Duchess of Cambridge' tour wardrobe / fashion / style ,.etc

Started by Princessinwaiting, April 06, 2014, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HereditaryPrincess

QuoteA small independent jewellery shop in Wellington has found itself supplying jewellery by royal appointment after the Duchess of Cambridge bought earrings and a necklace to wear on her tour of New Zealand.
Tory & Ko, which has only been open for five years, was asked to send three pairs of earrings and a necklace to Kensington Palace after the Duchess picked them out from its website.
The Duchess has not yet worn the items but the owners of the shop are keeping their fingers crossed that they will appear at some point during the 10-day visit.

Royal tour: Duchess of Cambridge buys earrings from small New Zealand jeweller - Telegraph

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteShe is yet to adorn jewels by the little known New Zealand label, yet the buzz surrounding the Duchess of Cambridge's choice of bling has sent Tory & Ko's online store into a spin.

Designers Victoria Taylor and Kirstin O'Brien are waiting with bated breath for the Duchess to wear pieces from their collections during her three-week royal tour.

Kate, 32, purchased almost $7000 worth of jewellery from the duo ahead of the trip.
More: The Duchess of Cambridge to dazzle in $7k worth Tony & Ko jewels | Mail Online

Lady Adams

I find it a bit strange that Kate bought two pairs of the same earrings-- just with different stones. I wonder if we'll see her wear them twice!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Princessinwaiting

In Māori culture red is the highest status colour and signifies prestige and authority. "Many Māori appreciated the red dress that Kate Middleton wore: this colour represents mana [high status] in Te Ao Māori [the Māori world]. Traditionally, high-status individuals would wrap themselves in red ochre for an event like this.

Duchess of Cambridge and the meaning of the Maori warrior's tattoo | World news | theguardian.com

Lady Adams

^^Thanks for sharing that-- I like that Kate & her staff were that thoughtful and intentional about the color of her dress.

I saw this article and thought: 1) Qantas first class sounds aweseome-- sheepskin mattresses!? and 2) I will take a mid-flight makeover too, please  ;)

Where most of us would look distinctly frazzled after almost 28 hours on a plane, the Duchess of Cambridge looked a million dollars as she arrived in New Zealand today.

But then most people don't have a team of helpers, including their own personal hairdresser, on hand to give them a mid-air makeover before they touch down.

The Duchess, who also had the advantage of a bed in a luxurious first-class cabin on the flight from London, had a team of helpers to make sure she looked refreshed and glamorous for her first visit to New Zealand.

Most importantly of all, the Duchess was also accompanied by Prince George's nanny, Maria Borrallo, who would have been able to settle the eight-month-old and allow his mother to get some precious sleep if he started grizzling during the flight.

Qantas has won awards for the level of luxury offered in its first class cabins. Passengers have an extra-wide seat that folds into a flat bed, with a duvet and sheepskin mattress, and are given 100 per cent cotton pyjamas and slippers A la carte meals are prepared freshly on board, and a complimentary leather wash bag includes skincare, toiletries, ear plugs and a leather-bound mirror.

Royal tour: The Duchess of Cambridge and the mid-air makeover - Telegraph
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Rebound

Nice! Beats the heck out of the middle seat in coach on American! Amenities? Free cup of water. You want to sleep? Good luck with that little kid kicking the back of your seat. Sorry--I fly a lot. Coach, of course.

Way off topic: I flew next to a Wiccan once. She kept reading my People magazine. I gave it to her--not much of a risk--taker. :)

Lady Adams

Limabeany

Quote from: Rebound on April 09, 2014, 12:01:42 AM
Nice! Beats the heck out of the middle seat in coach on American! Amenities? Free cup of water. You want to sleep? Good luck with that little kid kicking the back of your seat. Sorry--I fly a lot. Coach, of course.

Way off topic: I flew next to a Wiccan once. She kept reading my People magazine. I gave it to her--not much of a risk--taker. :)
Next time you keep your mag then go on ebay and buy a spell to undo Wiccan evil eye...  :teehee: Fight back!  :catfight:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Lothwen

I would have liked the coat she wore getting off the plane if it didn't have all those buttons.  The buttons made it look too costume-y for me, and completely took away from the brooch she was wearing.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Lady Adams

^^ I agree, Lowthen.

I often find Kate's clothes veer into "outfit" territory, based on 1) a theme (ie garden visiting, sports, holiday, school, or military) or 2) based on another well-known woman (Diana, Jackie, or Grace Kelly).

Lady Adams

I gotta admit: I don't understand why Kate didn't wear her hair back today around all these babies! One of them is bound to pull or put it in their mouths.

Lothwen

^It looks like George did just that.

I like the dress, but not for a play date with babies. 
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Lady Adams

^^ LOL, I just found the pic of George pulling on it. Thank goodness it was her own baby!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkwLWWmCYAA011x.jpg:large

I was mostly surprised that the dress is by Tory Burch, an American.

PaulaB

Quote from: Eri on April 08, 2014, 02:13:31 PM
So I see she showed the World her private parts AGAIN , the Republican movement in New Zealand has gained momentum and there were practically no people waiting for them what a mess ... but glad to see the PR prop baby doesn't work in THE REAL WORLD ...

Friendly reminder that we have a thread to discuss Kate's tour wardrobe/style here, and one to discuss the tour and Republican perspective here.  :flower: Let's keep this thread about Prince George and the tour.  :hug:

Her skirt went up a little hardly showing her private parts.  I watched that video EVERYONE had their clothes blown about the woman in cream was holding her skirt down with one hand and her hat in another.

Pamela

The still photos give a very different impression of what actually happened (as seen on the video) in real time. There was one photo that showed her thighs, but on the video, it happens so quickly, you can hardly catch a glimpse of it. Watching the video made me realize how blustery it was and how difficult it was for everyone to cross from the plane to the interior. I'm glad no one actually tumbled down those stairs!

Limabeany

1  It has happened too many times, she should have known better at this point, she is in her 30s and not a toddler.

2  Wearing those high heels to go down plane stairs when she knew she was going to be carrying the baby as well was thoughtless and stupid, this is not her first time traveling, those stairs are uncomfortable and if she weren´t so self absorbed she would have realized that was not a safe idea.

3  While wearing those heels, carrying the baby when she realized a) her hair was flying and blocking her view b) her skirt was flying and required her assistance to prevent her from showing her underwear c) she couldn't hold on to the rail she was constantly trying to hold on to because of all of the above she should have asked William for help instead of continuing to wing it down. That was reckless and irresponsible...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Pamela

It's certainly not something I'd try--too many opportunities for failure or injury. I found myself holding my breath as I watched the video, even though I knew beforehand that she didn't fall. I wonder why William didn't carry George down?

I'd have thought the longer length, heavier material and the double layer (dress & coat) wouldn't have presented a problem, but apparently a gust of wind will balloon any fabric. It would be wiser to wear a more fitted dress and eliminate the possibility. And she looks very nice in fitted dresses/skirts.

cinrit

1) We saw about four inches above her knees. :shrug:

2) She obviously feels comfortable in heels.  Some women (including me) can run, dance, jump, and fly up/down stairs in them.  If Kate had felt uncomfortable in them, I hardly think she would have put her baby in danger.

3) She knows her capabilities and inabilities better than we do, and apparently she was right.  Her underwear was never in danger of being shown, since her skirt didn't fly up that high.  She didn't slip down the stairs, and she didn't drop her baby.  All is well, just as she certainly knew it would be.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

I disagree  :paparazzi:
1 - You saw nearly up to her crotch but the flying dress cast shadow on it...

2 - It was dangerous however self absorbed or arrogant she may be.

3 - She knew nothing evidenced by the fact that her "free" hand had to fly from the rail to the skirt numerous times and that her hair covered her face coming down airport steps which are nothing like normal steps. She was lucky.

Princessinwaiting

Quote from: Rebound on April 09, 2014, 12:01:42 AM

How do you know she was a wiccan (witch) right?

Double post auto-merged: April 09, 2014, 04:05:31 PM

Quote from: Limabeany on April 09, 2014, 02:34:57 PM

3 - She knew nothing evidenced by the fact that her "free" hand had to fly from the rail to the skirt numerous times and that her hair covered her face coming down airport steps which are nothing like normal steps. She was lucky.

No there wasn't any picture with her skirt so high that she was so exposed it just flew up a little .
I wear skirts and if it's windy it does fly , it's just normal people who get pissed at her for allowing this to happen probably don't wear skirts too often or aren't women . She would have to have 2 kg weight s for the skirt to stay down with how windy it was .

Limabeany

It is not rocket science, on windy tarmacs wear pants or pencil skirts since you have shown your butt a few times already. It doesn't require Marilyn Middleton to be a genius or a weight lifter, it just requires her to show a little class...

SophieChloe

I agree.  I can only assume she is a proper little showoff.  Fine, wear a billowing coat/dress, tarts trotter heels -   but for heavens sake give your young son to his father to carry down the deep, wet and windy steps, whilst she concentrates on her hair, dress, wind and steps.   

She is making sure that baby is all Middleton....IMO.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

cinrit

There were other women wearing skirts on the tarmac.  Their skirts flew up, too.  Skirts fly up all the time.  In fact, it was only about six weeks ago when I saw another Royal's skirt fly up... big picture in the Daily Mail.  Not one word was said about it.  But Kate..... different story.

Quote from: Limabeany on April 09, 2014, 02:34:57 PM

1) Nearly up to her crotch is not showing her crotch.  Her skirt flew up about four inches. 

2) Comfortable equals self-absorbed or arrogant?

3) She must've known something, since there was no catastrophe.  She didn't slip, and she didn't drop  the baby.

She mu
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

I thought we were not "comparing," Cindy?  Unless, it suits the argument, of course.     Kate was the only one on show, getting off the plane and on the tarmac, no-one cares about the others. .. :shrug:

The minute she stepped off that plane, her fringe flew across her face, she wobbled and quite frankly look a mess - whilst holding a baby.  Not good!

She had one chance of a "royal arrival" picture, and IMO, she blew it

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me