Prince William To Help Pro-hunt Offender

Started by abhaya, April 27, 2005, 02:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kells08

I hope foxes and rabbits dont become extinct.  :cry: I also hope that if anyone hunts they should be careful not to shoot people! :rant:  
For every star awaits a moon, for every moon awaits a dream ~ .... and they said she wasn't a dreamer!
Kelly D.  aka Kells08

Id rather be a failure at something I love, than a success at something I hate - George Burns (RIP)

~Sophia~

Animals and humans are the same....period :D  

TB

For all those that were discussing astrology here, I just thought I'd let you know I put up an astrology thread in Chat. ^_^

Edit: As for rabbits and foxes becoming extinct, I really doubt that would happen. Those animals reproduce like whoa... And if they were endangered, no one would be allowed to hunt them anyway.  

I Pirates

Kells08

I was just trying to bring the topic back up  
For every star awaits a moon, for every moon awaits a dream ~ .... and they said she wasn't a dreamer!
Kelly D.  aka Kells08

Id rather be a failure at something I love, than a success at something I hate - George Burns (RIP)

TB

Oh I know! :lol: Thanks for that, but I felt I should respond somehow to the topic, if the first thing I typed was off-topic. ^_^

I Pirates

NINA

QuoteAnimals and humans are the same....period :D
:wavey: yes I DONT WANT THEM TO DIE :waaaah:  
Never give up on the things that make you smile !!

WOW

QuoteFor all those that were discussing astrology here, I just thought I'd let you know I put up an astrology thread in Chat.

Thanks TrueBlue!

NINA

QuoteFor all those that were discussing astrology here, I just thought I'd let you know I put up an astrology thread in Chat.

Thanks TrueBlue!
THANKS , :notworthy:  

Wombat

They were not introduced for food.  Along with rabbits they were introduced by an English general so that he could hold shooting house parties on his property in SA.  The same thing happened in New Zealand where farms are now over run with rabbits and the farmers have to shoot them.
You are right Olympia but you are also wrong.... they were also introduced as a source of food for the lower classes who, mostly came from traditional english farming backgrounds, failed at their crops in the first  decades of settlement in Australia.  

It was deemed important not only to keep up good sporting traditions but to also provide a source of food for the "lower" classes who where at times living in horrid and suffering from hunger. The power brokers within Australian colonial society at the time (mostly British upper-crust & miliary society that is) thought it good practice to not only have a sport from "home" but to also "throw the beggars a bone or two" (most of whom were ex-convicts or lowly paid sailors and their families who came here with the promise of a bright future).

As for New Zealand......their economy relies very heavily on its sheep trade...more so than Australia.....I support their efforts in trying to curb the fox population there...rabbits don't kill by the way...the just eat out huge tracks of foilage....there effect is on native animals food sources.

Olympia

They were not introduced for food.  Along with rabbits they were introduced by an English general so that he could hold shooting house parties on his property in SA.  The same thing happened in New Zealand where farms are now over run with rabbits and the farmers have to shoot them.
You are right Olympia but you are also wrong.... they were also introduced as a source of food for the lower classes who, mostly came from traditional english farming backgrounds, failed at their crops in the first  decades of settlement in Australia.  

It was deemed important not only to keep up good sporting traditions but to also provide a source of food for the "lower" classes who where at times living in horrid and suffering from hunger. The power brokers within Australian colonial society at the time (mostly British upper-crust & miliary society that is) thought it good practice to not only have a sport from "home" but to also "throw the beggars a bone or two" (most of whom were ex-convicts or lowly paid sailors and their families who came here with the promise of a bright future).

As for New Zealand......their economy relies very heavily on its sheep trade...more so than Australia.....I support their efforts in trying to curb the fox population there...rabbits don't kill by the way...the just eat out huge tracks of foilage....there effect is on native animals food sources.
Agreed :hug:  
Signatures are just soooooo distracting LOL

abhaya

i think will did hurt his head when he fell off the horse or he must have lost it completly. maybe this is the first sign.

Jamericanbeauty

^ ^:happytears: ^ ^
If anything, I hope the news report was a fake. I don't think Will would associate with something that controversial. . . I live in NYC, so I don't have any experience in hunting foxes or rabbits. I don't think that they should be killed for fun. That's just cruel. And in regards to overpopulation in certain countries, it's not the animals fault that they were displaced from their natural environments. In the future, officials should move the animals to countries that don't have enough to eat. Then they would be (sorry for the pun) "killing two birds with one stone."  :)  

~Sophia~

Please be considerable of space and do not unecessarily quote huge posts,especially when it's right above yours'.It makes the thread and forum look untidy and messy.
If it's a huge quote,you could just quote certain sentences/parts that concerned you.

If you have any questions,then PM any of the Mods.

BTW,I'm not trying to pick on certain members.This is to all members.

Thanks.

NINA

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes: THANKS SOPHIA. I´LL TRY TO REMEMBER IT. :rolleyes:

Firefly

I'm not a hunter, but my dad, 2 brothers and husband are. My husband hunts deer and pheasant. We had a wonderful venison roast yesturday for supper and plenty more in our freezer! We're not starving, but he still hunts. The meat is actually more healthful and to me its more humane then factory farms. Some people who are against hunting still eat beef, chicken and pork- and those animals live less humane lives then hunted animals.

Growing up- rabbit was common for us too. I had pet rabbits that were kept until  they died of old age, but we had such an overpopulation of wild rabbits, that they would end up on the table sometimes. They taste like chicken.

So many predators have been decimated that many prey animals have to be hunted in order to keep a healthy population of them. Thats the way its supposed to be- nature is very cruel and unforgiving- watch "animal planet" or the "discovery" channel- some have to die to keep existing populations at a healthy and managable level. Many prey animals adapt very well to city living- including deer- but their natural predators can not exist in many areas they can and would not be tolerated by the people living there. Fox also live well in cities as well as raccoons.

This definitely is a subject that people will disagree on- thats ok! Theres nothing wrong with a little friendly debate and stating opinions as long as its kept respectful and mindful that others will disagree!  :)  I really could write much more on this subject, but am through for now!! :)

Decide. Commit. Succeed.

rosiekusa

The article just says he is supporting his friend Otis Ferry who is very pro-hunting. We already know he's pro fox hunting, so I think this article is basically about nothing.  :P

Can't say I'm for foxhunting, since it's killing for sport. Doubt it does much to effectively reduce the fox population.

Lot's of interesting debate here. Sounds similar to the deer overpopulation here--in a nearby state park when the deer population gets out of hand, there is a very short deer hunting season. Am afraid the hunters will shoot each other !! :unsure:

nienkiB

At first I didn't think I was going to get into this as its such a heated debate, but Firefly was right its just everyone's opinion, so its ok. ^_^

I don't think we should judge Wills at all. He is after all just standing by his friend. I take my hat off to him for taking such a controversial stand for friendship and indirectly for what he believes in. I'm glad to see that he stands up for what he thinks is right, I would have thought less of him if he didn't.

I'm from South Africa and hunting is good tourism. I love biltong and when my dad(who doesn't really hunt, but goes on hunting with his business partners for a real men only weekend :rolleyes: ), goes on hunting weekends we get lots of meat and biltong. I don't see the difference between buying it in the shop and hunting it. The animals had a good life until they were shot. There's nothing inhumane about it either as they always shoot so that the animal dies instantly.

Willite #0038

rosiekusa

Well, since it is such a controversial subject, perhaps he, as a public figure, shouldn't be so open regarding his personal opinion.  

Everything a royal does is so politicized, it may be difficult to know what the consequences of a simple act will be.

Whatever... :zzzz:  

NINA

QuoteWell, since it is such a controversial subject, perhaps he, as a public figure, shouldn't be so open regarding his personal opinion.  

Everything a royal does is so politicized, it may be difficult to know what the consequences of a simple act will be.

Whatever... :zzzz:
B) YOU ARE RIGTH :unsure:  

Firefly

There is a kind of hunting that I really, really hate- and thats canned hunting. Thats when people pay to hunt big game animals such as panthers, tigers, lions and such on hunting farms. The thing is, most of these animals used to be peoples pets. They were raised by people and see people as caretakers. I saw this horribly disturbing video of a black panther canned hunt. It was in a cage and there were people and dogs all around... the door was opened, it shot out and the dogs were on it right away. IT was trying to defend itself and couldn't, then a guy walked up and shot it. That is not hunting, or sport...that is slaughter. He could have just as well shot it while it was in the cage. He probably had it mounted and tells stories about his hunting prowess, when there was no skill or danger involved. This large cat had been a pet and didn't understand what was going on- he wasn't out surviving in the wild and someone had to use some skill to hunt him- it was a mockery of what real hunting is and should be banned. Overpopulated zoo animals sometimes end up in these places as well.

It makes me want to cry everytime I see that video in my mind. All it is for is some rich guy to be able to brag about his big kill. Its one thing to hunt in a real wildlife situation utilizing skills against an experienced wild animal and quite another when the animal doesn't even have a chance. To that end, I do have to say that fox hunting doesn't really fit my idea of real hunting either, though the hunters do look spiffy in their little outfits and the dogs look so eager and cute!(I have soft spot for beagles- I have a beagle mix!)
Decide. Commit. Succeed.