16 Times Kate Middleton Looked Exactly Like Princess Diana

Started by Limabeany, July 09, 2014, 11:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

That's a fun article.  I think a couple are deliberate tributes (especially the hospital dress, and the Catherine Walker in New Zealand), others are just fun coincidences, and a couple are real stretches.  Green on St. Patrick's Day -- who would have guessed!

Limabeany

I agree, the media has any woman wearing clothes imitating Kate, and Kate in turn imitating Diana...  :happy15: Some are  :wacko: though, like the hospital polka dot dress (of all the prints!) and the red shot. Pepper's outfit...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Lady Adams

I think Kate (and/or Carole) calculates this more than we realize.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Limabeany

I have to agree. There is no way the polka dot dress was coincidence.

Canuck

The polka dot dress clearly wasn't coincidence, but I don't think it was "calculated" either.  I think it was meant to be a little tribute to Diana -- she couldn't be there for the birth of what would have been her first grandchild, but Kate made reference to her in an understated way by echoing the outfit she wore when leaving the hospital with her own first child. 

Lady Adams

^^ But if that's the case, then Kate is actively trying to cultivate a connection to Princess Diana, and to be compared to her. KP has repeatedly stressed they don't want the media to do that, so why should Kate encourage it with wardrobe choices?
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Canuck

I think there's a difference between not wanting the media to spend all its time writing Kate/Diana comparisons, and wanting on one or two special occasions to wear something that makes a reference to Diana.  It's not like she stepped out in an exact replica of a Diana outfit -- she wore polka dots but in a different color dress, size of dot, cut, length, embellishments, etc.

TLLK

I agree that it was a nice gesture to wear the polka dots when leaving the hospital. Most of the photos showed the ladies wearing similar colors as styles, hemlines changed during the decades

PaulaB

How on earth do they make her wedding dress like Diana's there is nothing alike about them.  Apart from that it seems she can't wear any colour that Diana has worn without being accused of copying her and mosques in Malaysia  require visitors to cover their  head as they do in Pakistan. 

Canuck

I had the same reaction to the wedding dress comparison, PaulaB -- those dresses really couldn't be any more different!  :hmm:

Limabeany

Frankly, her wedding dress was a disappointing cone-breasted imitation of Grace Kelly's superbly elegant dress... Diana's was a little princess wrinkled dress... Just too much fabric...

cinrit

Most of the dresses in those photos have nothing in common but the color.  And I'll bet most of us have worn those exact same colors at one time or another.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Curryong

Very 1980's though! Apparently the poor old British silkworms couldn't keep up the demand, and silk for the dress had to be imported! Still, she did have a 25ft wedding veil, and somehow, in the vastness of St Paul's, it all worked.

Limabeany

You are absolutely right. It did work in the church.

In All I Do

Quote from: cinrit on July 10, 2014, 11:54:11 AM
Most of the dresses in those photos have nothing in common but the color.  And I'll bet most of us have worn those exact same colors at one time or another.

Cindy

I've actually seen the claim made that the two "display the new baby" dresses were the Exact.Same.Colour!

Which, colour-blindness, fair. But the same people made the claim that it was basically the same dress. And, frankly, as someone who's been sewing for 30+ years, I can't even.

Limabeany

They were not the same color, but, honestly to think it a coincidence that out of all the fabrics and prints in the world Kate would randomly choose polka dots is fantastical...

In All I Do

Quote from: Limabeany on July 10, 2014, 12:34:21 PM
They were not the same color, but, honestly to think it a coincidence that out of all the fabrics and prints in the world Kate would randomly choose polka dots is fantastical...

Not a claim I made, so sure.....

Limabeany

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: cinrit on July 10, 2014, 11:54:11 AM

Cindy

I thought it was just my eyes Cindy and in some cases the colours aren't a match either. Grasping and straws come to mind.

TLLK

^^^Slow news day in the royal world. June brought a surprise abdication, investiture and a royal birth. July must seem very slow in comparison.

sandy

The designers forgot about Diana sitting in the coach in that dress so they had to take care of the wrinkles in the dress after Diana arrived. It looked fine after that.

PaulaB

Quote from: Curryong on July 10, 2014, 11:58:54 AM
Very 1980's though! Apparently the poor old British silkworms couldn't keep up the demand, and silk for the dress had to be imported! Still, she did have a 25ft wedding veil, and somehow, in the vastness of St Paul's, it all worked.

If you ignore the fact it was too big for the carriage and was extremely badly creased it looked terrible every little girls idea of a wedding dress not a womans.   

Canuck

Diana's wedding dress was iconic, but definitely not my taste.  I think it suffered from the decade it was in -- the 80s were not a good time for clothing, and you can tell from a mile away what time period that dress was from. 

I will say, though, that my mother has told me stories of staying up all night to watch the Charles/Diana wedding with her friends, and how gorgeous and princessey they thought her dress was.  For the time she was in, that dress kind of hit the mark.

SophieChloe

Quote from: Limabeany on July 10, 2014, 12:34:21 PM
Of course...I agree 100%.

Now if only she could start to copy Diana's work ethic!
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me