Friedrich III, German Emperor, King of Prussia

Started by snokitty, February 24, 2015, 07:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Friedrich III, German Emperor, King of Prussia | Unofficial Royalty

QuoteFriedrich III, German Emperor, King of Prussia was born at the Neues Palais in Potsdam, Prussia (now Germany) on October 18, 1831. The elder of the two children of the future Wilhelm I, German Emperor and his wife Augusta of Saxe-Weimar, he was given the names Friedrich Wilhelm Nikolaus Karl, but was known in the family as Fritz. Fritz had one sister:

Princess Louise of Prussia, Grand Duchess of Baden (1838–1923), married Friedrich I, Grand Duke of Baden; had two sons and one daughter including Friedrich II, Grand Duke of Baden and Victoria of Baden who married King Gustav V of Sweden.

Fritz's father Wilhelm had been raised in the strict military traditions of the Hohenzollerns, the ruling house of Prussia. However, Fritz's mother Augusta grew up in the more intellectual and artistic atmosphere of Saxe-Weimar where she received an excellent education with liberal views. Among the people Augusta was exposed to during her childhood were the famous German writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, composer Johann Nepomuk Hummel,  and artist Louise Seidler.  Because of their different views, Fritz's parents did not have a happy marriage and this unhappiness affected their children.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

As Crown Prince of Prussia, Friedrich was a hero of the Austro-Prussian War of 1866. His father awarded him the Order Pour le Merite as a mark of personal gallantry on the field.

LouisFerdinand

Frederick William, Crown Prince of Prussia and Victoria, Crown Princess of Prussia attended the Vienna Universal Exhibition.   
Frederick William, Crown Prince of Prussia and Victoria, Princess... News Photo | Getty Images

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Friedrich III was particularly good at foreign languages, becoming fluent in English and French, and studying Latin.   
As required of a Prussian prince, he became a very good rider.

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on July 31, 2021, 09:57:47 PM
If Frederick III, Emperor of Germany had lived, could he have stopped the First World War?
Frederick III - German Emperor who could have Stopped the World Wars - YouTube

That is an interesting question. Fritz was a military man but a very different type to either his son or father. I don?t think he would have followed the same aggressive foreign policies as Wilhelm II, and he was close to the British royal family, which meant a lot in those days. With the French there might have been problems though. He had played an active role in the war of 1870-71.

LouisFerdinand

Prince Frederick of Prussia proposed to Princess Victoria, Princess Royal of England during a pony trek up Craig-na-Ban, near Balmoral.