The Hanovers 1714-1901

Started by Windsor, April 15, 2006, 06:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Well certainly her father had a sister Elizabeth, who, after her niece?s death, married the Landgrave of Hesse Homburg. However, I?m not too sure as to whether she and Leopold were very close to this particular aunt. I don?t know whether Elizabeth was very in vogue as a name then. Charlotte and Leopold were still young and might have wanted a name more reminiscent of medieval Royalty.

Amabel2

:fuming:
Quote from: Curryong on November 04, 2022, 10:24:56 AM
Well certainly her father had a sister Elizabeth, who, after her niece?s death, married the Landgrave of Hesse Homburg. However, I?m not too sure as to whether she and Leopold were very close to this particular aunt. I don?t know whether Elizabeth was very in vogue as a name then. Charlotte and Leopold were still young and might have wanted a name more reminiscent of medieval Royalty.
Elizabeth has always been a very common name in England and its possible, if Charlotte had only one child, that she would have a daughter who was queen.  Hence the name Elizabeth.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on November 04, 2022, 10:47:06 AM
:fuming:Elizabeth has always been a very common name in England and its possible, if Charlotte had only one child, that she would have a daughter who was queen.  Hence the name Elizabeth.

I don?t know why there should be fuming.

I think my original answer was to LouisFerdinand in regard to an alternative universe in which Charlotte and her eldest child, the son that died, would have survived and the question was what would the couple have subsequently named a daughter (born later in the marriage.) I?m not sure that Elizabeth would have been an automatic choice for a name at the beginning of the 19th century, that?s all, Jane Austen?s Lizzie Bennett aside. After all, there were Queens regnant named Anne and Mary as well as Elizabeth.

Amabel2

I dont know why that cropped up as I dont do emoticons as Im sure you must guess, im not clever wiht computers.
As for Elizabeth, sure you remeber the fracas over the christening of Victoria a couple of years later when the parents wanted to call her Elizabeth and hte Regent did not want her to have a queenly name.  and Adelaide's child who lived for 4 months was called Elizabeth.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on November 04, 2022, 02:18:57 PM
I dont know why that cropped up as I dont do emoticons as Im sure you must guess, im not clever wiht computers.
As for Elizabeth, sure you remeber the fracas over the christening of Victoria a couple of years later when the parents wanted to call her Elizabeth and hte Regent did not want her to have a queenly name.  and Adelaide's child who lived for 4 months was called Elizabeth.

Is OK, I just wondered!
Victoria?s parents had already had received the permission of Tsar Alexander as sponsor for their child, so Alexandrina was already in place as a forename. It was Georgina that Edward and Victoire wanted to call their baby but the Regent refused to have his name go after the Tsar?s.

I don?t recall Elizabeth being a choice but by then the Regent was becoming very grumpy anyway. He absolutely refused the name Charlotte (his and Edward?s mother?s name) because his own dead daughter had been named after her, and several other names were proffered in vain. In the end Victoire was weeping and Edward was in despair, so George said ?Call her after her mother!? and so she became Alexandrina Victoria. You would think it all should have been sorted out beforehand!

Adelaide did have an Rlizabeth but none of her babies were healthy and for a long time they hoped for a living son. William had all those thriving illegitimates, but like his brother George no living legitimate heir in the end. It was as if Victoria was fated to be Queen in a way, considering what happened with Edward?s older brothers.

LouisFerdinand

Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales and his engagement in music and the arts   
The First Georgians A King's Ransom - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll and her nephew Hereditary Grand Duke   
Ernest Louis of Hesse and by Rhine   
Mary Evans Princess Louise and Ernest of Hesse 10223775   

:xmas4: :xmas4: :xmas4: :xmas4: :xmas4: :xmas4: :xmas4:

Curryong

By the way, as per the remark I made about George IV being ?a vain old tart? and the discussion that followed, I was reading a biography of Mark Bolan of T-Rex yesterday and a journalist in the British music paper Melody Maker described Bolan, then on the downward slope of his career in 1976, as ?parading around on stage like a tired old tart looking for a last trick?.

It seems maybe to be a bit of British slang from the 1960s and 70s to describe males who are past their prime (though Bolan was still in his 20s then) in that fashion, so that era may be what I?m channeling! I?ll be saying ?Peace, man!? and ?Far out!? next.

Amabel2

Probably because Marc Bolan had this effeminate persona, (not sure if he was gay) - and if he was looking seedy and wearing all that glittery stuff, he might be siad to look like a cheap tart. 

Curryong

I think Bolan was quite overweight at that time, rather like George IV! He had a girlfriend and baby when he was killed in a car crash (she was driving) but I think he was bisexual, Bolan not King George!

LouisFerdinand

King George II lead his men in the Battle of Dettingen.   
Mary Evans GEORGE II AT DETTINGEN 10078449

LouisFerdinand

King William IV and Queen Adelaide at the opening ceremony of London Bridge in 1831   
  Mary Evans LONDON BRIDGE OPEN 1831 10055152

LouisFerdinand

How many daughters did King George III and Queen Charlotte have?     
King George III's Daughters - YouTube

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on January 13, 2023, 11:41:00 PM
How many daughters did King George III and Queen Charlotte have?     
King George III's Daughters - YouTube

There were six daughters I believe, most of whom led restricted and rather sad lives.

Amabel2

of course there were 6 daughters.  It is clear from the video.  Charlotte, Augusta, Elizabeth, Mary Sophia and Amelia. 

LouisFerdinand

Painting of Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales by Barthelemy Du Pan     
Mary Evans Frederick, Prince of Wales 11068752

LouisFerdinand

Electress Sophia of Hanover missed her chance to become Queen of England.   
Sophia of Hanover - ALMOST Queen of Britain - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

Charlotte Augusta Matilda, Princess Royal was eldest daughter of King George III   
and Queen Charlotte. She became Queen of Wurttemberg as the wife of King Frederick I of Wurttemberg.
  http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/1800-princess-charlotte-2.jpeg

LouisFerdinand

Princess Charlotte of Wales was the daughter of King George IV of England.   
Princess Charlotte of Wales (1796-1817) - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

In 1735 King George II made Robert Walpole a gift of 10 Downing Street,   
which became the London residence of the British prime minister.   

:happyuk: :happyuk: :happyuk: :happyuk: :happyuk: :happyuk: :happyuk: :happyuk: :happyuk: :happyuk:

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on March 15, 2023, 07:56:56 PM
How could Mrs. Maria Fitzherbert be the Queen?   
Mrs. Fitzherbert and George IV: The Woman Who Should Be Queen - YouTube

She couldn?t. Mrs Fitzherbert was a devout Roman Catholic, which went directly against the Protestant monarchy?s Act of Settlement of 1701. The Prince of Wales had not asked permission from his father to marry her, which would have been refused anyway, but the ceremony that was performed in September 1785 directly contravened the Royal Marriages Act of 1772, which King George III had requested Parliament pass. Those two things alone would have barred her from becoming Queen Consort if the Prince Of Wales had become King after 1785.

Amabel2

And the selfish old horror married Pss Caroline to get money to pay his debts, and I supose to father a legitimate heir.  Its been rumoured that Caroline said that Maria F was his true wife.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 16, 2023, 08:19:23 AM
And the selfish old horror married Pss Caroline to get money to pay his debts, and I supose to father a legitimate heir.  Its been rumoured that Caroline said that Maria F was his true wife.

Yes, Caroline said George was so drunk on their wedding night that he stayed lying in the fireplace hearth for half the night, though he must have come to bed at some stage because Caroline became pregnant with Charlotte on that occasion. I don?t think they spent much time together at all after that disastrous beginning. Goodness, how that couple loathed each other.! Charles and Diana at the height of the War of the Waleses had nothing on them! And he then tried his hardest to divorce her by trying to ruin her reputation beforehand in a public ?trial? and failed. 

I think when George died he was found to be wearing a piece of jewellery that Maria had given him under his nightshirt. He was very sentimental about her later on, but I can?t imagine that he would have made an admirable husband under any circumstances.

Amabel2

well to be fair to George, Caroline was a terrible wife.  I dont entirely blame him for trying to divorce her, she had had plenty of affairs herself.