New "Pre-Freddy" Mary Book

Started by Wombat, November 16, 2005, 10:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wombat

On a morning program they interviewed an Australia Journo who has been writing/is writing a book on Princess Mary before she married Freddy.

The author has gone into Marys background way before she met the Prince and has turned up some surprising things.

Mary, although liked well enough by most of her friends and peers, was described by many as "irratatingly perfect..and a little boring".  I found this particulary funny...if that's the worst thing about Mary then she's doing well.  One of her old friends described Mary as "A Holden Commodore (an Australian family car).....boring but does what you want". :rolleyes:

The author, Emma Tom also went onto say that Mary and Freddy managed to keep their relationship a secret for 14 months before the Dansih press realised that he must have been seeing someone in Australia.  They then hired a group of Aussie private eyes to follow Mary everywhere she went.  They showed never before seen pictures of Mary walking in Sydney and wow..she looked really different!!!!

She wasn't as glamourous or elegant as she is today.  She looked very much like an ordinary young woman going about her business.  As the author pointed out...an amazing fact to this whole story is that Prince Freddy had, up until meeting Mary, only dated stunningly beautiful women...models...etc.  This ordinary girl..a little frumpy but nonetheless very attractive, managed to capture his attention in a pub one night.  This struck me as the quintessential rags to riches...pauper to princess fairytale. :yay:

What I was angry about was that the Private Eyes that followed her camped outside her home and went through her rubbish.  They showed personal documents..ranging from back account details (even how much she had in one bank account ~ $3000 odd dollars) to medicare documents/numbers.....letters etc etc.  Mary had thrown these out shortly before moving to Paris and then onto Denmark.

I'll try and find out more details on the book..what date it's being publish..etc.  I have checked the website but they haven't updated their stories from today yet.

Wombat

I just thought I'd add, seeing as how I'm obviously the only one interested in this.....  :unsure: *looks around...can hear the crickets in the background..whilst a tumbleweed rolls on by* :unsure: that I will be buying this book today.. ^_^  

Tami

I am interested in reading the book. I just can't afford to pay over 30 bucks for a book right now. Besides the only way I can buy it is online from Abe Books. Hopefully they will be in stores here soon.

Please post interesting tidbits from passages from the book when you get the chance.

I can't believe they went through her garbage. That's a damn shame. People do that here, but it's perfectly legal tho.  :(  

QB

I don't know wether to read it or be disgusted by what they did to write this book :(  
Why is you pickin on me? Is it cuz I is   ginger, aiii? –Arri G

Tami

^True.

Everything I've ever read about her has been strictly upbeat, and nothing too revealing. An unauthorized biography of PM might be a bit more candid. I would love to learn more about her.

I was just wondering how many photos do you get in the book? And are they pics we have never seen before?

Wombat

QuoteI don't know wether to read it or be disgusted by what they did to write this book :(
No..this author didn't do those things. She's retelling what the Danish press did when they found out about Mary.

Tiger Lily

I'm not perfect, but I'm pretty good
-Maya Angelou

"You jumped, of course," explained Canby. "That's the way most everyone gets here. It's really quite simple: every time you decide something without having a good reason, you jump to Conclusions whether you like it or not. It's such an easy trip to

Wombat

There is another book..which I'm reading at the moment. It's a lot cheaper.  I book it for $17. It's called Mary: Crown Princess Of Denmark. It's written by two Danish journalists and at 1st look appeared to bag Mary but the more I get into to the book, the more balanced it is.

It actually documents the early stages of the romance.  It's great stuff and for those of us that believe in fate it's especially good reading.

It shows just how much Mary gave up to be with Freddy and how a lot of her life was about chances taken and that she was very much in the right place at the right time with regards to most aspects of her life.

It's not all glowing about her.  It does say that she and Freddy really need to have an open dialogue with the press instead of keeping them in the dark 100% of the time because they fear that the media will tire of this and turn against her.

It also says that Mary had 2 serious relationships previous to Freddy.  One for 3 years between the ages of 15/16 to 18/19..and the other was a 6 year long romance with a guy who she is still good friends with.  This would explain there reason for there being no kiss and tell stories.

It does say that Mary had a "fling" with a footballer just  months before meeting Freddy. I've never heard of this before so I do wonder if there's any truth to this rumour.

TB

Six years? Wow. I'm surprised they didn't get engaged.  

I Pirates

Wombat

They're still friends.  The book also says that after Freddy returned to Denmark he was photographed with his then "supposed" gf.  A 20-something Uni student.  But they apparently broke up not long after. I wonder if anyone has any pics of her?

Tami

QuoteSix years? Wow. I'm surprised they didn't get engaged.
Mary: My ex will always be part of my life

Wombat

OK..so I have the book and so far it's pretty darn good.  Quite witty and thoroughly enjoyable. :wavey:

Apparently one of the first conversations Mary had with Freddy was about body hair :blink: :happytears:

Beebs

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 19, 2005, 06:05:55 AM
Six years? Wow. I'm surprised they didn't get engaged.
Me too! Then again maybe they didn't see the need to.

Wombat

It seems that after Mary and Freddy got together that Freddy came back to Australia for another trip just 2 weeks after returning home.  But then his granny died and he went back to Denmark...and was pictured with his Danish girlfriend!!!!! :mad: