The Plantagenets 1154-1495 Henry II to Richard III

Started by Wombat, March 06, 2007, 05:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

At the time of Queen Elizabeth Woodville, Westminster Abbey would have been a Roman Catholic church.

Curryong

^ Yes, who says it wasn't?  All churches and religious establishments in Britain (monasteries, priories, Abbeys, convents etc)  were Roman Catholic at that time. Luther and Knox weren't even a twinkle in their granddads eyes, the Reformation was in the future.

LouisFerdinand

King Richard III's reign of two years and two months was the shortest of all the crowned monarchs since the Norman conquest in 1066.

LouisFerdinand

King Richard III held a Christmas party in 1484. A dance was played which the clergy complained about.   
Music from King Richard III's life - BBC News   
:xmas6: :xmas8: :shemademe: :xmas22: :xmas9:

TLLK

@Curryong, @royalanthropologist, @amabel or anyone else interested in Richard III, I had the opportunity to watch this on my PBS station. IMO it was one of the best programs on Richard III as scientists, archeologists and others tackle the question of Richard's physical capabilities in battle in spite of his severe scoliosis. They even find a young man with a nearly identical curvature who is participates in the activities required during a battle. It is truly worth viewing IMHO.

Secrets of the Dead Resurrecting Richard ? - YouTube

Curryong

Yes, TLLK, I have seen it and it's a fabulous programme. Of course aristo and Royal males were trained from the ages of about nine or ten in battle techniques, sword fighting and so on, so any physical disabilities of Richard's would have been picked up then. Apparently it wasn't, so the curvature couldn't have been too severe at that age. It was pretty severe by the time of his death though, but he was such an experienced warrior by then perhaps it didn't matter so much. Of course, for me Richard III is still the murderer of his young nephews, the Princes in the Tower, so I don't have much sympathy for him, I'm afraid.

TLLK

I thoroughly enjoyed it @Curryong and I'm glad that you had the opportunity to see it. I was amazed that they found someone with a similar issue because most people with the condition have had it surgically corrected. However I understand that the young man had other health issues that ruled out surgery.  The others who participated by providing their skills in armor, medieval battle skills, horsemanship, research etc...helped to create a fascinating program. (No I don't have much sympathy for the Yorks, Lancasters, Tudors but it is incredible to bring their story to life with modern science!)

royalanthropologist

Quote from: TLLK on January 07, 2018, 01:38:46 AM
@Curryong, @royalanthropologist, @amabel or anyone else interested in Richard III, I had the opportunity to watch this on my PBS station. IMO it was one of the best programs on Richard III as scientists, archeologists and others tackle the question of Richard's physical capabilities in battle in spite of his severe scoliosis. They even find a young man with a nearly identical curvature who is participates in the activities required during a battle. It is truly worth viewing IMHO.

Secrets of the Dead Resurrecting Richard ? - YouTube

Yes I saw the program and the archeological work was just amazing. Just goes to show that personality can overcome even the stricts institutions.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

LouisFerdinand

Through the second part of King Edward IV's reign, Richard (III) continued as brother's loyal ally and was rewarded with more land in northern England.

LouisFerdinand

When Richard married Anne Neville, he secured a share in the Neville inheritance. This was distasteful to George, Duke of Clarence, who was already married to Anne's older sister, Isabel Neville.   

:xmas4: :xmas4: :xmas4:

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

The procession from Westminster Abbey to the Hall at the Coronation of Richard III and Anne of Warwick: July 6,1483   
British History, Royalty, Illustration, The procession from... News Photo - Getty Images

LouisFerdinand

King Richard III supervised the removal of his nephews, Prince Richard and Prince Edward to the Tower of London.   
Circa 1483, Richard III , King of England from 1483 to 1485,... News Photo - Getty Images

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

King Richard III removed the tax on imported books and accumulated an exceptional library which he both read and understood in at least three languages.

LouisFerdinand

The succession of Edward IV made his brother Richard a royal prince. It was probably late in 1468, when he was 16 years old, that Richard was declared of age, took position of estates conferred by his brother King Edward IV, and commenced public life, attending court and judicial commissions.

LouisFerdinand

King Richard III was killed during the Battle of Bosworth Field in August 1485, becoming the last English sovereign to die in combat.

LouisFerdinand

King Richard III and Queen Anne (Neville) funded Cambridge University King's College and Queen's College.

Macrobug67

I found it quite interesting that he was identified through mitochondrial DNA.  mDNA is passed down through women.  All men have the mDNA of their mother but it stops with them.  It is the daughters that pass it on.  So the Canadian man (Michael Ibsen) that was ID as Richard IIIs relative descended from his sister, Anne of York.  To make it even more convincing, they all share a rare DNA type - shared by less than 1000 people of European descent.

Then to make things even more fun, the genetic information that comes down the male side does not match.  The living descendants do not match Edwards DNA.  So somewhere there was a little extra marital hanky panky going on. 

But this doesn?t mean QE2?s right to the throne is in question.  She rules as a Protestant descendent Of Sophia of Hanover via the Act of Settlement 1701

TLLK

Finding Richard III's remains in a Leicester  car parking lot was one of the more extraordinary archeological events in recent years. To find a close living ancestor of Anne of York was even more astonishing.

Regarding the male information, yes it is interesting with the discovery that the DNA was not a match.

Macrobug67

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

King Richard III and his wife Anne Neville were first cousins once removed. Both were descended from Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmorland and Joan Beaufort, the daughter of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster.

LouisFerdinand

The Nevilles were distantly related to Richard, Duke of York. York sent his two youngest sons, Richard and George, to live and train at Middleham Castle. There Young Richard and George came to know the Neville sisters Anne and Isabel very well.

LouisFerdinand