King of Spain to abdicate in favour of Prince Felipe

Started by Ladybee, June 02, 2014, 08:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladybee

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy announced on TV the King of Spain will abdicate.

BBC News - King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates

Vídeo: 10:30 - Declaración de Mariano Rajoy | Vídeos | EL PAÍS

Inge Jones

It doesn't say much yet... I wonder would this be due to age/retirement or some other issue?

Windsor

The King has been suffering from several health issues - and also the fact that he has become rather unpopular due to all the recent scandals...

Limabeany

BREAKING NEWS: King Juan Carlos of Spain to abdicate and hand crown to son Felipe | Mail Online

'His majesty, King Juan Carlos, has just communicated to me his will to give up the throne - I'm convinced this is the best moment for change,' Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said in a surprise announcement.

The 76-year-old oversaw his country's transition from dictatorship to democracy but has had repeated health problems in recent years and seen his popularity nosedive in the face of a string of corruption scandals and gaffes.

His popularity also dipped following royal scandals, including an elephant-shooting trip he took in the middle of Spain's financial crisis that tarnished the monarch's image.

The king came to power in 1975, two days after the death of longtime dictator Francisco Franco.

He is the second European monarch to abdicate in just over a year. In April last year, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands handed the throne to her son Prince Willem-Alexander after 33 years.
It's about time!  :wellduh:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Inge Jones

A few more like this and it might start to be acceptable in the UK without fear of a huge scandal erupting.

Curryong

It won't mean anything as far as Queen Elizabeth is concerned, though. She'll just keep soldiering on!

Mike

Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

TLLK

IMHO this is the wisest decision to come from Zarzuela in a long time!!! Juan Carlos has to be credited for his role in transitioning his nation from a dictatorship to a democracy. He was an effective statesman for many years and prepared his heir very well IMHO. However it is time for a transition in Spain. Good luck to the future King Felipe, Queen Letizia and their daughters.

Limabeany

I am so looking forward to King Felipe. I love seeing Queen Mathilda and Queen Maxima.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Windsor

Queen Maxima has been a total success! Best of luck to the future Queen Letizia.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TLLK

IMO Queen Sofia will continue to stay with her foundations and will enjoy her more relaxed role as doting grandmother. Her ultimate goal of seeing Felipe ascend to the throne has been achieved.  She will not repeat her mother's mistakes. JC will be less involved I believe to allow Felipe to take on his role without his father looming over his shoulder. I see Elena staying on in her current role to aid the SRF.

Cristina will stay sidelined.

cinrit

From Twitter:

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor  3h
#KingJuanCarlos said his only ambition was to "contribute to the welfare and freedom of Spanish People." #abdication

#KingJuanCarlos says he made the decision to abdicate with "great emotion"

#KingJuanCarlos said he decided to abdicate when he turned 76.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sara8150

Gallery: King Juan Carlos of Spain's top moments
Gallery: King Juan Carlos of Spain's top moments - hellomagazine.com

Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia of Spain's wedding: relive the day in pictures
Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia's wedding - hellomagazine.com

Double post auto-merged: June 02, 2014, 04:50:48 PM

Spain's king, Juan Carlos, to abdicate so son, Crown Prince Felipe, can succeed him
Spain's king, Juan Carlos, to abdicate so son, Crown Prince Felipe, can succeed him - CBS News

Macrobug

A man in his mid 70's should be retiring and handing over the reins to the next generation.  Sit back, put his feet up and eat some tapas.  Sip vino. (Queen E....are you taking notice?)
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

I believe that most of Europe's commoner spouses rode public transportation at some point in their lives when going to work. The only exception might be Camilla.

Blue Clover

This is big news! The right decision at the right time. I wish the SRF all the best with the transition and change!  :happy15:

sara8150

Jennifer

Quote from: Windsor on June 02, 2014, 03:50:37 PM
Queen Maxima has been a total success! Best of luck to the future Queen Letizia.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree! Queen Maxima has done a wonderful job as Queen so far. I am sure Letizia will do great too. ;)  I wish them all the best.

Quote2 June 2014 Last updated at 15:04 ET

King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates

King Juan Carlos said his son Prince Felipe would "open a new era of hope"

King Juan Carlos of Spain has announced his intention to abdicate, after nearly 40 years on the throne.

"A new generation must be at the forefront... younger people with new energies," the 76-year-old king said in a televised address.

His son, Crown Prince Felipe, 45, will take over the throne.

Read more:
BBC News - King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Blue Clover

I keep coming back to this! Of all the recent abdications, this is one of the most interesting and timely IMO!

Felicia

I wonder what the Queen would do if all the Scandanavian monarchs follow suit-  given that the Pope went as well it would start to make her look a bit odd

TLLK

King Harald had some health issues about 8 years ago in which Haakkon acted as a temporary regent. AFAIK Margrethe and Carl Gustav are in good health.

sara8150

Princess Leonor of Spain becomes Europe's youngest heiress after abdication
The Spanish King's granddaughter Infanta Leonor becomes the youngest heiress to a European throne - hellomagazine.com

Double post auto-merged: June 03, 2014, 06:21:33 PM

Spanish politicians set out abdication timetable
BBC News - Spanish politicians set out abdication timetable