William: BAFTA President

Started by cinrit, November 04, 2013, 01:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

All the gowns are expensive so even if she wears one twice, that gown could have cost a small fortune. The only royal that I think genuinely recycles is Princess Anne.

TLLK

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on January 30, 2020, 03:46:59 PM
Well, she certainly has several dresses from which to make her selection! I didn't particularly like the print dress from last year or the year before, so I am hoping she doesn't choose that one. Maybe she will wear one from several years ago! Wouldn't it be great to see her in a vintage gown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????
I would love to see her in a great vintage gown! She's tall enough to wear one of her late mother-in-law's gowns so that would be a fantastic recycle. However I don't know if one is available.  :(

sandy

She does not do well in vintage, like the outfit she wore to Pippa's wedding. I hope she does not wear one of Diana's dresses. That would be bordering on creepy IMO.

TLLK

@sandy-Just to clarify, when  I was referring to vintage I meant that she'd be wearing a previously worn gown. The attendees are requested to re-wear a previously worn outfit.  What she wore to the wedding was a new one that is based on an older design.

wannable

And if she wears a Princess Diana dress? what is the issue? My point is everyone has one way or another 'received' vintage from Family members.

Purpose of the Bafta theme is ecological, re wearing or recycling is the target to set awareness in the clothing industry, they are one of the top 10 in waste. High or fast fashion.

sandy

Traditionally the royals don't wear outfits of deceased members of the family. The vintage outfits are stored and put out on historical exhibits for people to see. Nobody "rewore" HM's wedding gown for example.

I think it would garner even Kate criticism if she did this. I think it would be tacky.

There are a lot of gowns in Kate's closet she does not have to wear her mother in law's old clothes.

wannable

Yes they do, baptisms outfit.

IMO IF she wears one of Princess Diana's dress, this will be worldwide front page, and she will be praised to the high heavens by fashion industry and basically all the eco warriors.

sandy

Not even that. A new one had to be made because the other one wore out. Plus aren't we talking about women's fashions not baby outfits? Apples and oranges.

Diana never dug out Princess Mary's old clothes or even Princess Margaret's. Why would Kate?

wannable

Just because others didn't do it, doesn't means Kate has to follow, it's not a rule.

Remember the defense of Meghan 'breaking rules'.

sandy

I can only imagine the outrage if Meghan wanted to wear one of Diana's gowns.

I think William and Harry would both put their foot down. It seems rather ghoulish to me. Kate I think would get criticized.

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on January 31, 2020, 01:51:10 PM
And if she wears a Princess Diana dress? what is the issue? My point is everyone has one way or another 'received' vintage from Family members.

Purpose of the Bafta theme is ecological, re wearing or recycling is the target to set awareness in the clothing industry, they are one of the top 10 in waste. High or fast fashion.
Yes this is the theme for the ceremony this year. IMHO it's about time that attendees should be encouraged to re-wear one of  their previously worn outfits or something vintage from a consignment store.

wannable

A super A list male star went today to H&M drop box at Kensington with a large bag of old clothes.  The old clothes go to a charity the outlet is supporting.

TLLK

Quote@sandy-Diana never dug out Princess Mary's old clothes or even Princess Margaret's. Why would Kate?

I'm guessing that there was at the least an nine inch difference in height between the late  Princess Margaret (5'1") and the late Diana, Princess of Wales (5'10") so they'd probably not swap clothing.  :D

Among the European royal families there has been a fair amount of recycling/rewearing between the female family members in the royal families of Sweden, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, and the Netherlands so it's no unheard of.

However since most of Diana's evening wear is either in the hands of private collectors, her family or the royal collections it's unlikely that we'll see Catherine wearing one of her glamorous gowns.  :Jen:

QueenAlex

Quote from: TLLK on January 31, 2020, 07:01:28 PM
I'm guessing that there was at the least an nine inch difference in height between the late  Princess Margaret (5'1") and the late Diana, Princess of Wales (5'10") so they'd probably not swap clothing.  :D

Among the European royal families there has been a fair amount of recycling/rewearing between the female family members in the royal families of Sweden, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, and the Netherlands so it's no unheard of.

However since most of Diana's evening wear is either in the hands of private collectors, her family or the royal collections it's unlikely that we'll see Catherine wearing one of her glamorous gowns.  :Jen:
Fergie was seen wearing some thngs that Diana had worn..though I am not sure if that was before Fergi'es marriage.

TLLK

Quote from: QueenAlex on January 31, 2020, 07:06:02 PM
  Fergie was seen wearing some thngs that Diana had worn..though I am not sure if that was before Fergi'es marriage.
Yes I recall that Diana loaned her a black and white coat to wear to an event. It was around the time that Andrew and Sarah began dating. I'll see if I can find a photo.

Here it is the Princess of Wales, Prince Andrew, Prince William and Sarah Ferguson on HMS Brazen.

sarah and diana visit hms brazen - Google Search

Also during her lifetime, Diana loaned her sisters some of her outfits especially if they were acting as her Lady in Waiting at an event.

Here's another article with good photos of Diana and the ladies that she lent her clothing to over the years.

Princess Diana shared her iconic dresses with Sarah Ferguson and her sisters - see pictures! | HELLO!

wannable

BAFTA President Prince William has raised concerns about the lack of diversity at tomorrow?s awards.
He intends to use his speech on the night to bemoan the absence of Black, Asian, and minority ethnic talent in the top four acting categories.
Critics have also slammed  Bafta for its all-male  Best Director nominees.
Sources say William has made his feelings clear to chief executive Amanda Berry.
The unprecedented move has heaped pressure on Bafta ahead of the star-studded ceremony this weekend, which Wills has agreed to attend with wife Kate for the fourth year in a row.
One said: ?He supports Bafta but is concerned and disappointed.

?He recognises there is so much talent in the industry, so for all the nominations to be white again isn?t good enough.
?It?s not about one year in isolation. It?s about the fact we?re having this conversation every year. Something is systemically wrong here.?
Execs are braced for his speech. Amanda is panicked. There are shockwaves.?
BAFTAs BEING 'BRANDED RACIST'
Black British star Cynthia Erivo was overlooked despite an Oscar nod for Harriet.

She refused an invitation to perform at the ceremony on Sunday, saying: ?I think that it?s important to make it known that it?s not something that you just throw in as a party trick, you know??
Former winner Steve McQueen ? the director of 12 Years a Slave ? went public to say Bafta risks irrelevance unless it adds diversity to its nominations.
He said: ?After a while you get a bit fed up with it. Because if the Baftas are not supporting British talent, if you?re not supporting the people who are making headway in the industry, then I don?t understand what you are there for.?
A source said: ?Bafta loves to talk the talk when it comes to issues like diversity but the nominations have exposed them to the entire world.
?If they?re not careful someone like Prince William won?t want to keep his official connection to an organisation being so publicly branded as racist.?
Nominations and winners are picked by the organisation?s 6,500 members.
Bafta has been attempting to limit the PR fallout, with Berry describing the nominations as ?frustrating and deeply disappointing?, and pledging to undertake another review of the way the votes are undertaken.
Prince William is furious with all-white Bafta nominations and intends to mention controversy in his speech ? The Sun

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on January 31, 2020, 07:46:26 PM
Yes I recall that Diana loaned her a black and white coat to wear to an event. It was around the time that Andrew and Sarah began dating. I'll see if I can find a photo.

Here it is the Princess of Wales, Prince Andrew, Prince William and Sarah Ferguson on HMS Brazen.

sarah and diana visit hms brazen - Google Search

Also during her lifetime, Diana loaned her sisters some of her outfits especially if they were acting as her Lady in Waiting at an event.

Here's another article with good photos of Diana and the ladies that she lent her clothing to over the years.

Princess Diana shared her iconic dresses with Sarah Ferguson and her sisters - see pictures! | HELLO!

totally different. Diana was very much alive then and they did occasionally do this. Now Diana is dead and I think it would be  ghoulish for Kate to parade around in Diana's outfits.

Fergie and Diana had different styles to say the least.

Double post auto-merged: January 31, 2020, 11:32:06 PM

Quote from: TLLK on January 31, 2020, 07:01:28 PM

Well DIana could have borrowed Margaret's hats and shoes. Queen Mary was tall and maybe her gowns would have fit her better.

TLLK

@sandy-I agree about the hats, however at 5'1" Princess Margaret likely didn't wear the same shoe size as a much taller Diana who was 5'10".

Blue Clover

I am sure Kate will wear something wonderful.  :thumbsup:

FanDianaFancy

Kate always looks glam, good, modern for this. A modern, glam gown.

QueenAlex

She looks attractive but rarely anyting special.  However she usually looks neat and does not wear things that jar the eye.

Princess Cassandra

In my opinion she can look very glam and appropriate for those of us who embrace the "less is more" philosophy.   The year she wore the print gown to this event was an exception - I didn't care for that dress at all.  She knows what looks good on her and isn't very avante guard, but that's fine - that was what Queen Mary was like, also. The style in her day was for highly decorated gowns and she continued to wear them, along with the long day dresses that were her trademark. (Her husband didn't want her ankles to show!). I'm sure Kate will be criticized for not steering far from her comfort zone. But I for one usually love her look.

sandy

Then maybe he should just stay home with Kate.

wannable

His speech allegedly will have strong words about the BAFTA.  I think the crowd will really like it if what is said is true, I wouldn't be surprised of a standing ovation.