poppy day, the opening of a new military fillintheblank, the MOD knows how to use their British Royals for PR and Marketing.

TLLK

I do believe that in the near future that the Kent's honorary military appointments will be redistributed among the BRF's working members.  As long as the Ministry of Defense,  the Armed Forces and the royals are in agreement with honorary military appointments,  then the tradition will continue.  Other royal families in Europe have a similar tradition where members of their reigning families act as the Patron,  Godmother, or honorary Colonel of the Regiment.  Currently Denmark's Queen Margaret  is the Honorary Colonel of the Princess of Wales Regiment of the UK.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on August 13, 2023, 01:35:14 AM
I do believe that in the near future that the Kent's honorary military appointments will be redistributed among the BRF's working members.  As long as the Ministry of Defense,  the Armed Forces and the royals are in agreement with honorary military appointments,  then the tradition will continue.  Other royal families in Europe have a similar tradition where members of their reigning families act as the Patron,  Godmother, or honorary Colonel of the Regiment.  Currently Denmark's Queen Margaret  is the Honorary Colonel of the Princess of Wales Regiment of the UK.

Most of the members of European royal families don?t have dozens and dozens of these meaningless things each from every armed service. The British do, including Commonwealth Armed Forces honoraries.

At least when retired senior officers of British regiments, squadrons etc take over Hon Colonelcies etc (and there are some regiments that have them) they wear the uniforms of their old regiments and squadrons and have medals commemorating many decades of service in the armed forces pinned to their chests. Not like this lot. 

Nightowl

I am all for the members of the royal family getting medals even if the are not out in the fields fighting, those medals to me mean they are promoting and representing their country for the very people that support the country and the monarchy....it is teamwork in a way.

I have hundreds of kings and queens in my country, they are called *Congress* who only support their bank accounts like the senator from the south who made 25 million insider trading and nothing was done to him by Congress.  I would rather have the British Royal Family, at least they love their country.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on August 13, 2023, 02:48:47 AM
Most of the members of European royal families don?t have dozens and dozens of these meaningless things each from every armed service. The British do, including Commonwealth Armed Forces honoraries.

At least when retired senior officers of British regiments, squadrons etc take over Hon Colonelcies etc (and there are some regiments that have them) they wear the uniforms of their old regiments and squadrons and have medals commemorating many decades of service in the armed forces pinned to their chests. Not like this lot. 
The British Armed Forces and the Ministry of Defense don't appear to have an issue with members of the British Royal Family being the honorary representatives of the various squadrons, fleets and regiments. Personally I believe that  is most likely due to the fact that this is simply an honorary position and not an actual one. They know if the Duke of Gloucester appears at an event, that he's not going to give orders, review a service member's performance or expect "the King's Shilling."
Based upon the fact that the British Armed Forces and MoD have not objected to the recent announcements of the new honorary military appointments, it would seem that they don't find their relationship with the BRF to be "meaningless." Now should that change in the future, then we'll likely see those honorary roles going to other people.

As for the Commonwealth nations, it's up to each individual country's Armed Forces to determine if they wish to continue any association with the BRF. 

TLLK

Let's return to the topic of the Wales  Honorary Military Appointments. Further discussion of the BRF's popularity can be taken to this thread linked below. Previous comments on the British public's views on the monarchy have been moved to that thread. 

The Role of the British Monarchy, Popularity and Future discussion part 2

Nightowl

Quote from: TLLK on August 13, 2023, 12:38:09 PM
The British Armed Forces and the Ministry of Defense don't appear to have an issue with members of the British Royal Family being the honorary representatives of the various squadrons, fleets and regiments. Personally I believe that  is most likely due to the fact that this is simply an honorary position and not an actual one. They know if the Duke of Gloucester appears at an event, that he's not going to give orders, review a service member's performance or expect "the King's Shilling."
Based upon the fact that the British Armed Forces and MoD have not objected to the recent announcements of the new honorary military appointments, it would seem that they don't find their relationship with the BRF to be "meaningless." Now should that change in the future, then we'll likely see those honorary roles going to other people.

As for the Commonwealth nations, it's up to each individual country's Armed Forces to determine if they wish to continue any association with the BRF.

Yes agree 1000% with your comment and it shows that there is a huge support for the royal family and those that get the medals. Just look at the support for the men who carried HM's coffin, how they must of felt honored and pride to do so.

I say for those countries that want to rid themselves of King Charles and the royal family, just GO, do your own thing and fade away into the vast unknown like Edward and Wallis.  WE all have choices even those that dislike the royal family and Britain.  Nobody is stopping any country that I know of. I think it would be better for some to leave, break those ties, do your own thing, go your own way...I don't think anybody will miss whomever leaves.

Curryong

Quote from: Nightowl on August 14, 2023, 03:05:14 AM
Yes agree 1000% with your comment and it shows that there is a huge support for the royal family and those that get the medals. Just look at the support for the men who carried HM's coffin, how they must of felt honored and pride to do so.

I say for those countries that want to rid themselves of King Charles and the royal family, just GO, do your own thing and fade away into the vast unknown like Edward and Wallis.  WE all have choices even those that dislike the royal family and Britain.  Nobody is stopping any country that I know of. I think it would be better for some to leave, break those ties, do your own thing, go your own way...I don't think anybody will miss whomever leaves.

Why would Australia fade away anywhere let alone ?the vast unknown? if it ceased to be a realm? It is a continent as well as a country and it won?t be fading anywhere, just will have a HOS of its own. It will remain in the Commonwealth like the majority of Commonwealth countries. And, There are only 15 realms left . It?s they who are fading away fast.

As for not being missed by royals, don?t be so sure. Charles has said many times that he retains many fond memories of Australia from his youth at Timbertop. And the BRF and the Foreign Office/commonwealth Secretariat are very very aware of the importance of the realms. That?s why there are regular royal tours to each of the larger ones, every couple of years or so, to shore up the Crown?s relationship with them.

As this article from early this year puts it ?he would be sad and disappointed? if Australia (which is after all the largest of the realms, with Canada) left.

King Charles will be 'sad' if Australia becomes a republic as expert predicts his reaction | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Nightowl

^
Well that sure got an response  didn't  it. LOL.....I have gathered that some here did not like the royal family and gave the impression that they would love to leave everything royal in the dust.......Seems like only some in the royal family can do no wrong so they should have their own country or an island all to themselves to rule as they please.  This way all tabloids are not allowed, only those that are yes sir, yes ma'am.  :yesss:

wannable

Having royalty ensures media exposure, exponentially 100 times more and globally than non royals at a military event hence my pomp and pageantry comment tied to MOD PR and marketing. This is a fact.

In most countries their military events get exposure only in their own country - if something unusual happens perhaps regionally.  That is it.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on August 14, 2023, 11:41:46 AM
Having royalty ensures media exposure, exponentially 100 times more and globally than non royals at a military event hence my pomp and pageantry comment tied to MOD PR and marketing. This is a fact.

In most countries their military events get exposure only in their own country - if something unusual happens perhaps regionally.  That is it.

I realise that tourists like to gawk at bearskins at Trooping and pat the horses of the Lifeguards on Horseguards Parade if that?s what you mean. I don?t know that that sort of military ?exposure? means that much in the end though.

There are plenty of tourists who lap up the military parades on Bastille Day in France every July. I know because I?ve seen it. Tourists look at any military commemorations in the US which are well publicised. Also Russia has its May Day parades and China has plenty  of military marches on national days and special occasions which have been shown lots of times on international TV. None of those countries are monarchies.

And international media exposure for the military in the monarchies of Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Spain, Monaco, the Netherlands, Luxembourg ?????

wannable

I'm subscribed to paperboy, they publish and one can choose also by continent (ETA: one can choose by country, regionally or worldwide to see who, what made front page news, technology advance - you can also see by numbers who and what made it, usually bad news, but the royals are ''refreshing with good news'') - see what made front page news.  Only the UK royals and any ''other none royalty related'' bombshell news make it globally. Include the Military.  In other none military news, only William and Kate make it out of the 'region' - the media reports on any of their events with full display front page.

BUT you have a point, BUT also nobody knows IF without royalty - the UK Military would or could make global news of the pomp and pageantry.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on August 14, 2023, 11:41:46 AM

And yet your quote wasn?t specifically about UK military but that ?having royalty ensures media exposure?. I pointed out that there are many other countries that do have royals doesn?t guarantee media exposure, and there are other countries which are republics that do. And there are plenty of engagements undertaken by Kate and William that aren?t covered in any great detail on the front page of even British newspapers let alone leading European or US ones.

wannable

They don't - as I said the none royalty military events only have 12 hour exposure in their own country.  Something unusual would have to happen to make it at least regionally for 24 hours and transferred to social media, the only two countries that get worldwide exposure is Russia/China if a picture or video is taken.

The UK Military with it's royals do get worldwide exposure. They are the only ones.