Less Powers for the Monarchy?

Started by cinrit, July 06, 2013, 12:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThe announcement of the abdication of King Albert II in favour of Crown Prince Philippe has opened up the debate about the powers of the Belgian monarchy.

Following the announcement from the Palace, the politicians were quick to launch into the debate. The Flemish nationalists (N-VA) immediately told parliament that King Albert's abdication offers the opportunity "to adapt the monarchy to the 21st century". The N-VA wants a reduction of the king's powers and of royal funds. Some are even suggesting that it is time get rid of the monarchy altogether, although this is a long way off.

Less powers for the monarchy? < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Sandor

It wouldn't surprise me if the monarchy is phased out.
Phillippe has never been popular.

Blue Clover

I do wonder what is going to happen between now and the the abdication. :hmm:

Windsor

I hope the new King and Queen are able to restore Belgium's stability.

Limabeany

Quote from: Sandor on July 06, 2013, 03:29:24 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the monarchy is phased out.
Phillippe has never been popular.

The same can be said about Charles...  :sneeze:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Windsor

Prince Charles has always been popular, he was only unpopular during a short period prior and following the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Just like the Queen - Prince Charles has hardly ever been unpopular!

Limabeany

That doesn't seem to be the case in the media, he has manages to recover nicely from Diana but that episode makes it impossible for him to ever have more than a fraction of the Queen's popularity. He is known as an adulterer. It is not something he will ever live down. He is quite popular but he will never be anywhere near the Queen.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Charles is known as a former adulterer; anyone who refers to him as an adulterer would be mistaken (as far as anyone knows).  But about Phillippe ... I know nothing about him, so he's a clean slate as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

Cindy

Limabeany

Adulterers, thieves and murderers are not referred to as former... Addicts are referred to as recovering and strippers are referred to as former...  :orchid: he committed adultery, he is an adulterer. He may not be doing it now, good for him...  :nod:

cinrit

Maybe he's a recovering adulterer, then, if that's a better description. :D

Cindy

Limabeany

:happy15: :happy15: :happy15: I just burst out laughing!  :hug: :thanks: :happy15: :happy15: :happy15:

cinrit

And you just made me chuckle. :hug: :flower:  Good way to start the week, isn't it? :happy15:

Cindy

Limabeany

It sure is!  :thanks: My colleague looked at me like I went nuts!   :yesss: :vday4: I am a conference interpreter and we take 30 to 45 minute turns. Haven't started yet...  :Jen:

Windsor

Quote from: LIMABEANY on July 08, 2013, 12:16:11 PM
That doesn't seem to be the case in the media, he has manages to recover nicely from Diana but that episode makes it impossible for him to ever have more than a fraction of the Queen's popularity. He is known as an adulterer. It is not something he will ever live down. He is quite popular but he will never be anywhere near the Queen.

Well most of the people I talk to about the Prince refer to him as a dedicated royal, who takes seriously his role, who has a cracking sense of humour, who is also a nice chap. Hardly ever do people go into his private life from decades ago.  :shrug:

Koala

Most people I know think Charles is potty or they think nothing of him beyond his scandals.

Belgian King's Abdication Fuels Debate - WSJ.com

The Belgian royals also speak french first as their mother tongue, which bothers the Flemish separatist movement.  The Flemish are the richer part of the country. I've read some criticism that the king also does not speak Belgian Flemish properly, I'm not sure if that's true or not.  Anyway, I think the role will probably be scaled down for the time being...separatists are looking for bigger fish to fry.