Royal Commentators, reporters and authors

Started by wannable, February 28, 2018, 09:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

A thread to  discuss royal commentators,  reporters and experts. They tweeted, emailed, had drinks at the bar, but not any more.

Piers Morgan should know by now that is how Hollyweird operates.  She did it during her acting days to get tabloid mention. They are encouraged to make friends with the right people to end up in the best papers. 

She's going to be a royal, his friendship is not worthy anymore. Or maybe she will need him in the future for some kind of journalistic support as he is as vocal as she.   

Isn't it easier to be cordial and hey I'm going to be a royal now - PM would understand, rather than be a  cut off user with no explanation.  :hehe:

Quote'She met Prince Harry and cut me off!' Baffled Piers Morgan reveals his 'former friend' Meghan Markle GHOSTED him after falling in love

Speaking of how their unlikely friendship came to terms, Piers admitted: 'After I followed her on Twitter, she DM'ed me and said, "I'm a massive fan of yours, this is great, do you want to see future episodes?"'
'She then started sending me future episodes. I then linked in with one of the other guys from the show, who came on Good Morning Britain, and for about a year-and-a-half we were exchanging emails and messages.'
Detailing the moment the pair first met, Piers continued: 'Then Meghan came to Wimbledon to watch her friend Serena Williams play and she messages me and says, "Do you fancy a drink?" I say, "Come to my local pub" and there we are for 90 minutes just me and Meghan, we were great buddies!'
However, things didn't turn out the way Piers had planned as he admitted she changed after meeting Prince Harry: 'Next thing I know, silence, off the radar. You know what happened?'

Read more: Piers Morgan reveals Meghan Markle ghosted him | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Curryong

They weren't friends. They bonded on social media (on his Twitter Page) over gun control when he was struggling to be understood on the issue, and Meghan tweeted that she admired his stance. They met at a pub once, when she was in London and they had a quick drink. That's not friendship.

I doubt that Piers Morgan is personally cut to the quick that they aren't in contact any more though he might have enjoyed the contact with a young Royal in a journalistic sense. He knows how media contacts operate, and he's no wide-eyed Bambi in the deep dark forest.

I think in fact that he's being ironic about this, but what does he expect her to do? If they remain in contact Piers could well be accused in another few years of being a younger Andrew Morton, or Richard Kay, a medis conduit to putting her point of view across in the media. I can just see that going down well with people who don't like her and wish her ill. But then, any excuse is better than none to bash this woman isn't it?

wannable

He claims to have received and returned friendship for 1 and 1/2 years. What is friendship for her, she discarded 30 years of friendship, doesn't consider PM one and a half years either, but that same time to meet and marry someone yes.

It's no wonder, she is heavily critisised.  Good to correspond for more than a year, contact the person once in town, have drinks! Then discard. She doesn't know how to pacify people, hence once discarded, they turn on her.

Piers is no Bambi, hence his story on live tv, reproduced in an article.

Curryong

Oh, for goodness sake! It was a Twitter friendship for a few months, bonding over some current issues they agreed on, not face to face confidences about life like true friends have or frequent meetings with each other's family, friends, constant outings together.

They met once, in a London pub. If Piers (one of the most unpopular news editors Britain ever produced, a man whose entire lack of morality was legendary when he was editor of The Sun. God knows how many people he diddled, cheated, deceived and lied to over the years!) feels hard done by because someone he met once isn't in touch any more then he is being hypocritical. And milking this for all its worth!

As for her ex friend, I wrote a long post previously, about how sometimes life, interests, circumstances mean that people leave friendships. I stand by what I wrote at that time.  It happened to my daughter and her friends of twenty odd years.

Plus, we don't know the motivations of her ex friend (who was very keen to make money out of writing about someone she had been so close to for decades. How is that honourable?) There could have been a dozen reasons that their friendship ended besides what she put out.

You intensely dislike Meghan, rejoice in every tiny bit of negativity with regard to her, so of course you're going to go the 'poor heartbroken Piers angle' on this. I bet his fellow journos don't feel the same way!

wannable

So Piers lied with the 1 1/2 years of friendship. And you have the truth it to be a few months.

Curryong

18 months is only a few months. Piers obviously classifies 'friendship' to be some communications over Twitter about current affairs. And I don't believe he regarded Meghan as a true friend. As soon as she came into prominence as Harry's girlfriend he was rushing into print about her drink with him in a pub, acting as if he was an expert on her in several articles. What a lucky break that was for him as a journalist, but not how a true friend acts.

[gmod]Personal comment has been removed. [/gmod]

Duch_Luver_4ever

Alex Jones vs Piers Morgan On Gun Control - CNN 1/7/2013 - YouTube

Beginning of the end for PM on CNN after he tangles with Alex Jones over guns, a few years old but relevant today.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Kritter

Quote from: Curryong on March 01, 2018, 12:45:18 AM
18 months is only a few months. Piers obviously classifies 'friendship' to be some communications over Twitter about current affairs. And I don't believe he regarded Meghan as a true friend. As soon as she came into prominence as Harry's girlfriend he was rushing into print about her drink with him in a pub, acting as if he was an expert on her in several articles. What a lucky break that was for him as a journalist, but not how a true friend acts.

I've never known you discuss any good about Meghan in posts. You remind me of a poster on TRF. As soon as he posts on the Harry and or Meghan threads our immediate reaction is 'what piece of maliciousness has he picked up from the Fail now'? ! We know it's not going to be good news and we are never disappointed!

Piers has been angling to get an invitation to the wedding since the engagement was announced. Saw a clip of his co host laughing at him saying "You thought you were friends but forgot to tell Meghan she was your friend".   :lol:

Curryong

. OTOH, Meghan hasn't even been dating Harry for two years yet, and we've barely seen her, but you have your opinions set in iron about her.

Trudie

Quote from: Curryong on February 28, 2018, 11:30:34 PM
Oh, for goodness sake! It was a Twitter friendship for a few months, bonding over some current issues they agreed on, not face to face confidences about life like true friends have or frequent meetings with each other's family, friends, constant outings together.

They met once, in a London pub. If Piers (one of the most unpopular news editors Britain ever produced, a man whose entire lack of morality was legendary when he was editor of The Sun. God knows how many people he diddled, cheated, deceived and lied to over the years!) feels hard done by because someone he met once isn't in touch any more then he is being hypocritical. And milking this for all its worth!

As for her ex friend, I wrote a long post previously, about how sometimes life, interests, circumstances mean that people leave friendships. I stand by what I wrote at that time.  It happened to my daughter and her friends of twenty odd years.

Plus, we don't know the motivations of her ex friend (who was very keen to make money out of writing about someone she had been so close to for decades. How is that honourable?) There could have been a dozen reasons that their friendship ended besides what she put out.

You intensely dislike Meghan, rejoice in every tiny bit of negativity with regard to her, so of course you're going to go the 'poor heartbroken Piers angle' on this. I bet his fellow journos don't feel the same way!

Excellent Post @Curryong  one meeting in a pub for a few drinks to meet someone from twitter does not constitute a friendship no more than one date in a restaurant with someone you met on an online dating site makes one boyfriend and girlfriend. It seems everyone wants a piece of Meghan whether it be for selfpromotion or making money or both. Since Meghan was publicly known as Harry's latest girlfriend now fiancee so called friends claim it is Meghan who ended the friendship but, IMO it was they who ended the friendship by selling her out.

Kritter

Quoteso called friends claim it is Meghan who ended the friendship but, IMO it was they who ended the friendship by selling her out.

Excellent point   :thumbsup:

They also go on & on about Meghan using her exes but her exes are not the ones saying it. For the exes to remain silent let's us know they parted as friends & the relationship had just run it's course.

TLLK

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/world/europe/uk-royal-family-workload.html?fallback=0&recId=1INqYcm6ExN1sqa0DLodXFHDlLm&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=CT&recAlloc=story&geoCountry=US&blockId=home-featured&imp_id=338905950&action=click&module=editorsPicks&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

QuoteLONDON ? Long before there was such a thing as ?Big Data,? there was Tim O?Donovan, a retired insurance broker who has meticulously tabulated the British royal family?s engagements with pencil and paper every day for 40 years.

In a row of old-fashioned leather-bound ledgers, in a wisteria-fringed house in the village of Datchet, just west of London, he has amassed an extraordinary collection of raw data. The Autumn Dinner of the Fishmongers? Company, convened in October by Princess Anne? It?s in there. The opening of the Pattern Weaving Shed in Peebles, Scotland? Of the Dumfries House Maze? Of a window at the Church of St. Martin in the Bull Ring? Noted.

Mr. O?Donovan, 87, is not part of the hurly-burly of royal commentary. Not only is he not active on social media, he claims never to have seen it. (?I am glad to say I don?t have anything to do with it,? he said, a bit starchily. ?Everything I?ve heard about it is negative.?)

Curryong

I think Mr O' Donavon is very sweet, worrying about what would happen if he suddenly died in mid year with his work half-finished. I hope his grandson can help a little in the future, but with schooling, exams and eventually College I think Mr O' Donavon needs a more mature assistant! Surely someone newly retired who lives nearby would be interested? It will be quite a pity if the poor old boy has to eventually give up and no-one takes it on.

wannable

I love the framed picture he has with HM QEII and the quote.  :D

wannable

His twitter feed is 98% Meghan, 1% Harry, 1% every other royal retweet/tweet.

I think he should expand the 1% every other royal for the next 6 months for ''paycheck''. In other words, sign up with the royal press pack to every C&C, W&K duties.

Anyway, for those who have defamed him (i.e. going OTT with innuendo)

Omid Scobie
‏Verified account
@scobie

Replying to @SonDromer
The lunacy is strong with the fiction that I get tagged in.
And for any of these conspiracy theorists reading: I?m not an ex of anyone in her world, have never been a secret PR, I don?t have business with Soho House, have never shared my home and am not in cahoots with anyone.

dianab

LMAO

This man is as a joke as her friend and husband

wannable

Listen on Apple Podcasts 

3 AUG 2019
2. Childhood as a Mountbatten; Lions, Coatimundis, Bears and Being Left in Budapest
2. Childhood as a Mountbatten; Lions, Coatimundis, Bears and Being Left?
Imagine growing up in with a lion, a bear, a mongoose and a coatimundi. We?re having tea and cake with Lady Pamela Hicks, daughter of Lord and Lady Mountbatten and India Hicks' much loved mum. India and producer Lisa Francesca Nand hear about the exotic creatures that both terrified and tantalised the Mountbattens and their equally exotic visitors, the curious occasion when Lady Pamela and her sister were left for months on end in a random hotel outside Budapest and much more. Unmissable!

16 min
1 AUG 2019
1. Childhood as a Mountbatten; A Plethora of Kings
1. Childhood as a Mountbatten; A Plethora of Kings
The family and friends who visited the Mountbattens during Lady Pamela's childhood read like a list of who's who in royalty, politics, high society, the world's greatest authors and artists and Hollywood's finest. Lady Pamela Hicks, India Hicks and their producer Lisa, listen as Lady Pamela regales astounding stories of Kings, Queens and lovers and the weird and wonderful life of growing up as a Mountbatten.

?The India Hicks Podcast on Apple Podcasts

I recommend the podcast, super interesting and fun

wannable

Lord Mountbatten's daughter reveals her father faced an 'endless battle' to recover family heirlooms from Wallis Simpson after they were 'taken by King Edward' when he went into exile
Prince Philip's cousin Pamela Hicks, 90, recalled her childhood and royal stories
The daughter of the late Lord Mountbatten spoke about her father's battles
Said that upon his abdication the former King Edward took heirlooms into exile
Claimed father tried to retrieve them through Edward's wife Wallis Simpson

Lady Pamela says they never were able to recover the stolen jewelry that Edward and Wallis took.

Curryong

I don't know why Mountbatten took it upon himself to recover Royal heirlooms after the war. It certainly wouldn't have been Queen Mary or the Queen Mother who asked him to do it as neither could stand him. Nor would the Queen or PP.

And a huge amount of Edwina Mountbatten's jewellery was lost for a generation after her death, when she deposited it all in a bank and then didn't tell her daughters what she'd done. That haul included pieces that she had worn as the last Vicereine of India. Perhaps Mountbatten should have confined himself to that search.

And anyway, Mountbatten made himself a nuisance in Wallis's widowhood by making none too subtle hints as to whom she should leave her and her husband's property to. In the end he had to be told to desist as it was making her feel sad and depressed.

wannable

I wonder how they taxed it upon their (Windsor's) death.  The law hasn't changed. No death tax if it goes to the (actual) King (or Queen). 

The detail is in the podcast....lady Pamela calls what Edward took 'stage' jewelry. The Heirlooms she refers to are the ancient ones passed from King (Monarch or Queen), to future King, to future King.  He abdicated, he should have left it rather than taking possession.

Curryong

I'm no great fan of Edward and Wallis. However some of the jewellery he took with him was purely mythical. He was supposed to have taken a ruby necklace that was left to him by his grandmother Queen Alexandra. No such necklace existed. He certainly didn't take any of the Crown Jewels apart from a rather battered coronet he had worn for his inauguration as Prince of Wales.

Wallis had magnificent jewellery. Edward started gifting her with many valuable pieces from the mid 1930s on. However, none belonged to members of the BRF, none were official or Crown pieces, and indeed much of Wallis's jewellery was auctioned off in the decades following her death.

What Mountbatten took upon himself to ask to be returned to the BRF were things like regalia and robes of various British Orders that Edward had been awarded throughout his Royal life. He wasn't asked to do this by either the QM or the present Queen. Nevertheless, a few years after the Duke of Windsor's death these objects were returned. However Lord Mountbatten went further and started to ask who Wallis was going to leave her money, art, furniture etc to. He mentioned Charles. There were rumours he wanted a legacy himself.

oak_and_cedar

I did not know where to post this but I suppose here is OK since Lady Colin Campbell made her "fortune" writing books about the royals. This interview she did with Piers Morgan is so absurd and outrageous. It is worth reading to see what kind of person she is. Sucking up to the royals, IMO.

This is one quote from below article:
"Lady Colin Campbell said on the show today: 'You all seem to have forgotten that Jeffrey Epstein, the offence for which he was charged and for which he was imprisoned, was for soliciting prostitution from minors.

'That is not the same thing as paedophilia.'

She said it was 'prostitution' when Morgan asked what she would call it.

But the 54-year-old journalist said:'If you solicited a 14-year-old for prostitution, you're a paedophile.'

Lady Campbell said: 'It doesn't matter.'

A shocked Morgan hit back: 'It does matter. You're procuring an underage girl for sex.'

He added: 'That's what he was convicted of! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, with respect, that is nonsense.'

Lady Campbell replied: 'Was he? 14? Well, I'm not justifying Jeffrey Epstein.' "

Lady Colin Campbell claims soliciting sex from minors 'is not the same as paedophilia' | Daily Mail Online

So disgusting.

dianab

maybe "lady" campbell will finally become a dame!

sandy

Trudie

Campbell needs to crawl back under what ever rock he/she came out from