Laurent of Belgium has been hospitalized

Started by HereditaryPrincess, March 21, 2014, 03:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HereditaryPrincess

Blue Clover

Lady Adams

I hope he gets better soon! Though, I do wonder why he's ill (usually when celebs say they're hospitalized for exhaustion... it's something else.  :shrug:)
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

HereditaryPrincess

I've read elsewhere that Princess Claire visited Prince Laurent in hospital the other day, although she didn't answer the reporter's questions, so we have no updates on Laurent's illness. Apparently, Prince Laurent was hospitalized for the same reason in the 90's.

Lady Adams

According to Twitter:

@MajestyMagazine: Prince Laurent of Belgium, suffering from pneumonia, is in an induced coma, the #Royal Palace confirms: http://t.co/YDc9uVVmo2

An induced coma? Yikes!!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

TLLK

cinrit

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

marine2109

HereditaryPrincess

^^^ That's promising news. Hopefully he'll get well soon. :) I've had pneumoia before, although I was a young child at the time so don't really remember it, although I've heard that I caught it as I didn't have the injection, that I was breathing very quickly and that I had a lot of needles in my hands and feet.

I've heard that Albert and Paola still haven't visited their son in hospital... as they're on holiday... :notamused: Apparently they don't share a very good relationship with their son, although I still think that this is very poor form.

marine2109

QuoteKing Philippe arrives at the 'Cliniques universitaires Saint-Luc' hospital for a visit to his brother

face to face

cinrit

QuoteHospitalised Prince Laurent of Belgium 'Improving' Says Mother

The condition of Prince Laurent of Belgium, the wayward younger brother of King Philippe who has been in a medically induced coma since mid-March, is improving, his mother said Thursday.

The 50-year-old prince, 11th in line to the throne, was rushed to hospital on March 18 suffering from pneumonia and, according to Belgian press reports, a serious bout of depression.

Calling Laurent her "most vulnerable" child, Queen Paola said in a statement he was no longer in a coma and that she offered him "all her affection".

More: Hospitalised Prince Laurent of Belgium 'improving' says mother < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

QuoteQueen Paola's "Bizarre" Letter Causes a Stir at the Royal Palace

Queen Paola, the wife of King Albert, sent her youngest son, Laurent, a message of comfort on Wednesday. "Of my 3 children, Laurent is the most vulnerable at this moment", a press release said. The message is regarded by many as bizarre and rather clumsy and triggered numerous reactions. A number of royalty watchers react with surprise, while King Filip is said to feel offended. Apparently, Paola did not have the green light from the palace to send the message. The style and content of the letter are in stark contrast with previous messages sent by the palace.

For many, the open letter came as a surprise yesterday. Prince Laurent has been in hospital since 21 March, as he is suffering from pneumonia. Although his condition was never life-threatening, he was brought in an artificial coma to guarantee the best treatment. All this time, his parents Albert and Paola were abroad. They didn't interrupt their holiday, only to come and see him after 14 days.

More: Queen Paola's "bizarre" letter causes a stir at the royal palace

Cindy

Lady Adams

Huh. That letter sure is bizarre. I wonder what's actually going on.

Blue Clover

It sounds like there are family tensions. I have heard many rumours about how dysfunctional Laurent's childhood has been due to his parents extremely troubled marriage. It is not easy to recover from or heal wounds of that type. I wish him well in his recovery.

HereditaryPrincess

^^^ Yes, I've heard that Albert and Paola have never really welcomed Laurent into the family, and that he's always at the side, if you know what I mean. I don't really know the full story of why they exclude Laurent, he is their son too...  :hmm: I guess this is why they haven't visited him in hospital. Having said that, I can imagine that Philippe and Laurent have a better relationship, since he was offended by Paola's letter and visited his brother in hospital. I don't know this for sure though.

Lady Adams

Wow. All these weird things I had no idea about...

HereditaryPrincess

^^^ Ah - does that mean that Paola has visited Laurent? If so, then at last! :nod: :notamused:

HereditaryPrincess

^^^ That's good to know! Hopefully he'll make a full recovery soon.

cinrit

QuoteKing of Belgium's Younger Brother 'Tried to Kill Himself During Bout of Depression That Was Covered Up as PNEUMONIA'

The King of Belgium's younger brother tried to kill himself during a bout of depression last month, it was claimed yesterday.  Reports in Belgium said Prince Laurent's suicide attempt had been covered up by the royal family as an attack of pneumonia.

The La Capitale newspaper referred to 'persistent rumours' that the 50-year-old prince was on March 21 rushed first to see a psychiatrist in a Brussels hospital before being moved to intensive care, where he was placed in an artificial coma. He was discharged this week.

Publications in Flanders, the Dutch-speaking northern half of the country where the royal family is not popular, say Laurent suffers from a form of depression, possibly manic depression.

Yesterday the royal household continued to deny the story.

More: King of Belgium's brother Prince Laurent 'tried to kill himself' | Mail Online

Cindy

Lady Adams

Princess Claire tweeted this:
@ClaireLCoombs
Our sincere thanks to ALL the staff of St Luc's Hospital for their competence, kindness and their devoted support.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bk4huq_CcAA39Fd.jpg

Unfortunately, it seems the rumors of self-harm are correct, but I am very glad that Laurent is doing better and, according to this picture, smiling with his family.

marine2109

QuoteThis handout picture, distributed on Thursday 10 April 2014 shows Princess Claire, Prince Laurent and their children Princess Louise, Prince Aymeric and Prince Nicolas posing for a family picture. Prince Laurent is back home after being admitted to the hospital, he was suffering from a serious pneumonia.

ROYALIMAGES | ANP Foto

HereditaryPrincess

Quote from: Lady Adams on April 10, 2014, 10:22:35 PM
Princess Claire tweeted this:
@ClaireLCoombs
Our sincere thanks to ALL the staff of St Luc's Hospital for their competence, kindness and their devoted support.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bk4huq_CcAA39Fd.jpg

Unfortunately, it seems the rumors of self-harm are correct, but I am very glad that Laurent is doing better and, according to this picture, smiling with his family.

That's very unfortunate and I hope things work out well for Laurent in the end. :( Maybe this will make Albert and Paola include him in the family a bit more. Claire's photo is delightful, it looks like she and the children are very pleased to have him at home again.