Anne's son forsakes his birthright for his Catholic bride

Started by Lillianna, February 17, 2008, 06:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillyjobug

The line for succession is uber long, and not everyone is titled. It has nothing to do with the title you hold, only your lineage. He's still the Queen's grandson, regardless of his title.
Harryite #0094   

heather

Oh for goodness sake....he is not styled Prince, but he still was in line for the throne.

leogirl

Almost everyone is in line for the throne. :notamused:

heather

We can't all be in the top twenty like him though...

Fabulous Fake

Lets just wish them both 'all the very best for future happiness' and forget about pointscoring. :)

serene grace

"'Kate was going out with a bloke called Rupert Finch,' says a source. 'Soon afterwards, though, they split up and I remember William saying that he thought he might "have a go".'-TheGuardian-Observer: "Girl Interrupted"

Lillianna

"Happy are those who expect nothing, for they will never be disappointed."

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts become your words;
Be careful of your words, for your words become your deeds;
Be careful of your deeds, for your deeds become your habits;
Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character;
Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.
Anon.

serene grace

"'Kate was going out with a bloke called Rupert Finch,' says a source. 'Soon afterwards, though, they split up and I remember William saying that he thought he might "have a go".'-TheGuardian-Observer: "Girl Interrupted"

brettdale

I had read and was distubed with the inherit discrimination in banning someone who marries a Catholic ( http://blogs.pioneerlocal.com/religion/2008/04/a-nice-day-for-a-royal-wedding.html ).
But is it true that Catholic royal families have a similar requirement against Protestants?

Miss Scarlett

^Yes, I believe so.  Catholics are technically required to marry other Catholics.  If Prince Felipe of Spain wanted to marry a woman who was not Catholic, she would have had to convert.

The differene is that for Catholics it is a matter of Church doctrine, not a matter of Spain's constitution and their government (I think).  This situation is a Constitutional one for England as a country.  Also, England's system seems discriminatory because it simply prevents Catholics --no other religion --from marrying into the RF.  However, this does make sense, because by baptism, Catholics are "required" to marry other Catholics and to raise their children to be Catholic --so do you see the potential problem of a Catholic marrying into the RF?  Even if the spouse in line was not Catholic, a true Catholic would want to raise the children as Catholic --and that would present a problem if those children ever ascended to the throne since the monarch is Head of the CofE.  The whole point of the Act was not to prevent Catholics from marrying in because CAtholics are bad --it was to prevent those children, raised as Catholic, from coming to the throne and thus to preserve the CofE as the official church.

If Peter's place in line of succession was that important to him, Autumn could convert by renouncing her baptism.  So there is some choice.  It just depends on what the couple wants to do.

However, under the Danish constitution, I believe that a monarch is required to be Lutheran.  I am not sure if this required Mary to convert, but she did.  Regardless of whether Mary converted or not, her children would have to be raised Lutheran, otherwise they could not be in line for the Danish throne.

Windsor

Quote from: Miss Scarlett on April 21, 2008, 12:12:39 AMThis situation is a Constitutional one for England as a country.  Also, England's system seems discriminatory because it simply prevents Catholics --no other religion --from marrying into the RF. 

England? You mean the United Kingdom! :notamused:

Jenee

Quote from: Miss Scarlett on April 21, 2008, 12:12:39 AM
^Yes, I believe so.  Catholics are technically required to marry other Catholics.  If Prince Felipe of Spain wanted to marry a woman who was not Catholic, she would have had to convert.

That's actually not technically true. Catholics can marry outside of their faith, but they will not be permitted to be married by a Catholic priest, or within a Catholic church. To staunch believers, they may not consider a union outside a Catholic church to be 'valid' however I think that in this day and age, most people don't really follow that.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

heather

fawbert

Autumn Kelly has converted to the Anglican faith and has renounced her Roman Catholic faith so enabling Peter Phillips to remain in the line of succession.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/1915827/Peter-Phillips%27s-fianc%C3%A9e-Autumn-Kelly-converts-to-save-succession.html

===
Fawbert

Trudie

Quote from: Jenee on April 21, 2008, 02:13:02 AM
That's actually not technically true. Catholics can marry outside of their faith, but they will not be permitted to be married by a Catholic priest, or within a Catholic church. To staunch believers, they may not consider a union outside a Catholic church to be 'valid' however I think that in this day and age, most people don't really follow that.

Technically not true Jenee my first marriage was conducted by a Catholic priest and and Espicopalian Minister my ex was Catholic though the marriage was in my church we did the requirements to satisfy the Catholic church and our marriage was reconized in both churches. Which is why my children were raised as Catholics.