Main Menu

any kind of trouble

Started by Iris, January 16, 2005, 08:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iris

since I only have a small question I thought it would be useful just making a thread for small problems, so there doesn't need to be a whole different topic about every tiny thing.

my problem: my last post seems not posted / posted.  :huh:

I wanted to post something ( in the Harry's gaffe- thread), but when I typed my post it didn't show up in the thread. I figured I would have done something wrong and refreshed and flipped pages and so on. didn't help.

I tried to post the message again and - as always - I clicked on the add reply-button. now things changed: my post did show up in the 'last-10-posts'. I didn't post again, but I still can't see my post in the regular thread.

?? :unsure: ??

Iris

now that someone else posted there after me, it does come up.

still: ?? :unsure: ??

TB

Is this your post Iris?

QUOTE (mediastar @ Jan 16 2005, 07:58 PM)
Mein Kampf is available in the UK. I do not believe any written texts are banned here now.

well, it's not common banning stuff here either. Mein Kampf is the only book I know of.

And I think in this (internet- and globalisation-) era, the book is not really banned for its content anymore - yes, we'd love to keep it out of peoples minds, but is there really a way to stop it? - its just for the formality of it all.

This land was occupied. we live with the consequences still day after day. Living in a formerly occupied country apparently makes you think about the war quite differently than when living in a never occupied country. thats also why we probably think differnetly about banning this book. (it's also banned from Belgium)

my personal family history:
- grandmother : was bombed out of her house in Rotterdam, she had nothing left.
- grandfather : had to hide out and live hidden in a room behind a book closet for a few years to avoid having to work for the germans. (like Anne Frank)
- all of my grandparents: almost starved suffering the hungerwinter eating nothing but tulip-bulbs. (which are poisonous, cook them and don't eat the heart.)

now you might see where my - possibly considered exxagerated - emotions come from. I can't help it, it's just what I see around me every day.

I Pirates

Iris

mercedes_bend

Beware the censor! :mwahaha:  

TB

What are you talking about MB? :huh:

I Pirates

mediastar

Iris: your post is in the thread and I posted today with no problem.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

kitkat

Iris, was it the first post of a new page? That has happened from time to time. If you notice that your post doesn't come up go to the main page and then click on the title name of the thread you posted in--assuming that you were the last poster in that forum it will have a link under the date and above your name. If after you click it it brings you to your post you will notice that there is no highlighted page number.

It's all very odd and I don't have any explanations for it. :blink:  

Iris

to Mediastar: yes I posted there earlier today, also without trouble, just that last post went wrong.

to Kit: yes, it was a new page. but I did go to the mainpage and clicked whatever I could click (so also every 'last post' option) but it didn't help. I closed the window and started it again, but not even that helped. it just didn't come up until someone else posted under it.  :blink:

at that moment the 'last post'- link did show that the last post made was mine, but it didn't take me to my post when I clicked it.... <_<

ah well, it works properly now and when it happens again I can now keep in mind that it's not just me it happens to.  :)  

mediastar

I've just noticed the same fault on the first post on page 12 of the same Harry thread. I've closed the thread.

Please let me know if the fault repeats itself anywhere else?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Iris

Iris

the online-list, does it work as it should? because all sorts of posts keep coming up (I checked the time, it's all in the past 3 minutes or so) and no-one seems to be online.

at this moment there are only 2 anonymous users, so that can't be it either....

mediastar

Yes - it is working.

It shows the people who have been on the forum in the last 30 minutes. They are divided into anonymous members, named members and unregistered visitors who may just read the posts.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Iris

yes I know, but the list doesn't show everyone :unsure:  there were posts from at least 3 users showing up while there were only 2 anonymous people at the time, so at least 1 of them had to show, while they didn't......

and it was only 3 minutes ago (at the time ofcourse), so it can't be the 30 minute time limit either...

kitkat

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but if I do: Is it possible that somebody posted something and then logged out, thus they would show up on the user list?

Iris

QuoteI'm not sure I understand what you mean
ok, didn't think naming people would be relevant, but maybe to make things more easy to understand:

you, Lisa and Dave were online at the same time (I saw posts coming up at the exact minutes that I was online), but none of you were online according to the list. So I figured, maybe you are now all anonymous users, but when I checked, there were only 2 anonymous users online, so that would leave at least one of you three on the regular list, no?

and about the logging out, after I checked, you still kept posting, so that can't be it either I guess.

kitkat

Ohhhh, I get it now. It actually made it much easier now that I know who the members were. Dave and Lisa were using the same computer, so they were never on at the same time. They kept signing in and out! :lol:  

LisaG

QuoteOhhhh, I get it now. It actually made it much easier now that I know who the members were. Dave and Lisa were using the same computer, so they were never on at the same time. They kept signing in and out! :lol:
That's exactly what happened! Sorry for the confusion. He kept wanting to write stuff because he was reading over my shoulder so I finally told him to register. So, since he's at my house I signed out and let him write for a bit then I signed back in.  :D  

Windsor

Awww...... :lol:  :lol:  

Iris

but it says 'active in the past 30 minutes', but when you sign out it doesn't show anymore?

(this morning/night Kit dissappeared again..... :ph34r: )