The Sussex Family General Chat Part 2

Started by sara8150, March 01, 2023, 12:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on March 01, 2023, 01:53:13 PM
The ?grace and favour cottage? that was a wedding gift from the Queen, a gift that has been snatched back by Charles, just as she approved Andrew?s Royal Lodge lease, that Andrew will lose. And Harry and Meghan didn?t share ?the services of the domestic servants at WC,? so why would Andrew?

And rather than a private tenant William and Kate and family may get Royal Lodge. As well as all their other homes. Great PR for the monarchy in a country with growing homelessness and ever rising mortgage rates among ordinary people.
How has it been snatched back?  We dont know what is happening, and in any case, Harry hasn't lived there for over 3 years and rented it out to Eugenie for a time. Its not a good idea for a house to stand emtpy and since the Sussexes are most unlikely ever to go back to live in the UK, what do they want it for?   A house on a royal estate can't be let to just anybody so it is just sitting there, empty, and unused

HistoryGirl2

Even if it was ?snatched back,? the monarch is no longer Elizabeth; it?s Charles. He can choose to manage the properties owned by the Crown as he sees fit. I think it?s definitely in keeping with him wanting to limit the number of people that are being maintained by tax payer dollars.

I will admit that my opinion on whether this current news is good or not is based on my own feelings on Charles? strategy of cutting the fat, if you will, on the number of people considered ?working royals.? As in, I wholeheartedly agree with it. Andrew no longer is and neither is Harry, both for vastly different reasons obviously, but still, there?s no need for the former to have a huge estate to maintain and I don?t see why the latter would require a ?home base? if he?s hardly ever in the UK. When he is, he can be a guest at any number of homes that his father has access to.

I would also see no PR problem with the Prince and Princess of Wales (the future monarch and his wife) receiving access to a property that once housed a disgraced royal that?s been booted out literally and figuratively. Andrew whining about not being able to enjoy access to this vast estate is not something I see getting a massive amount of sympathy from people.

Amabel2

andrew does not have a huge estate.  He has a house and I suppose gardens and stabling but its not as far as I know an estate.  ANd he's not going to be booted out.  he may be pressed to downsize, but that is quite another matter.

HistoryGirl2

Maybe it?s the small country bumpkin in me, but I?d say a 98 acre plot of land, complete with gardens, stables, and a 30 bedroom home qualifies as an estate. The king can ask him to leave if he wants to, and you?ll not find many people that would shed a tear for Andy and Fergie.

Andrew was coddled by the Queen, in my opinion. He?s an older man with no children living at home, I don?t see why FC would be that ridiculous of an option for him. I won?t even discuss Fergie because why would she be even a factor of consideration? She?s been mooching for years and it hasn?t exactly kept her quiet.

If this were to happen, I?d say it is something that would greatly benefit Meghan and Harry. It would sever their ties with the UK and allow them to move forward without having to be brought up again from the perspective of having access to royal properties.

Amabel2

I didnt realise it was so big but still I'd call it a farm rather than an estate. And well no, Charles can't ask people to leave when they have a lease.  He would have to get Andrew to give up his lease and probably pay him back for the  work that ANdrew's had done on the house.

HistoryGirl2

^ All of which he is perfectly capable of doing if he doesn?t want Andrew living there. Furthermore, if he cuts Andrew?s allowance, whether Andrew wants to remain or not could be a moot point. It?s expensive keeping up these estates, and he may not have an option but to move to a smaller home.

Charles seems to be setting a trend. Lovely to have you be part of the family, but there?s no reason that the Crown needs to be supporting all of these people. The slimmer, the better, in my opinion. He likely won?t cut off anyone completely, but I can see Charles slowly chipping away at the privileges they enjoyed under the Queen.

Harry may have done Charles and future kings a favor. I won?t include Andrew in that because his reason for stopping royal duties is not a favor for anyone since he?s still drawing funds. But maybe the core family (monarch, heir and co) being the working royals is what the future will look like.

Amabel2

but why do it?  WE dont know what Andrew's income is, or what money he has from Charles, and if Andrew does not want to give up the lease he may demand a lot of financial compensation.. and he is entitled to some since he improved the property.  Andrew MAY be willing to give up the place but I doubt if he will go without financial compensation... He might prefer to stay where he is and close up some of hte rooms, and I dont think Charles will want a legal fight.  He may not want to pay out a lot of money to ANdy for the money that Andrew spent.

HistoryGirl2

That?s the point; it?s not about what Andrew does or doesn?t want. It?s about what Charles wants. I?m not privy to what he will decide, but I do see trends and reports of what he planned to do once he became king. He doesn?t seem to favor huge allowances and privileges to second and third sons and daughters. It?s an expensive estate to maintain. He might decide to cut his losses, pay Andrew an undisclosed sum from his own personal funds, cut Andrew?s allowance from the Crown, and give him an option of a smaller home that he can now maintain.

FC would be as an good option as any because it?s already been renovated.

And then again, this could all be completely fictional and a rumor that arose from nowhere.

Amabel2

It is partly waht Andrew wants.  Charles is in charge of the Crown estates but ANdrew has a lease which gives him the right to live in that house foor 75 years.  If Charles wants him out, he will have to break the lease and pay compensation.

HistoryGirl2

^ Which he is fully capable of doing. It?s not like Charles is hurting for money. He is fully capable of absorbing that hit. It?s all about whether this is something he wants to see happen or not.

This could be totally made up and Charles doesn?t care where Andrew lives. Something tells me where there?s smoke there?s fire, but maybe I?m wrong about that.

But if this report is true, Charles is fully capable of executing it. If nothing else, by limiting Andrew?s options.

But this thread is about Harry and Meghan, so I think the conversation should remain focused on their current lease of the house and the consequences that stem from that. And again, he can buy out their lease, too.

Amabel2

If Charles is not bothered about money, why would he want Andrew to leave the house?  As things are, I think it would cost him a lot to get Andrew out, and it would be cheaper to leave him there.  ANdrew has to live somewhere, and he has put a lot of effort and money into Royal Lodge. so if C has ot pay back all that money and buy out the remains of the lease, he's going to be handing out a lot of cash, just to get Andrew out of the house where he is not doing any harm and has a right to live until the lease runs out.

wannable

Charles felt he had to act as king rather than as a father

Rebecca English

wannable

Harry and Meghan had received the eviction notice 11th January 2023 (1 day after Spare) to today, 49 days and counting, from today 48 hours after Harry had media announced his change of wanting an Apology from Public to Private (all for evil reasons!)

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 01, 2023, 05:32:48 PM
If Charles is not bothered about money, why would he want Andrew to leave the house?  As things are, I think it would cost him a lot to get Andrew out, and it would be cheaper to leave him there.  ANdrew has to live somewhere, and he has put a lot of effort and money into Royal Lodge. so if C has ot pay back all that money and buy out the remains of the lease, he's going to be handing out a lot of cash, just to get Andrew out of the house where he is not doing any harm and has a right to live until the lease runs out.

I can?t say why, as I said before, I don?t know what Charles? end game is. The original debate was to whether he was able to do this and I said he is fully capable of doing this legally if he wished to pursue that option.

wannable

Omid Scobie
@scobie
Says a spokesperson for Harry and Meghan: "We can confirm The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage."

HistoryGirl2

Makes sense. Even if Andrew doesn?t move in,  there really is no need for them to have a home on a royal estate.

wannable

As their outing with paps last night, they aren't devastated or cruel Charles as the Omids and PeterHunts say.

They already packed during Netflix filming. Meghan and Harry film every bit and piece of their life. The house is empty with yet the boxes or already moved.

There are more still pictures all over social media.

changemhysoul

I'm copying this because this person summed up, better than I can say why, whatever extra they put into the house, needs to be paid back.

Frogmore was going to be renovated regardless of who lived there. It had become dilapidated, and as the head of the Crown Estate, it was the Queens' responsibility to get it up to standard (which she did not do) Harry and Meghan paid back the $3M CE renovation cost, which included things like a new roof, pipes, electrical, etc. Then they paid out of pocket for all of the cosmetic work and their own touches (kitchen, flooring, paint, etc.) which were not included in the nearly $3M cost of the renovation. So my point is that if Charles is going to kick them out then hand the property to someone else, Harry  and Meghan should be compensated for the cost of the items that they paid for themselves. The $3M they paid back to the Queen should never even have been accepted (especially since it didn't go back to the taxpayer nor did it reduce the following years budget at all) but now it's really shady to evict Harry and Meghan when they literally put all of the money into upgrading and maintaining that place.

It doesn't matter if they stayed there or not. They paid a lump some up-front for rent and etc. Pay them back whatever extra cost and then pay them back whatever portions of the rent.

Also, seeing as the public doesn't live with them, nor do any fans or RR.

The photos doesn't prove that they moved everything, it proves that they packed up and moved what they were taking in the moment.

sara8150

Omid Scobie says Frogmore Cottage is Harry and Meghan's 'only space in UK' that meets security needs | Daily Mail Online

Charles had to act as king: REBECCA ENGLISH reveals why King backed move to evict Harry and Meghan | Daily Mail Online

MAUREEN CALLAHAN: 'Eviction' is the greatest gift to Harry and Meghan - they love playing the victim | Daily Mail Online

As Charles  'evicts Prince Harry and Meghan', FEMAIL reveals glimpse inside Frogmore Cottage | Daily Mail Online

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry Told to Vacate UK Home, Frogmore Cottage

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle focus on family in California after shock Frogmore eviction | HELLO!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64815383

Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been asked to vacate Frogmore Cottage, spokesperson says | UK News | Sky News

Duke and Duchess of Sussex are asked to vacate their UK home | Prince Harry | The Guardian

Dr Shola warns King his Frogmore move 'will backfire' as he brands Charles a 'weak coward' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

King Charles decided to evict Sussexes 'just 24 hours after Spare hit shelves' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince Harry and Meghan's 'eviction' is 'just the beginning' of King's money-saving drive | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry break silence as they confirm Charles has evicted them | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-03-01/harry-and-meghan-requested-to-vacate-frogmore-cottage-say-sussexes

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle break silence after King Charles evicts royals - Mirror Online

Harry and Andrew learning they won't 'get what they want' under King Charles, says expert - Mirror Online

King Charles draws up 'range of options' to deal with disgraced brother Andrew - Mirror Online

Harry and Meghan's 'Frogmore eviction' is 'possible sign' they won't attend Coronation - Mirror Online

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21556043/harry-meghan-frogmore-king-charles-piers-morgan/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/21562105/harry-meghan-frogmore-eviction-royal-family/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/21561732/harry-meghan-break-silence-evicted-frogmore-cottage/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/21562752/harry-meghan-charles-coronation-frogmore-cottage/

wannable

Quote from: changemhysoul on March 01, 2023, 10:06:31 PM
I'm copying this because this person summed up, better than I can say why, whatever extra they put into the house, needs to be paid back.

Frogmore was going to be renovated regardless of who lived there.

Consent to carry out internal alterations to create four houses from the existing three houses and two flats Open for comment icon
Frogmore Cottages Frogmore Windsor SL4 2JG

Ref. No: 09/00042/LBC | Validated: Friday 09 January 2009 | Status: Decided

TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE COUPLE GOT MARRIED, 8 years after the above mentioned remodelling, not delapidated but a new conversion from 5 to 1 home

Consent for various internal alterations, a single storey rear canopy and single storey rear extension to the studio to form 3 x three bedroom dwellings and 1 x one bedroom dwelling with associated parking and a new footpath. Open for comment icon
3 And 4A And 4B And 5 Frogmore Cottages Frogmore Windsor SL4 2JG

Ref. No: 18/01216/LBC | Validated: Wednesday 02 may 2018 | Status: Decided

Single storey rear canopy and single storey rear extension to the studio to form 3 x three bedroom dwellings and 1 x one bedroom dwelling with associated parking and a new footpath
3 And 4A And 4B And 5 Frogmore Cottages Frogmore Windsor SL4 2JG

Ref. No: 18/01215/FULL | Validated: Wednesday 02 may 2018 | Status: Decided

https://publicaccess.rbwm.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

^ The request comes from Windsor Castle.

wannable

If you click on the Ref. No. 18/01215 and the other one 01216 full and lbc you can see all the details and planning Windsor Castle wanted for the Sussexes. As you can see there are 6 more planning applications requested by the couple to add in the above original requests already married; 2 Oct 2018, 3 April 2019, 1 June 2019, all were approved by the borough.

HistoryGirl2

Can anyone tell me what the validity of Omid?s relationship with the Sussexes? It sounds like Charles asked them to vacate the house after Harry?s book came out in January. Omid says they were left ?stunned.? I?m not sure how much stock I can put on this. How could they be stunned that he asked them to vacate the house after what they?ve said about how dangerous the UK is for them and their open and blatant criticisms of the family?

TLLK

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on March 01, 2023, 11:21:13 PM
Can anyone tell me what the validity of Omid?s relationship with the Sussexes? It sounds like Charles asked them to vacate the house after Harry?s book came out in January. Omid says they were left ?stunned.? I?m not sure how much stock I can put on this. How could they be stunned that he asked them to vacate the house after what they?ve said about how dangerous the UK is for them and their open and blatant criticisms of the family?

Honestly I don't know anymore. At times I feel that Omid Scobie is a trusted "confidante" and at other times I get the sense that he's no longer as well linked as he wants us to believe.

I find his comment that Frogmore Cottage was the only "secure" space for them in the UK to be odd. If  they were to stay at BP or WC, they'd be well protected.

QuoteOmid Scobie has claimed King Charles' decision to evict Prince Harry and Meghan Markle from their grace and favour Royal residence in Windsor leaves them without a home in the UK where they will be safe.

Scobie, a royal author who penned the Sussexes' biography, railed against the eviction of his friends from Frogmore Cottage - a five-bedroom mansion set a stone's throw away from the principal residence of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

He argued that, although Harry and Meghan travel with a private security team, Frogmore Cottage's location within the security perimeter of the Windsor Estate meant it was the only place in the UK they could feel truly safe, given they were deprived of dedicated Royal protection.

HistoryGirl2

Absolutely. Yeah, I get the sense that he uses them to seem like he?s a lot more well-connected than he actually is. I think they used him when they were getting their story out under the table, but now that they?re doing it themselves, I don?t know that he?s truly an insider or no more than any other royal reporter.

I may be misremembering but didn?t the Sussexes say that they wouldn?t speak through intermediaries any more only their own official representatives or themselves? I wonder if that was directed at people like him.