Re: Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and Family Discussion

Started by snokitty, February 20, 2015, 08:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amabel2

wannable

4 months at each different place, IOW one place called Balmoral, Scotland, the other place at the isle in south of England.

4 months at B
4 months at I
Per year.

:sarcastic:

wannable

She balked at performing the ceremonial functions expected of the monarch and withdrew to Balmoral and Osborne four* months out of every year, heedless of the inconvenience and strain this imposed on ministers.

Footnote: 4 months at Balmoral (Scotland) + 4 months at Osborne House, Isle of Wight.

Victoria - Widowhood | Britannica

Image google satelite maps of both sites to follow IF there is still confusion.

Curryong

I know the British Isles very well thanks, including England and Scotland. And the facts of Queen Victoria?s life, so I don?t need reference to encyclopaedias.

And the only ?confusion? was due to your referring to Islands within England and Scotland and posting that someone, presumably Victoria, though you didn?t make that clear, spent 4 times 4 months a year in two places, which again you didn?t specify. As I pointed out, four times four is sixteen, which makes no sense in a year which only lasts twelve months.

Yes, Victoria spent about four months at Balmoral every year and four months at Osborne, though not invariably. In her old age there were also long holidays in the South of France. The rest of the time she mostly spent at Windsor. She had never liked BP.

wannable

I was using a mathematical shortcut of 4 x 4 with two different places, the denoted places separated by the slash, and slash per year.

Better not.  :blowkiss:

Amabel2

doesn't make sense as there are only 12 months in a year.

Amabel2

Quote from: wannable on May 15, 2021, 11:12:42 PM
4 months at each different place, IOW one place called Balmoral, Scotland, the other place at the isle in south of England.

4 months at B
4 months at I
Per year.

:sarcastic:
the Isle of Wight IS an island just off the south coast of England.

wannable

Quote from: Amabel2 on May 16, 2021, 07:48:38 PM
doesn't make sense as there are only 12 months in a year.

That is correct, 4 months at Balmoral + 4 months at Isle of Wight = 8 months.

Here's a high technology satelite photograph of the Isle of Wight.

LouisFerdinand

Prince Louis of Battenberg, Marquess of Milford Haven was born on the 35th birthday of Queen Victoria.

PrincessOfPeace

Queen Victoria wrote a letter to King Eyamba and asked him to stop his slave trading.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57156148

Curryong

From Royal Musings by Marlene Koenig, one of my most favourite bloggers. How Queen Victoria (and the Duchess of Cambridge) helped her second cousin Frederica of Hanover flee her Austrian home and marry a commoner, a man she had loved for years, in spite of the opposition of her parents and siblings and other royals.

Victoria?s son, Prince Leopold had wished to marry Frederica but he generously assisted the couple to marry as well. Morganatic marriages were regarded with horror on the Continent of Europe but for Victoria love ruled! Especially if she liked the couple. Morganatic marriages were not a part of British culture, and with Victoria?s help the groom, Baron Alfons von Pawel- Rammingen, was naturalised as a Briton in 1880. 

Royal Musings: Frederica of Hanover: A Passionate & Obstinate Princess (Part 2)

Amabel2

Yes the school that's named after her, is near where I live

Curryong

Queen Victoria did her utmost for this couple and eventually gave Frederica away at her wedding. She was prepared to go the extra mile for Prince Eddy and Helene too, until it was hopeless due to the determination of Helene?s father to disallow her religious conversion and the marriage.

PrincessOfPeace

Canada's 1842 Queen Victoria portrait has been saved from 4 fires. In Montreal from rioting that burned parliament & then a hotel fire, both in 1849. In Quebec City from the 1854 Legislature fire, & lastly from the inferno that destroyed Canada's parliament in 1916.

https://twitter.com/Canadian_Crown/status/1429799352462151685?s=20

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

Because she loved him. Do you mean, why wasn?t it the other way round? She had to do the proposing because she was of higher rank, as a reigning monarch. Albert wasn?t even an heir, just a second son.

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on September 23, 2021, 08:50:39 AM
Queen Victoria, the nagging wife: Prince Albert's revealing letters tell about the 'selfish' Queen | Daily Mail Online

Albert, who was a very cool rational individual, was a great contrast to his wife, who was emotional and fiery. He made a point of listing her faults and reproving her for them, whereas Victoria would probably have enjoyed a noisy quarrel followed by a passionate reunion. That was not Albert?s way. He preferred to communicate by letter during disagreements. Two very different personalities.

Amabel2

He was a cold fish..  but Victoria was pretty awful in her tantrums .  Not sure which I'd prefer

Curryong

Well, of course Victoria adhered to the ethos of their day, that husband and father knew best as much as she could. She must have felt like bursting sometimes. I?m not sure writing ?reasoned? critical memorandums to your spouse when they want to have things out with you is the best way to go! However, most of the time Victoria submitted to Albert?s will and the couple were happy with each other and in their family life.

Amabel2

The more I read about Victoria, I become convinced that she was a little bit crazy at times..  perhaps she  had a naturally very emotional temperament and because of her social position people had to give in to her.  But i've nver liked Albert.  He was a cold fish

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: Amabel2 on September 23, 2021, 03:47:05 PM
The more I read about Victoria, I become convinced that she was a little bit crazy at times..  perhaps she  had a naturally very emotional temperament and because of her social position people had to give in to her.  But i've nver liked Albert.  He was a cold fish
What do you think made Prince Albert a cold fish?

Curryong

I don?t think anything MADE Albert a ?cold fish?. IMO that was his natural temperament from boyhood. Serious-minded, cool, logical. In many ways he resembled the stereotypical German Professor type of the time. However, it?s worth noting that, especially when his children were small it was Albert who romped with them, had them on his back on the nursery floor and played games with them later on, not Victoria. I do think his reactions to women including his wife were as a result of the very louche behaviour of his father and brother though.

LouisFerdinand

At a young age Albert and his brother Ernest no longer had their mother Louise. Might the absence of his mother made Albert slightly bitter?