The Greek Royal Family news, current events and general discussion

Started by Jennifer, August 30, 2015, 11:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

King Constantine has been hospitalized for a stroke.

Queen Sofia and Princess Irene are now in Greece. No word on other family members who live outside of Greece at this point in time.

Nightowl

I really pray that King Constantine gets well and recovers soon. He always seems like such a nice man and happy with his family.

sara8150

Update on King Constantine?s health as family remain at his hospital bedside ? Royal Central
Article says former King Constantine had stroke but he stay hospital for five days but his wife Queen Anne Marie still at his side and also his two sisters Queen Sofia of Spain and Princess Irene of Greece, also made their way to Athens to be with him and also their five children and their grandchildren will be at his side but he missed late Queen Elizabeth?s funeral last September 19,2022 due his health reasons kept prayers for former King Constantine of Greece and his treatment 🙏🏻

Queen Sof?a of Spain & Princess Irene fly to Greece to be at King Constantine?s bedside following critical health concerns ? Royal Central

TLLK

I am glad for him that he was able to return to live his remaining years in his beloved Greece. 🇬🇷

TLLK

The three sons were seen at a meeting today: CP Pavlos, Prince Nikolas and Prince Phillipos.  De f?rste billeder: Pavlos, Nikolaos og Philippos til afg?rende m?de om kong Konstantins begravelse | BILLED-BLADET
Details of the funeral are still being worked on at this point in time.

According to the Danish court, the flag at Amalienbor Palace will be lowered to half mast today. The late King Constantine is married to Queen Anne Marie who was born a Princess of Denmark.

DET DANSKE KONGEHUS ?? on Instagram: "Det er med stor sorg, at Hendes Majest?t Dronningen og den kongelige familie har modtaget meddelelsen om, at

The late King's funeral is to be a private one and very likely he'll be buried at the royal cemetery at Tatoi Palace.

No state funeral for Constantine II, the last King of Greece ? Royal Central

TudorQueen

RIP Constantine II   :cry: Comfort that he was at least at peace and back home in his beloved Greece these last years of his life.

A private funeral is to be expected. Greece is not like countries such as Romania who have given their former royals some unofficial status.

Royals paying homage to him on instagram:

Romania:
Nicolae al Romaniei on Instagram: "Regret trecerea la cele ve?nice a fostului suveran al Greciei, Regele Constantinos al II-lea, v?r primar al Regelui

Romanoff
House of Romanov on Instagram: "Grand Duchess Maria of Russia and her cousin, His Majesty the Late King Constantine II of Greece at the reburial of

Curryong

King Constantine has of course been in bad health for some time. His widow Queen Anne Marie will naturally be devastated. They had such a long marriage. The funeral will be completely private I guess, which will probably be a bonus for the mourners.

sara8150

Gert?s Royals Twitter says

QuoteThe Denmark Royals have announced they are flying the flags at half-mast from Amalienborg today, following the death of Queen Margrethe's brother-in-law, King Constantine of Greece.

QuoteKing Constantine of Greece will get a "Private Funeral" says Greek Government, as opposed to a "State Funeral."

The Funeral will take place in Greece. And Constantine will be buried at the former royal palace north of Athens.

QuoteWhile King Constantine will be buried as a private citizen we do expect Foreign Royal attendance.

Those attending will be family and friends, who wish to attend. There is no obligation or expectation that every monarchy be invited/send a representative.

Quote"With great sadness, TRH Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine [0f Serbia] received the very sad news that their dear cousin, Godfather & friend, HM King Constantine II of Hellenes passed away yesterday [...]"

QuoteKing Constantine of Greece & Prince Philip of UK were 1st cousins, once removed.

Their common ancestor was King George I of Greece. George I was Constantine?s Great-Grandfather & Philip?s Grandfather.

QuoteKing Constantine of Greece?s ?private funeral? will take place on Monday (January 16th) at the Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral of Athens, in Greece.

The time of the funeral has not been announced, nor if there will be any live stream.

Quote?My sincere condolences to the Greek Royal Family for the passing of His Majesty King Constantine II. My prayers and thoughts are with His heir Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece and His esteemed family.?

Crown @princeleka of Albania 🇦🇱

Quote"My wife & I are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of HM King Constantine II. He was a brave man who faced years away from his country. Constantine had put the Hellenic flag in the center of his life [...]"

- Jean, Count of Paris

Quote"I regret the passing to the eternal ones of the former sovereign of Greece, King Constantine II,  first cousin of King Michael I of Romania & grandson of Queen-Mother Elena of Romania.  [...]"

Nicholas Medforth-Mills (Former Prince of Romania)

QuoteKing Constantine II of Greece?s Godchildren:

Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands 🇳🇱

Prince William of UK 🇬🇧

Margareta, Custodian of the Crown of Romania 🇷🇴

Prince Philip & Prince Alexander of Serbia (Twins) 🇷🇸

Plus there are probably some more.

We have wait for confirmed from royal house to attend former King Constantine?s funeral

sara8150

Gert?s Royals Twitter says European royals will attend funeral on January 16,2023

QuoteCrown Prince Haakon & Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway 🇳🇴 confirmed to attend King Constantine of Greece?s funeral on Monday.

QuoteThe Spain Palace has confirmed to Spain media that King Felipe, Queen Letizia, & Queen Sofia will all attend the funeral.

I?ve heard varying reports on King Juan Carlos, but it seems as if he is expected as well.

QuoteKing Carl Gustaf & Queen Silvia of Sweden 🇸🇪 have confirmed they will attend King Constantine of Greece?s funeral on Monday.

QuoteQueen Margrethe,Crown Prince Frederik & Princess Benedikt of Denmark confirmed to attend King Constantine?s funeral.

Crown Princess Mary will act as Regent while Queen Margrethe is away.

Wait for confirmed from Luxembourg royals house,Japan royals household Belgians royals household and Dutch royals household

Curryong

It would be a surprise in one sense if Juan Carlos did turn up I think, but in another, not so much. Glad to see that Queen Leti will be there in support of her husband and mother in law.

I just hope that the Greek royals are doing something with the royal graveyard. The house is an absolute wreck and still needs tons of work. Judging from photos taken a few years ago the whole place just looks very sad. If they could just get the graveyard mowed and weeded and the gravestones whitened it would at least be something, even if the burial is of course very private. 

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on January 12, 2023, 10:18:55 PM
It would be a surprise in one sense if Juan Carlos did turn up I think, but in another, not so much. Glad to see that Queen Leti will be there in support of her husband and mother in law.

I just hope that the Greek royals are doing something with the royal graveyard. The house is an absolute wreck and still needs tons of work. Judging from photos taken a few years ago the whole place just looks very sad. If they could just get the graveyard mowed and weeded and the gravestones whitened it would at least be something, even if the burial is of course very private. 

Yes burial very private for family only same British royal family when Queen Elizabeth died in September 2022 but King Constantine?s burial north of Athens,greece not in capitol of Athens

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 12, 2023, 10:18:55 PM

The grave site is in very poor shape after the wildfires that came through a couple of years ago.  However I did read on another forum that the local people have come in to remove some of the dead trees and vegetation as well as assisting with some of the clean up.

TLLK

The Dutch will be represented by King Willem-Alexandra, Queen Maxima, and Princess Beatrix. I'm glad that many of Constantine and Anne Marie's contemporaries are coming to the funeral.
The Romanians by HM Margareta (Custodian of the Crown) and Prince Radu.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on January 13, 2023, 01:34:29 PM
The grave site is in very poor shape after the wildfires that came through a couple of years ago.  However I did read on another forum that the local people have come in to remove some of the dead trees and vegetation as well as assisting with some of the clean up.

That?s good, and if it comes to it I?m sure the Greek royals wouldn?t mind contributing a bit of money to perhaps get a stonemason in to tend to some of the neglected or smashed headstones. When I saw photos of the house, once a happy family home, on another forum years ago I just gasped. Nobody could live there, but if the royal cemetery is at least made respectable then that will have to do.

sara8150

Gert?s Royals Twitter says

QuoteKing Willem-Alexander, Queen M?xima & Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands 🇳🇱 are confirmed to attend King Constantine?s Funeral on Monday.

QuotePrincess Christina of Sweden 🇸🇪
Princess Elena & Princess Christina of Spain 🇪🇸
Who will be joining Sweden & Spain Royal family members already confirmed.

QuoteGrand Duke Henri of Luxembourg 🇱🇺 & Prince Radu of Romania 🇷🇴 confirmed to attend King Constantine?s funeral on Monday.

But we have wait confirmed from British Royals attend funeral include King Charles,Queen Camilla and Prince William and Princess Catherine but wait till confirmed from Buckingham and Kensington Palace if their busy schedules they send Princess Anne in behalf for King Charles

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 13, 2023, 01:45:15 PM
That?s good, and if it comes to it I?m sure the Greek royals wouldn?t mind contributing a bit of money to perhaps get a stonemason in to tend to some of the neglected or smashed headstones. When I saw photos of the house, once a happy family home, on another forum years ago I just gasped. Nobody could live there, but if the royal cemetery is at least made respectable then that will have to do.

I did read today that some pine trees are being planted near the cemetery today to prepare for Monday's funeral and burial. Hopefully they're going to take root, flourish and help with erosion up on the hillsides.

TLLK

The Greek Royal Family celebrate a religious rite three days after King Constatine's death.
Some information on Greek Orthodox funeral rites.

Cultural spotlight: Greek funeral traditions

It's possible that the family were celebrating this custom.

QuoteRelease of the Spirit

In Greek culture, it is believed that the soul does not leave the body until three days after a person dies. Because of this, the family will visit the grave three days after the death for a small ceremony where a priest blesses a plate of koliva, scatters it to the wind, and then breaks the plate on the tombstone.

???? ???????? ????????????: ??????? ? ?????????? ??? ??? ?? ???????? ??? ?? ??????????? - ????? ??????????? (Photos/text is in Greek.)