Events to commemorate the centenary of the end of WWI

Started by TLLK, November 05, 2018, 02:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

The events to commemorate the end of WWI have begun in the UK and Europe.

An impressive display outside of the Tower of London in which 10,000 beacons have been lit to remember the loss of British troops.

Tower of London illuminated for Armistice tribute - BBC News

Tower of London lights up in stunning Armistice memorial | UK news | The Guardian

First World War centenary: events marking 100 years since Armistice | The Week UK

QuoteFittingly falling on Remembrance Sunday,  this year's Armistice Day will be commemorated with events up and down the country marking one hundred years to the day since hostilities ceased and the guns finally fell silent.

The annual Remembrance Sunday celebrations in London will be expanded this year, with families of First World War veterans allowed to march past the Cenotaph to commemorate the sacrifice of their loved ones, with an extra 10,000 places allocated to the relatives of those who died in the conflict.

Church bells will also ring out across the UK throughout the day, just as they did in 1918 to mark the end of the war. Government funding is supporting the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers to recruit 1,400 ringers ? the number lost during the war.

LouisFerdinand

It would be wonderful to hear the church bells ringing.     
Westminster Abbey church bells: Westminster Abbey Church Bells - London England - YouTube

Curryong

It would have been even more wonderful to have heard them in 1919 ringing out on that first Armistice Day, at the end of a long and rotten war which had killed so many. I think the bells of the Abbey are beautiful anyway. I suppose they'll also ring out for Prince Charles's birthday as well.

TLLK

King Felipe of Spain marks the centenary of the end of World War One ? Royal Central

QuoteThe King of Spain has marked the centenary of the end of the First World War by commemorating the humanitarian work done by his country?s government and his own great-grandfather during the conflict. Felipe VI viewed some of the letters sent to and written by his ancestor, Alfonso XIII, during the Great War as Spain attempted to help thousands of families across Europe who were affected by the conflict.

Between 1914 and 1918, over 200,000 people across the continent wrote to Alfonso, asking the monarch of neutral Spain to help them track down soldiers who had disappeared or who had been taken prisoner. The King responded personally to many of them, and some of his poignant letters were put on show for the first time yesterday in an exhibition at the Royal Palace in Madrid which was officially opened by King Felipe to mark the centenary of the end of World War One.

TLLK

Incredible  photos of events around London (Tower of London, Lloyds of London) to commemorate the Centenary.

Thousands of people bring London to a halt as crowds head to Tower of London for poppy memorial | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: November 10, 2018, 04:28:59 PM

Keep up this type of coverage DM and I'll back off on my usual unflattering comments!

How Britain will salute their sacrifice: An hour by hour guide to tributes across the country  | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: November 10, 2018, 04:31:47 PM

This is very good information. This  event caught my attention. Portraits of the deceased are being drawn in the sand at various beaches at low tide. Throughout the day the tide will wash them away.

Double post auto-merged: November 11, 2018, 03:36:19 PM

Belgian Royals King Phillipe, Queen Mathilde, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz attend a concert to mark the end  of WWI.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrunmAwWoAY0bOj.jpg