Edward, the Black Prince

Started by snokitty, September 08, 2015, 10:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

http://writedge.com/edward-the-black-prince-in-5-minutes/

QuoteEdward, the Black Prince was known as Edward of Woodstock due to his place of birth. It was only from the 16th century that he was known more commonly as the Black Prince. It is unclear just why he gained that name, but it is possible it was due to his armour. He fought many campaigns with his father during the Hundred Years' War, and wore black armour every time. In fact, he is famous for his two victories at the Battlesof Poitiers and Crecy in France, due to his exceptional leader skills with the military.

Born to be King of England, Edward never did go on to become Edward IV. He died a year before his father, Edward III, and the crown passed to his 10-year-old son, Richard II of England.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

In 1337 Prince Edward was created Duke of Cornwall. He was the first duke to be created in England.   
In 1367 King Pedro I of Castile gave Edward a huge ruby. The Prince had helped him to win a victory at the Battle of Najera in northern Castile.     :duel:

LouisFerdinand

In Aquitaine Prince Edward made himself unpopular with the nobility by levying taxes to pay for his Spanish expedition. They rose in revolt against him.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Edward, the Black Prince in 1355 was appointed King Edward III's lieutenant in Gascony.   
In 1362 he was created prince of Aquitaine and Gascony by his father.