Kensington Palace, servants and all related articles

Started by wannable, June 04, 2011, 11:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Dee

I think they are trying hard to be modern and independent, and at the same time keep the Monarchy alive. Their public life will, no doubt, require staff members. Without assistants, they cannot handle all their duties alone, that's a given.
But I have to admit, the article from the mirror was very well written. Especially this part-
QuoteIn an age when everyone can express their opinion on everything to a worldwide online audience, we don't have the faintest idea what their values are. What are their political views? What music do they like? What did they think of the Britain's Got Talent final? We just don't know. Their facelessness is not only unsatisfying, but jarring in a world where individuality is so prized.
And that is so true. I am surprised(very!) that PW & PW still don't have their own twitter. KM should work on getting one too. The power of technology is unbelievable. They don't need to tweet pictures of themselves in PJ's, but they definitely need to take a leaf out of Queen Rania's book and start using the internet. Having everything as an official statement from Clarence House doens't really help their individuality.

ChiPrincess :goodpost: , wonderfully worded post. You echo my sentiments. Welcome to the forum, I look forward to more posts from you.  :nod:

FanDianaFancy

KP,a set of apts. A building of apts. there,fine for London stays. Yeah,  all  of the London royal things, but  the  party , fun  times too.
Country house of their own,...hmmm,howaboutthe Duke  and Duchess of  Pork,I mean York's old  home that is a grand, expensive place that  has fallen into ruin.

anitalalala

Quote from: XeniaCasaraghi on June 09, 2011, 01:00:05 AM
Yeah, they definitely said one thing and did another; except the fact that they are still living in Anglesey where William works. But don't let logic get in the way of your argument.

And then while theyre in the countryside people will be bacj on tracks and said that the best for them is actually...tchan..tchan..tchan...
stay in the countryside...
and then if tomorrow they decide to change to the palace..iwhats gonna be the best option again????
exactlly...
Thats what im saying...and no for me i dont care where they live..country side, city, london, madri whatever i dont care...
anywhere seem nice actually...im just using such examples to try to show how people change theyre views so quicklly just to follow the couples and keep up defending everyhting they do....

even if yeaterday it was consider a bad thing and today conside a good thing..and tomorrow bad thing again..coz the couple chnages theyre minds...and so does everyone else...jiust keeping up with the duke and duchess of cambridge....

Just though it would eb good to try to have some sense of humor...i wasnt being directed to anyone in particular...just really making jokes coz to me its all very funny..

for me the closest to the media te best!!!!
The more we see the the best right???

I vote for kensignton  :yesss:

as for modernize the monarchy i think they will just live like people from theyre generation wich is obviouslly not lie theyre father and grandmater generations...and obviouslly some of theyre actions will be seen diferent by the media and the public as well...
But honestlly i dont see THAT HUGE diference..i hink actually they will be diferent in some stuff coz of theyre ages and etc...but mostlly it will all be the same and especially about enjoyig the benefits of being royals... have the feeling as someone said they will use it even more than the older royals....

They will need some help anyway its ovious..but yeah again its the same crap...
Its all about marketing...they would love to be the new face and generation of the RF...but until the queen dies and his father dies...they will have to live according to theyre rules..and by that time they will be so ...used to the life that i believe seriouslly they wont change a thing...until there...maybe about 3% i bet!!!!!
And the sme way they got used to lo live like theyre parents...theyre childrens will get used to live like then..and thats wh the monarchy its like this until these days...its calles traditions....
they hardly dies...otherwise the monarchy wouldnt exists anymore....

they may be as modern as they want but still theyre no silly to send the help of housekeepers...and etc..etc..etc...they need it..they can afford it and they gonna used it until they get so used to it that its gonna be a part of theyre dailly life....simple as that...
the same old monarchy nothing new about it...
Ok maybe 3%
:thumbsup:

:laugh10: :laugh10: :laugh10: :laugh10: :laugh10:

BritishRoyals

Quote from: XeniaCasaraghi on June 09, 2011, 01:00:05 AM
Yeah, they definitely said one thing and did another; except the fact that they are still living in Anglesey where William works.

Not entirely true.   William & Kate NEVER said anything personally.  Neither did the palace.  It was reported in the tabloids and the rest of the world got carried away.  The original article said they would not have servants in their modest 4-bedroom farmhouse in Wales.  That remains to be true.  No one ever mentioned their London base, or the fact that they would move into Kensington Palace.  From interviews of royal correspondents, it was clearly implied that they would definitely have household staff to run estates and palaces in the long run.  There's just no way around it.  But the media ran away with the shock of royals not having "servants" that many fail to mention that they were referring to Anglesey, where they live a normal life and don't appear in public.  And seriously, it's silly for people to think any royal could get by doing official functions and touring countries without a skeleton household staff.  Hiring a housekeeper-dresser is a good start, IMO.  No surprises here.  They will definitely need the help.

CanRoyal

^ Yes, I agree. 

They have let it be known that they are quite determined to have as little help as possible and they seem to be following through.

So far, they think they can get by with one housekeeper/dresser in 2 housing situations and that seems to be very reasonable.   

Orchid

Quote from: Sandra Dee on June 09, 2011, 03:27:57 AM
... But I have to admit, the article from the mirror was very well written. Especially this part-
QuoteIn an age when everyone can express their opinion on everything to a worldwide online audience, we don't have the faintest idea what their values are. What are their political views? What music do they like? What did they think of the Britain's Got Talent final? We just don't know. Their facelessness is not only unsatisfying, but jarring in a world where individuality is so prized.

I agree too, Sandra Dee. A very astute comment.

I do wonder though what happened to their pre-marriage proclamation of not wanting household servants. They've only been married a short couple of months and dressers and housekeepers for one apartment are creeping in already.  That's not to say anyone with a busy life or the money and desire to employ servants shouldn't do so if they wish, but it does jar with their alleged wish to keep domestic life low key and normal.  Housekeepers are quite normal and common among many a British household, but certainly dressers are quite uncommon and a tad excessive imv - particularly for a young, capable couple.

I suspect the next 12-24 months will see many departures from the pre-marriage proclamations of modest, understated domestic arrangements.  Now that the divisive economic slant of a costly royal wedding in austere times has passed, I get the feeling royal excess and indulgence will begin to creep into the domestic lives of Kate and William.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

cinrit

^^ But they've never said anything one way or the other.  It was reported by a tabloid, probably truthfully, that they would not have staff in Anglesey.  And they don't.  It was always known that they would have to have a place to stay when in London.  It was discussed here months ago.  In London, they'll have a dresser/housekeeper (dual roles, one person, part-time).  The "dresser" role is really one of laundry person, ironing clothes and such.  I wouldn't expect them to have no help whatsoever in London, since I suspect when they're in London, they'll be there for public appearances, not for vacations.  Their lives are more complicated than ours.  While we might go to a party or a public event, we'll be seen by dozens (or generously, hundreds) of people.  William and Kate will be on display ... seen by thousands or tens of thousands.  Not a bad gig, until we remember that everything they do, say, and wear will be commented on. 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Jenee

Quote from: Orchid on June 09, 2011, 09:47:52 AM
Quote from: Sandra Dee on June 09, 2011, 03:27:57 AM
... But I have to admit, the article from the mirror was very well written. Especially this part-

I agree too, Sandra Dee. A very astute comment.

I agree, I liked that comment as well... although in the end, I guess I don't really care what their personal views are. They are figure-heads after all. As long as they act responsibly and don't do anything that would make them poor role-models, I don't need to know what their personal musical tastes are.

But anyway, I think I'm off-topic here :teehee:

I part-time household staff member to take care of things when they are in London is not over-the-top, IMO.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Orchid

I'm in such a good mood today I can't be bothered to debate it - happy days everyone! :windsor1:
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

wannable

QuoteThe bottom line is that, despite the UK being a republic,...   

The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy.  :flower3:

SophieChloe

:doublewave: Ok here I go again...but, but, but : Kate can supposedly do her own make-up on the most important day of her life, where apparently billions were watching / photographing and scrutinising her every move;  but she can't sort out her own clothes for engagements whilst in London - it's not like the clothes have had to been put through the wash and tumbled dried and need to be ironed  - there I've said it  :whoohoo: be gentle with me - it's just a point  :hug:
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

blackprincess92

^ its okay...i feel the same...weird for someone who shops all the time

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

SophieChloe

wannable

The bright side is, she went to pick up her hat! for this Saturday?!  :laugh:

Maybe she should get the Stylist to do her shopping-dressing according to royal protocol! or heck dress up like Princess Anne  ;)

blackprincess92

a stylist is sometimes needed for people who DONT have the time to shop....but surely she does... im on the fence about her having  stylist 24/7

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

SophieChloe

^^ What stylist - does she have one - sure that rumour was dismissed  :shrug: - But yes I agree, Princess Anne looked a right old state, but that's her charm for me - what you see is what you get - as long as she keeps dedicating herself to her charitable work.  Having said that, I still think Princess Anne's hairstyle needs to be updated - from the one she has sported for years....  :)

wannable

I agree, Kate's been doing it all by herself up to date and has had more hits than misses in the looks-media-public eye department.

SophieChloe

Quote from: wannabe on June 09, 2011, 08:41:08 PM
I agree, Kate's been doing it all by herself up to date and has had more hits than misses in the looks-media-public eye department.
Agreed, yes she has, but you're making it sound like she has been 'running up' the outfits herself.  Even at £175 (Obama handshake)  that is still an expensive dress and tonight's one - well  - even more expensive. 

blackprincess92

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

SophieChloe

Who is paying for her clothes now - for official engagements?

blackprincess92

^ is that a rhetorical question?

the public or idk...private bank accounts they have

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

SophieChloe

cinrit

^^  More than likely, the bills are being sent to William's secretary to be handled.  Doesn't he share a secretary with Harry?  William and Kate are a married couple now, they share everything ... just as the Queen and Prince Philip share everything.  There was a phrase in the vows where he said, "...and all my worldly goods with thee I share".  Counter 5:57 in this video from the Monarchy's YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RFL4iyoi4s

She may, and probably does, have her own money, as well.  But from here on in, her bills are his bills and vice-versa ... none of which are financed by the taxpayer.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

^ So where are all the millions from the taxpayers going then? - I'm sure Diana received an allowance for clothes for official occasions.  At this rate, William's money won't last long.

wannable

I've posted it several times at different discussions in the running to the wedding.  :flower3: In both royal websites are the expenses 2010, by September we should have available the expenses July 2010/June 2011 their closing fiscal year.

Clothing isn't part of the taxpayers, she must have been included in the Duchy of Cornwall allowance, plus his/her money.