Ministers Bar Hereditary Peerages from Passing to Women

Started by cinrit, October 21, 2011, 11:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteMinisters have ruled out a change in the law that would have allowed hereditary peerages to pass to women.

Lord Strathclyde, the Leader of the House of Lords, said that proposals to change the law on royal succession would not be extended to peers.

The announcement comes following a campaign led by Lord Fellowes, the creator of Downton Abbey, whose wife cannot inherit her family's viscountcy. He described the law as "ridiculous" and "outrageous" in the 21st century.

Speaking in the Lords, Lord Strathclyde said: "Changes to the law on succession to the throne can be effected without any change to the legitimate expectations of those in the line of succession. Changes to the rules governing succession to hereditary titles would be far more complicated to implement."

He spoke out after Lord Trefgarne, a Conservative hereditary peer, said he was "anxious" that any uncertainty over a potential change should be addressed as it was "unsettling for those who will be affected".

Read more:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8840016/Ministers-bar-hereditary-peerages-from-passing-to-women.html 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Trudie

Totally outdated in the 21st century. A child should inherit no matter what the gender besides it wouldn't happen for another generation so what really is the problem here?. Is Lord Fellowes questioning his own manhood? or his worth?

Bensgal

Trudie, I couldn't agree with you more. <sigh> men...

wannable

Quote from: cinrit on October 21, 2011, 11:57:23 AM
QuoteMinisters have ruled out a change in the law that would have allowed hereditary peerages to pass to women.

Lord Strathclyde, the Leader of the House of Lords, said that proposals to change the law on royal succession would not be extended to peers.

The announcement comes following a campaign led by Lord Fellowes, the creator of Downton Abbey, whose wife cannot inherit her family's viscountcy. He described the law as "ridiculous" and "outrageous" in the 21st century.

Speaking in the Lords, Lord Strathclyde said: "Changes to the law on succession to the throne can be effected without any change to the legitimate expectations of those in the line of succession. Changes to the rules governing succession to hereditary titles would be far more complicated to implement."[/u]

He spoke out after Lord Trefgarne, a Conservative hereditary peer, said he was "anxious" that any uncertainty over a potential change should be addressed as it was "unsettling for those who will be affected".

Read more:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8840016/Ministers-bar-hereditary-peerages-from-passing-to-women.html 

Cindy

The reality and the truth from Lord S. IMO, women (who have an issue with this) should start complaining from the bottom to the top...When one marries (in any country in the planet), one will change the last name to his...

Trudie

Yes Wannabe Most women marry and take the husbands I did it the first time divorced took back my maiden name and second time kept my maiden name will never give it up for another man. However, this is not about marriage and names it is about equality regarding heirs and peerages. One would think that the strain to produce a male heir wouldn't lead to more divorces. The Spencers come to mind Frances was put through humiliating tests to find out why she couldn't bear the son and heir. Well dumb Johnnie was responsible for the gender yet what he put his wife through killed the marriage.  I think making young women feel inferior and less valued by the aristocracy with their titles has no place in today's world.

Jenee

^In addition to that, I think that aristocracy and titles themselves should simply be discontinued.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

memememe

Follow this scenario:

William and Kate have two children:  girl then boy.

Then William dies.  Boy becomes Duke of Cambridge but girl will get throne.

It amazes me that Beatrice could inherit the throne but isn't good enough to inherit her father's title simply because she is a girl.

Mike

Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

cinrit

^^ Mike, yes.  Didn't the summit just end yesterday?  I'm kind of out of the loop, but I thought I saw something about it on the ABC news last night.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Diandra

Quote from: Mike on October 28, 2011, 06:12:24 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/28/world/europe/uk-monarchy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Great news :)

Just a little comment to the article.
Denmark didn't have totally gender neutral succession law in 1953. The succession law in 1953 was changed because there was "only" girls. The totally gender neutral succession law came when CP Mary was expecting her first child.