UK-Historic and contemporary royal palaces, residences, estates, castles

Started by Blue Clover, January 27, 2019, 02:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Clover

A place to discuss the many palaces homes, estates and castles in the United Kingdom including those managed by the Historic Royal Palaces: The Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, Kew Palace, Kensington Palace (state apartments), Banqueting Hall and Hillsborough Castle. Also this is the place to discuss other royal estates ie Sandrinham, Balmoral, Gatcombe Park, Highgrove, Amner Hall  and homes in the UK.

Prince Charles & More Royal Family Members Hate Buckingham Palace - Buckingham Palace Renovation

Will they open the palace to the public for tours to cover the expense of maintaining it?
Prince Charles is not a fan of BP. What will happen to it once he is King?

amabel

TLLK

@LouisFerdinand - BP opened for tours in 1993. Visitors see  certain parts of the palace, but private rooms and offices are off limits. This was done to help raise the needed funds to make repairs to Windsor Castle after it caught fire in 1992.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 29 | 1993: Queen to open Palace doors

As to its future, I wouldn't be surprised if Charles and Camilla continue to live at nearby Clarence House and use BP as an official reception site. The vast majority of European royals do not live in their nation's main royal palace: Belgians, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish,  and live in smaller villas or palaces.

Blue Clover

So tours would open up for areas that have been off limits since 1993.

amabel

i doubt it..they are not going to open offices or rooms that are needed for various events.

Blue Clover

Is it true that Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms? Are all of these rooms need for various events?
Also, I believe BP is only open while the Queen is away at Balmoral - 3 months a year.

Tour the Buckingham Palace State Rooms | Hilton Mom Voyage

Curryong

Much of BP is basically office space, with small apartments for royals like Princess Anne, the WessexEs and Andrew etc on the upper floors. Then there are of course the suites for the Queen and Prince Philip, studies,  library, drawing and dining rooms where less  official business is conducted, as well as the Belgian Suite, (the main guest suite) and other bedrooms, including accommodation for ladies in waiting and Equerries. The State rooms where the public are allowed to view is only a little part of it.

There are offices for officials and senior courtiers dealing with the Queen's business and the offices of those who handle the Wessexes, York and Princess Royal's engagements, Media and inquiries. (That's all handled from BP.) There are also offices for dealing with the thousands of pieces of mail delivered from the public all over the world. As well, very tiny islands and countries in the Commonwealth that can't afford legations in London like Canada and Australia Houses are also accommodated at BP. So, yes I guess most of the rooms are really needed!

Blue Clover

@Curryong Thank you for the insight!  :goodpost: What a fascinating Palace. The very next time I'm in England I'm going to learn as much about the Palace as I possibly can - hopefully I'll be there when tours are available to the public.  :thumbsup:

I have a friend who is a member of a now defunct monarchy/aristrocracy was invited to Buckingham Palace for tea years ago. I told her if history had been on her side she would have been considered a suitable match for a Prince, Duke, or Lord. Now she is a divorced single Mom. :blush:

oak_and_cedar

I thought that this would be an appropriate sub forum to this topic.
Though this is for PH as well but it would be useless to open a new topic in two forums. And PW is going to be king so here we are.
I Think that QE and DOE are quite fond of vacationing in balmoral during the summer. I Think PC will probably continue this tradition.
But will his children, PH and PW? Will PW use it when he's king? It seems to me that they're more fond of "summer holidays".
I'm just curious as to it's fate if they discontinue the tradition. What do you think?

Curryong

The future of Balmoral is indeed up in the air after Charles's reign, IMO anyway. The Cambridges rarely spend more than a week or so at the castle with the Queen. Neither William nor Harry are that fond of Birkhall either, though they have spent slightly more time there. Their tastes may change later, but I can't see it.

The Balmoral estate is barely financially viable now. That's not likely to improve and if Scotland ever becomes independent things might become more problematic. So, unfortunately, I can see Balmoral Castle being sold in William's reign, and/or the estate being broken up. It won't happen before then though, IMO.

oak_and_cedar

That's a bit sad. Sounds like a really nice place to vacation in. I suppose it's only me but it's a bit odd if a future king only traveled to faraway, exotic places for vacation. However, I suppose we all have our tastes. They can always try to make balmoral a bit more profitable. I think they are trying to do that with Sandringham.

Curryong

Sandringham is a lot more convenient to get to, though. I've got no doubt they will cling on to Sandringham as there's excellent shooting. Balmoral requires a plane to Aberdeen then a long car journey. Not everyone loves striding through the heather, like Charles and the Queen. Margaret didn't like being there very much nor did Queen Mary or Diana! It rains quite a lot in that part of Scotland as well. Probably when they get there royals quite like it, if they're into stalking deer and fishing. Harry and William stay at Birkhall at various times. Maybe George will grow fond of it. I don't know. There might be complications if there's an independent Scotland though.

wannable

They enjoy it or not, all the private properties of the Queen, will pass to Charles, will pass to William, will pass to George.  That is the only way to keep all active assets in one hand, death tax exemptions if they do it this way.

There is always ways to make it productive if not being used....

oak_and_cedar

I suppose they might go for Sandringham and let go of Balmoral. Although personally I find that kind of weather quite charming. And the seclusion is probably nice to have. However none of that will happen in a long time, a decade at least. Perhaps PW surprises us all and decides to spend alot of time there.
In terms of Scotland seeking independence. It might complicate things a bit, I agree on that. However it will still remain a neighbouring country with common history and probably negotiations to keep it would be a bit easier.

wannable

I don't think the Windsor Brand will ever let go of Balmoral nor any of their private estates.

Curryong

Balmoral looks fairy-castle like with the winter snow, though the interior decor, Victorian in style, isn't the greatest. It's certainly isolated, with acres and acres of moorland. Birkhall is reputedly very cosy and comfortable.

The thing is that all this land and the castle and the Sandringham estate were both purchased in Victoria and Albert's time, when running and maintaining a castle and large estates didn't cost an arm and a leg. If the Monarch and Royal family doesn't care for a long residence in the castle every summer and autumn then maintaining it just won't be viable. No good keeping an empty ghost property. The Queen is fond of Balmoral, so is Charles, so its future isn't in doubt while Charles lives (and he might live to be over ninety. He's healthy enough.) After that ...??? IMO.

wannable

Land investment is always good in any financial angle one wants to see it.  Good times/bad times, abandoned, it doesn't matter it will - land value is always the best way forward, reflected in their Investment Portofolio.

They are not press hard for liquidity/cash...the only way is IF future King's Charles, William or George go bananas with 'overspending'. Savings here and there, without affecting 'land' property many family generations have maintained.

TLLK

@wannable and @Curryong-Interesting thoughts and  perspectives on the future of Balmoral. The future of Balmoral would certainly be impacted if Scotland chooses to become independent.  Considering its location and opportunities for more year round activities,   I can see why Sandringham might be the favorite among QEII's younger family members even if they do have some fond childhood memories of Balmoral. Regarding the Wales brothers, this was the setting of when they found out about Diana's death so I wonder if that might have influenced their feelings towards the place?

Curryong

It may well have, TLLK. I don't think the events of that horrible August have ever left either of  them, really. Of course Birkhall, the cosy home of the QM and later of Charles doesn't hold any of those sad memories, and I'm sure visits to that house are very much enjoyed.

wannable

Quote from: TLLK on February 27, 2019, 02:14:05 PM
@wannable and @Curryong-Interesting thoughts and  perspectives on the future of Balmoral. The future of Balmoral would certainly be impacted if Scotland chooses to become independent.  Considering its location and opportunities for more year round activities,   I can see why Sandringham might be the favorite among QEII's younger family members even if they do have some fond childhood memories of Balmoral. Regarding the Wales brothers, this was the setting of when they found out about Diana's death so I wonder if that might have influenced their feelings towards the place?

Balmoral is a working estate; the Queen has cattle, fishing, cottages for rent, visitors fee tour guide, gift shop, hospitality, golf, other sport activity, wedding venue, etc. etc. etc. seems they have covered all kinds of economical activities that can be squeezed out of the vast land/properties within. Very similar to Sandringham Estate portofolio. The private Balmoral website says that it is self sustainable, meaning they are not in the Red, and they are seeking as of today 2 employees to join their work force.

LouisFerdinand

How would the estate of Balmoral be broken up? Do you think that any Scottish aristocrat would purchase the castle?

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on February 28, 2019, 08:50:03 PM
How would the estate of Balmoral be broken up? Do you think that any Scottish aristocrat would purchase the castle?

Maybe they could open it up to the public? But maybe that wouldn't be practical?

Curryong

I don't know about Scottish aristos (they have enough trouble keeping their own family piles.) However, Scotland does have a number of new money (multi) millionaires living in the posher suburbs of Aberdeen, Einburgh etc. There are also extremely wealthy oligarchs all over the ME and former Soviet republics, American billionaires, and, if the worst comes to the worst, hotel developers might see potential in Balmoral Castle.

And yes I can see the extremely wealthy buying some acres of a Scottish estate once owned by the British monarch and building a country holiday home there.

Double post auto-merged: March 01, 2019, 06:17:22 AM

Quote from: wannable on February 27, 2019, 04:03:37 PM
Balmoral is a working estate; the Queen has cattle, fishing, cottages for rent, visitors fee tour guide, gift shop, hospitality, golf, other sport activity, wedding venue, etc. etc. etc. seems they have covered all kinds of economical activities that can be squeezed out of the vast land/properties within. Very similar to Sandringham Estate portofolio. The private Balmoral website says that it is self sustainable, meaning they are not in the Red, and they are seeking as of today 2 employees to join their work force.

None of that will mean a thing if Wiliam or George decides they don't want to extensively holiday in the Scottish Highlands and that estate and castle, apart from Birkhall, are surplus to requirements in around 2035-2060c. I doubt that William and his family spend more than three weeks a year on the Balmoral/Birkhall estates nowadays, and that's a generous estimate!

TLLK

QuoteMaybe they could open it up to the public? But maybe that wouldn't be practical?
Like Sandringham it is open to the public for parts of the year, however it is in a more remote location. Balmoral - Admissions for 2018 The estate is only open a few months out of the year when the Queen is not in residence and the weather is more visitor friendly.

Question: If Scotland becomes independent would the then current owner be subject to new fees/taxes that they are not currently required to pay?

Curryong

Yes, an interesting question and one we don't know the answer to. Quite a few English people holiday in Scotland and some have country homes. However, the Balmoral estate is in another category. It's huge and would certainly be liable to any land taxes the Scottish govt might care to impose. EU agricultural subsidies help the estate now, but of course that won't happen in the future.