French Critics' Anger as New Series About Louis XIV Is Being Produced in English

Started by cinrit, October 05, 2014, 12:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteDuring the 72-year reign of Louis XIV - the longest of any major European monarch - French became the universal language of the European elite.

So it is not exactly surprising that French critics have reacted angrily to the news he is to become the protagonist in a new 'dumbed down' television show - produced in English.  Critics have labelled it a 'crime' to have the great monarch speak in English - particularly as the ten-part series is being made by French station Canal Plus.

The show, called Versailles, has also been written by Brits - Dame Helen Mirren's nephew Simon Mirren and Spooks creator David Wolstencroft - and stars British actors.

More: French critics' anger as series Versailles about Louis XIV is produced in English  | Daily Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HistoryGirl

I understand that English is more universal than French and they want to appeal to more people, but personally it's a pet peeve of mine that in practically every movie I've seen that includes monarchs from all over Europe, they're speaking in a British accent.

Curryong

I feel the same when I know of much-loved British literary iconic books like Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, 1001 Dalmations, The Jungle Book etc etc that have been taken by Disney Studios and completely americanised, down to the voices.