'I didn't want my son to grow old waiting like Prince Charles': King Juan Carlos

Started by PrincessOfPeace, June 08, 2014, 04:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

And his unpopularity has nothing to do with it I suppose....

QuoteSpain's King Juan Carlos told his staff he decided to abdicate because: 'I do not want my son to wither waiting like Prince Charles', it was reported today.

The 76-year-old monarch is believed to have told Rafael Spottorno, chief of the royal household, that he wanted Crown Prince Felipe, 46, to be on the throne while he was still in his young.

'He saw, above all, that his son was in his prime and didn't want to see him like Prince Charles who will be 66 years old in November,' Mr Spottorno is quoted as saying.
More: 'I didn't want my son to grow old waiting like Prince Charles': King Juan Carlos of Spain reveals why he decided to abdicate | Mail Online

Limabeany

Like he could afford to be thinking about what is going on in anyone else's house.  :Lothwen: How inelegant, insensitive, rude and crude of him.  :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Badly done, Juan Carlos! Badly done!
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Boy oh boy, he could've gone a lifetime without saying that.  Pretty snarky, if you ask me.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

Thanks for reminding me, Cindy, I forgot snarky in my tirade!  :happy15:  :hug:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

He speaks the truth  :shrug:

Look at the state of the House of Windsor...Charles is like an old man...desperate to meddle.  And then he has W&K  :shrug:
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

I have to agree with both sides. I can understand that JC has many reasons for announcing his abdication, but he didn't need to point out Prince Charles' position either.

HereditaryPrincess

Quote from: cinrit on June 08, 2014, 05:14:31 PM
Boy oh boy, he could've gone a lifetime without saying that.  Pretty snarky, if you ask me.

Cindy

Yes I agree. I actually think that the article may be made up (well it is the Daily Mail so that's expected ;)), because it just doesn't seem true to my ears. I'm sure there are more mature reasons as to why Juan Carlos abdicated, such as the Noos Corruption Scandal, as well as his own scandals, ie shooting elephants.

SophieChloe

I reckon Charles would be more hurt with the thought his Mother does not seem to trust him to hold the reins.  Can't say I blame her nor him. Tricky!   

Limabeany

That's true, SC, I cannot imagine how he feels hanging with Mathilde and Philippe, Maxima and Willelm and the others...

SophieChloe

Sandor

Really, like Juan Carlos had a choice?

He resigned for one reason only...he had to!
He never would have given up his title if he could have weathered the storms caused by his scandals;  who is he kidding?    :wellduh:

Blue Clover

I don't believe that if Juan Carlos said this that it is the only reason why he abdicated.

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on June 08, 2014, 08:23:17 PM
That's true, SC, I cannot imagine how he feels hanging with Mathilde and Philippe, Maxima and Willelm and the others...
I understand that Charles turned down Amalia and Elisabeth's joint invitation for a royal sleepover.  :P

Limabeany

Limabeany

Quote from: Blue Clover on June 08, 2014, 09:33:39 PM
I don't believe that if Juan Carlos said this that it is the only reason why he abdicated.
I think, he said it to one person and not on the record but conversationally, and that person saw it fit to see this on the papers...

Blue Clover