DM at it again - Diana made PW upset because of photos

Started by oak_and_cedar, September 15, 2019, 09:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oak_and_cedar

Prince William upset over Princess Diana topless picture scandal | Daily Mail Online

A chairman for Conde Nast has told/written about a time when PD told him that PW was upset because of some topless photos of her.

I find this article to be classless, and unlikely to be true. What (british) newspaper would publish topless pics of a royal in the 90s? They don't even do that now. And Diana would have sued.

Silly article.

Curryong

I can't remember which newspaper it was or even if it was a foreign one but I do remember topless photos of Diana being published. She was on holiday and sun baking at the time. It was probably after the divorce when the British media, in their usual charming way, decided it was open slather on her after she was no longer an HRH.

oak_and_cedar

Aha. Got it. But I don't think that UK newspapers would publish something like that. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Diana would've perhaps sued had they done so, considering that she also sued when that gym owner took photos of her.

It's very creepy the way paparazzi insists on not only intruding but to take photos of extremely private moments. Surely that can be considered sexual harassment?

Anyway IF she did indeed have this conversation she was probably making light of the incident. Most people make "off color" joke. There was no need to bring it up, IMO.

It seems like it's still open season on Diana, IMO.

Curryong

Well, tabloids did regard it as open season on Diana. Take the Sun newspaper. Would the Sun have published the following 'joke' in an article about Dodi and Diana on the yacht if she had still been considered part of the  BRF?

Dodi to Diana on the deck of the holiday yacht 'How about a dip, darling?'
Diana answering him 'No, not here, darling. The staff will see us. Let's go for a swim instead.'

Is that crude and tasteless? Yes! Had the Press turned on Diana? A thousand times, Yes! Are they capable of almost anything when they're in that mood? Yes! And it's a very small step from that sort of thing to publishing photos of Diana topless. I do think the tabloids were capable of doing that.

oak_and_cedar

What a crass joke that was. It seems like they were intent on portraying her in a certain way. I wonder how their private lives are when looked into. Hypocrites.

One difference is that had they actually published the photos Diana, I think, would have had a right to sue because of britains serious libel laws (correct me if i'm wrong).

This is why, IMO, the tabloids went for the jokes and innuendos in order to try to smear Diana's name. Had they gone over the line Diana would've probably responded in a severe manner, and thus they settled for toeing it, IMO.

I think the laws should be revised so that when a a nude photo is taken without a persons permission it should be considered sexual harassment.

It seems as if they're still at it with the smearing.

sandy

The Me Too movement is going on now. This sort of thing would not have been tolerated today and Coleridge trying to make money about Diana being harassed and gossip about how William reacted.

William and Kate had the same thing happen to them and sued. ANd won.

Diana was in a secluded place sunbathing, it was that she had her straps down and it was a grainy photo. It is a reflection on the paparazzi and Coleridge for dredging it up.

I hope the Me Too movement causes him to get much flak for this.

Diana is not around to refute what Coleridge claims.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on September 15, 2019, 09:37:23 PM
I can't remember which newspaper it was or even if it was a foreign one but I do remember topless photos of Diana being published. She was on holiday and sun baking at the time. It was probably after the divorce when the British media, in their usual charming way, decided it was open slather on her after she was no longer an HRH.
I do believe that it was mostly featured in foreign media and not too long before her death in 1997. Diana was no longer receiving the positive press that she once could rely upon with the British newspapers and tabloids.

It's awful to see how her privacy was grossly invaded much like her daughter-in-law's. :no:

I think the laws should be revised so that when a a nude photo is taken without a persons permission it should be considered sexual harassment.
:thumbsup:

France has very strict privacy laws dating back decades, so even if one is topless on a beach (not uncommon in France) you still cannot take someone's photo without their permission. This is how the Cambridges were able to sue in French courts and win their lawsuit against Closer magazine.

amabel

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on September 15, 2019, 09:11:24 PM
Prince William upset over Princess Diana topless picture scandal | Daily Mail Online

A chairman for Conde Nast has told/written about a time when PD told him that PW was upset because of some topless photos of her.

I find this article to be classless, and unlikely to be true. What (british) newspaper would publish topless pics of a royal in the 90s? They don't even do that now. And Diana would have sued.

Silly article.

[/quote
Quote from: Curryong on September 15, 2019, 10:11:47 PM
Well, tabloids did regard it as open season on Diana. Take the Sun newspaper. Would the Sun have published the following 'joke' in an article about Dodi and Diana on the yacht if she had still been considered part of the  BRF?

Dodi to Diana on the deck of the holiday yacht 'How about a dip, darling?'
Diana answering him 'No, not here, darling. The staff will see us. Let's go for a swim instead.'

Is that crude and tasteless? Yes! Had the Press turned on Diana? A thousand times, Yes! Are they capable of almost anything when they're in that mood? Yes! And it's a very small step from that sort of thing to publishing photos of Diana topless. I do think the tabloids were capable of doing that.

As I recall the pics appeared in some foreign magazines.. ten a friend of Di's bought them up before they had time to circulate?

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 10:48:37 AM

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on September 15, 2019, 09:11:24 PM

Silly article.

Sarah was photographed topless and spread all over the newspapers.  There is also a photo of Sophie Rys Jones with a TV presenter pulling up her top, in a picture taken a few years before.

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 10:50:47 AM

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on September 15, 2019, 10:39:33 PM
What a crass joke that was. It seems like they were intent on portraying her in a certain way. I wonder how their private lives are when looked into. Hypocrites.

One difference is that had they actually published the photos Diana, I think, would have had a right to sue because of britains serious libel laws (correct me if i'm wrong).

I

what would Libel laws have to do with a topless photo?  If they said soemthig about her which was proved to be untrue she could sue for libel.. but that has nothing to do with photos of semi nudity.

sandy

Coleridge claims Diana "said" something. She's dead and can't refute it.

The odd thing is some of the DM comments blame Meghan for "spreading t his PR."

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 01:40:13 PM

Quote from: TLLK on September 16, 2019, 02:27:55 AM
I do believe that it was mostly featured in foreign media and not too long before her death in 1997. Diana was no longer receiving the positive press that she once could rely upon with the British newspapers and tabloids.

It's awful to see how her privacy was grossly invaded much like her daughter-in-law's. :no:
:thumbsup:

France has very strict privacy laws dating back decades, so even if one is topless on a beach (not uncommon in France) you still cannot take someone's photo without their permission. This is how the Cambridges were able to sue in French courts and win their lawsuit against Closer magazine.

The paparazzi treated Diana like dirt because she would  not pose for pictures.

As I recall, Diana was receiving positive press at the time.

TLLK

QuoteOne difference is that had they actually published the photos Diana, I think, would have had a right to sue because of britains serious libel laws (correct me if i'm wrong).

I don't believe that you can sue for libel due to the photos as it has to be something written or said. (This is what brought on the Legge-Bourke's family's letter to Diana after her remark to Tiggy.) She could have presumably sued for invasion of privacy though. 

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on September 16, 2019, 02:36:01 PM
I don't believe that you can sue for libel due to the photos as it has to be something written or said. (This is what brought on the Legge-Bourke's family's letter to Diana after her remark to Tiggy.) She could have presumably sued for invasion of privacy though. 
If she was on a public beach though?

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 02:51:51 PM

Quote from: sandy on September 16, 2019, 01:39:08 PM
Coleridge claims Diana "said" something. She's dead and can't refute it.

The odd thing is some of the DM comments blame Meghan for "spreading t his PR."

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 01:40:13 PM

The paparazzi treated Diana like dirt because she would  not pose for pictures.

As I recall, Diana was receiving positive press at the time.
how could both these statements be correct?  If diana was "being treated like dirt" by the paparazzi, she was harldy receveing positive press...And yes generally she wasn't receiving positive press.  Photographers saw her as fair game, chased her and treated her like a commodity. She got more jokes and unkind stories.. and her relationship with Dodi was not looked on favourably

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: TLLK on September 16, 2019, 02:36:01 PM

Thanks for the correction. She could have of course sued for invasion of privacy.

sandy

It makes it sound like Diana caused it she didn't. It was the paparazzi the same type who took the pictures of Kate.

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 07:20:17 PM

Quote from: amabel on September 16, 2019, 02:37:11 PM
If she was on a public beach though?

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 02:51:51 PM

how could both these statements be correct?  If diana was "being treated like dirt" by the paparazzi, she was harldy receveing positive press...And yes generally she wasn't receiving positive press.  Photographers saw her as fair game, chased her and treated her like a commodity. She got more jokes and unkind stories.. and her relationship with Dodi was not looked on favourably

The paparazzi wanted $$$$$, Diana could bring them the money shots. If she were not popular nobody would care about Diana pics. I recall she DID receive positive press except from Penny Junor and her ilk. So yes, amabel both statements are correct. the paparazzi were hungry for $$$ which Diana pics could bring she was frustrating them and they did not like it.

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: sandy on September 16, 2019, 07:19:17 PM
It makes it sound like Diana caused it she didn't. It was the paparazzi the same type who took the pictures of Kate.

Diana did not cause anything IMO. She was harassed by paparazzi who acted shamelessly.

TLLK

QuoteIf she was on a public beach though?
@amabel-In France this would apply even if you're on a public beach. The privacy issue might vary from country to country.

QuoteDiana did not cause anything IMO. She was harassed by paparazzi who acted shamelessly.

Yes and the same thing happened to the Duchesses of York and Cambridge. Each had an expectation of privacy which was violated.

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 10:47:10 PM

QuotePhotographers saw her as fair game, chased her and treated her like a commodity. She got more jokes and unkind stories.. and her relationship with Dodi was not looked on favourably

It is a shame that she chose to give up her Royal Protection Officers after the divorce. :(

sandy

She gave up the royal protection but that does not of course give "permission" for her to be harassed that way.

Jackie Kennedy was pursued by the paparazzi and ended up taking her main paparazzi stalker to Court.

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 11:12:49 PM

Jackie pursued by Galella.

The Story Behind the Most Famous Paparazzi Photo | Time

TLLK

QuoteShe gave up the royal protection but that does not of course give "permission" for her to be harassed that way.

Giving up royal protection meant that she no longer had the support or power of officials and BRF to keep the harassment at bay. Sadly this was a very poor decision on Diana's part IMO.

sandy

TLLK

And it escalated after the divorce when she gave up royal protection. Sadly a very poor decision that Diana made.

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: TLLK on September 16, 2019, 09:53:41 PM

Yes and the same thing happened to the Duchesses of York and Cambridge. Each had an expectation of privacy which was violated.

Yes, but with Diana it was more fierce and for longer periods. I've seen videos and it really looked awful. Granted, i've seen videos of the DOC being hounded and it looked awful!

If you've ever seen the BBC doc inventing the royals, Penny Junor described DOC being called some really foul names. How they can get away with this, I don't know.

The difference, I feel, is that Kate is of course married to PW. This gives her the backing of the institution that she married into.

Diana was divorced from PC and had to provide that kind of support all on her own. That can be very difficult and expensive.

Overall I think that Diana suffered the most from this problem, IMO.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on September 16, 2019, 11:50:45 PM
Giving up royal protection meant that she no longer had the support or power of officials and BRF to keep the harassment at bay. Sadly this was a very poor decision on Diana's part IMO.
And protection officers were good at keeping photographers to a safe distance.. and had contacts with other police officers and officials..

Double post auto-merged: September 17, 2019, 07:24:20 AM

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on September 17, 2019, 06:06:43 AM
Yes, but with Diana it was more fierce and for longer periods. I've seen videos and it really looked awful. Granted, i've seen videos of the DOC being hounded and it looked awful!

If you've ever seen the BBC doc inventing the royals, Penny Junor described DOC being called some really foul names. How they can get away with this, I don't know.

The difference, I feel, is that Kate is of course married to PW. This gives her the backing of the institution that she married into.

Diana was divorced from PC and had to provide that kind of support all on her own. That can be very difficult and expensive.

Overall I think that Diana suffered the most from this problem, IMO.

no Diana could have retained her ROyal Protection officers but chose not to do so... She did not want security men around her esp RPOs

sandy

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 17, 2019, 12:32:07 PM
Even so Diana did not "ask for" this treatment.
No, it would be very odd if she did. But by not having RPO's she was certainly making it easier for photographers to harass her...

TLLK

No Diana never "asked for" this treatment but I agree that having the RPOs would have made it more difficult to be harassed like she was after the divorce.