Main Menu

Forum Suggestion Box

Started by Jenee, March 17, 2008, 03:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nighthawk

Personally I think there should be some sort of nice forum greeting to keep people from attacking others I'm sure the mods would be less worked if such a formal statment was made yes people get carried away and I for one am sick of the personal attacks that I read when I log in that's one of the reasons why I am thinking about leaving it's something that I don't care to really read when i LOG in to read about the Royals I don't care what the excuse is NOBODY deserves to be attacked on this forum Period.

Jenee

Quote from: Diedera on March 23, 2008, 09:43:52 PM
I first came to this site because I was looking for "history" of the Royals.  I know that we have a thread for this subject but it doesn't seem to be visited much.  I wander through there sometimes but the cobwebs are terrible!

It would help me (one of the ones in the States) to have a "map" of some of the peerage.  Fabs has been fantastic with his information on this subject.  Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable ones could have a bi-weekly post on a member of the peerage?  How they are related to the Royal Family? Their current charity/political interests?  I would like to see the interests of the forum expanded beyond just Kate and her boots.   :rolleyes:

I think that would be very good, and informative. Any member who wishes to add content to the news site (http://theinternetforum.co.uk) please feel free to let the admins know.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Jenee

Quote from: Nighthawk on March 23, 2008, 09:16:10 PM
I have a suggestion

when a member opens (starts) a new thread maybe having a statement at the top of each page

This is based on other members opinions and Please don't insult other members

I'm not sure if we have the ability to make that kind of edit to the stylesheet (? I assume that's where the edit would have to take place) :hmm:

leogirl

It's quite sad when we have to state the obvious (our posts are our opinions) to avoid attacks, IMO. :notamused:

Stix Chix

about NH's suggestion for a notice:
if the past is anything to go by i doubt if a posted request from the mods and admins asking people to get along will have much effect. :shrug:  in the end it's up to the members to decide how they interact with each other.  if things get bad the mods step in.

Harryite #0004

Orchid

I haven't thought this through, it's just off the cuff, so please forgive me it is unworkable or just plain ridiculous:

But following on from Diederas suggestion, perhaps a variation to the format on those less frequented boards may trigger more interest and participation.  Maybe a tag on the board heading to alert members to new topics & news or perhaps the addition of pictorial content or a permanent list of links to live reference and news resources to encourage members to research and post new articles for discussion.  Just a thought. 
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

leogirl

Another idea: Make a sticky off-topic thread in each board. This will be the place where all off-topic posts and discussions can be moved to and started.

Some of the admins/mods said to use the PM function, but that is not a good idea because you can only talk to one person at a time, and it's usually several people involved in an off-topic discussion, not just two. :thumbsup:

Jenee

:lol: You can PM more then one person at a time... Just be careful how many you include, or you may come back after a few hours to a few dozen new PMs :P

Quote from: Orchid on March 25, 2008, 02:03:24 AM
  Maybe a tag on the board heading to alert members to new topics & news or perhaps the addition of pictorial content or

We have that - its the flashing news at the top of the main page.

Orchid

I mean't more localised to the actual board topic or such i.e. set directly against Royalty Throughout History

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

leogirl

Quote from: Jenee on March 25, 2008, 03:08:50 AM
:lol: You can PM more then one person at a time... Just be careful how many you include, or you may come back after a few hours to a few dozen new PMs :P

Yes (edit time ran out and then I got distracted, but I've gotten PMs that were sent to several people), but replying would be a pain in the :censored:, because you would have to PM everyone over and over again. A forum would be much easier. :P

That being said, a simple "no" would have been a better reply to my post. :P

Jenee

I don't see anything wrong with a random thread in every board (or at least the popular ones) - feel free to start one whenever you feel the need to use it!

Lila the Flirt

^I think I did make some FFA in a few boards. I'll look them up and sticky them

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

saywhatwhat

And then when we go off-topic in a thread can the posts just be moved to the FFA in each board so we can just carry on...that would be nice.  Though I don't know how painstaking it is to move posts around for the mods...

Jenee

It is painstaking and I'd prefer members to just stay on topic and post in the proper threads :)

MEW

This is all Camilla's and Kate's fault....if they had proper mothers...

Couldn't help it, Jenee, it was just too tempting.  I truly am trying to stay on topics in the threads
as discussed in Re: Forum Suggestion Box :angel:

saywhatwhat

"This is all Camilla's and Kate's fault....if they had proper mothers..."

LOL

Jenee, I thought that was the case...I'm not familiar with the system here but moving posts just seemed like it would be time consuming which is what I mentioned that.

And yes we should stay on topic...but it's so hard *pout*  :)

Jenee

It is, and then there's the issue of PMing everyone who had a post moved, and letting them know where it is, etc... it can be a pain in the bottom and if everyone did their part to pitch in (members and mods alike) the forum would run more smoothly for everyone :flower:

Ermilinda

<drops a bar of chocolate in the suggestion box>.... anarchy...  :teehee:

saywhatwhat

^ Okay, so off topic...but that was darn funny Ermilinda.

angeleyed

dont encourage her :P

Quote from: Jenee on March 25, 2008, 02:35:21 PM
It is, and then there's the issue of PMing everyone who had a post moved, and letting them know where it is, etc... it can be a pain in the bottom and if everyone did their part to pitch in (members and mods alike) the forum would run more smoothly for everyone :flower:

but then it wouldnt be our forum. :P
to be trusted ...  ...a greater compliment
than to be loved
JeSnoRe KaBaAn M

leogirl

Ok, cool. I think I'll make a random chat next time we get off-topic. Sometimes very interesting discussions happen, but they don't have anything to do with the original post. :)

Jenee

I agree. If you do that, send a PM to a mod to sticky it for ya

Stix Chix

^just to add to that.....if it's a thread about a specific topic (especially if it's one that's likely to get a lot of interest) i think it should have a label that'll let members know what it's about, rather then just "Random".  the random threads are more for miscellaneous stuff than one subject in particular.

also, sometimes theres a chance that an off-topic discussion in one thread is an official topic in another. :happy:

Quote from: Orchid on March 25, 2008, 03:50:25 AM
I mean't more localised to the actual board topic or such i.e. set directly against Royalty Throughout History
you mean like "The Spanish Royal Family--Juan Carlos visits Paris + new pics" ? 

Quote from: Ermilinda on March 25, 2008, 02:37:54 PM
<drops a bar of chocolate in the suggestion box>
^new rule!  admins get to keep all chocolate found in the suggestion box. ;)

Harryite #0004

Jenee

Orchid

Quote from: Stix Chix on March 26, 2008, 02:30:36 AM
you mean like "The Spanish Royal Family--Juan Carlos visits Paris + new pics" ? 

Yes Stix.  A means of drawing attention to those less frequented boards and alerting members to new points of interest.  I understand that there is already a motion tag in place at the top of the main forum index but my suggestion was to extend that to the board headings to garner interest. 

So: Index > The Spanish Royal Family (on which is a flash tag with relevant title i.e. *new pics of Juan Carlos in Paris*)

It may be a way of encouraging members to explore other boards that they may otherwise overlook or avoid.  Plus it may add a different and appealing touch to the aesthetics of the main Index.  Just a thought anyway.     
-Winston Churchil