Why are my PMs being censored?

Started by Miryoku, March 28, 2007, 02:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miryoku

Why are my PMs being censored?  Specifically when I make reference to a certain gossip website.  This seems to be crossing the line, IMO.  I understand censoring content that appears in the forum...but private messages?
Harryite #0060  Chelsyite #0025
My name is Miryoku. I sleep in a padded cell.

Wombat

I think the censor thingy covers the whole forum..like they can't stop it from censoring one thing and not the other...I don't know the technical words...but yeah...Is that P_erez Hilton? I have no idea why is his site censored.. It's one of the biggest news/gossip sites around now :shrug:

sillyjobug

If it is that P_erez site you're talking about... I think it's censored at least partly because it's just so darn trashy. And because he doesn't recognize copyrights. Actually that's probs the real reason... he's being sued out the wazoo for not recognizing copyrights on paparazzi photos and stuff. I think.
Harryite #0094   

Wombat

Probably..that and the fact that people tend to talk trash a lot :lmao: I love it :lmao:

Jenee

We have a "word filter" here. It doesn't discrimiate between Posts and PMs. The mods have nothing to do with it, it is built into the software. eg. if you put the link in you signature, it would automatically be filtered too.

The P. Hilton website has been censored because they have some very risque content and as a "family appropriate" forum, we don't allow links there. 
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Miryoku

Okay - thanks for clearing that up.  I agree that sometimes his site can be age-inappropriate...I just thought that if we PM'd links to his site that would be okay since the link wouldn't be made public to the whole forum...but if everything is automaticall filtered, then that explains that  :)
Harryite #0060  Chelsyite #0025
My name is Miryoku. I sleep in a padded cell.

Jenee

:nod:

The old software only filtered posts, but this new fangled stuff filters everything!

Its actually kind of a good thing, when we get spammers!
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore