Leonor, Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofia News and Events

Started by Macrobug67, July 29, 2020, 04:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macrobug67

A thread to discuss the current events of the Princess of Asturias-Leonor and Infanta Sofia.

:hehe:  Watching out for her fathers best interests.  Princess Leonor caught quickly telling dad King Felipe of Spain to wear face mask - VIDEO | HELLO!

TLLK

Leonor is another poised young heir-to-the-throne who will be a delight to follow in the coming years.  :Jen:

TLLK

La at?pica vuelta al cole de Leonor: sin Letizia, acompa?ada por su hermana Sof?a y con control de temperatura

The students were required to have their temperatures taken before stepping on campus.

Macrobug67

Glad to see the masks.  Side eye at the temp checks - totally useless for monitoring COVID.   I have been mildly concerned about Leonor looking much younger and less developed for her age but I think she may be catching up - finally

TLLK

So yesterday was the first day for Leonor. Sofia's class will begin on Friday. Letizia was not there because families were limited to one parent doing the school drop off.

Queen Letizia's daughter Princess Leonor begins school year without sister Infanta Sofia

TLLK

Infanta Sofia joins her sister today at school with their mother taking them today.

Pictures and Photos - Getty Images

TLLK

Portada de Realeza y Personalidades - Informaci?n y curiosidades sobre las monarqu?as del mundo - hola.com

A classmate of Leonor's has tested positive for COVID 19 so as a precaution, all of the students in the class are to be quarantined at home for the next 14 days.

Macrobug67

No surprised.   And when they get back, it will wash, rinse, repeat.....

Just like all the other kids going back.  I expect here in Ont we will be back in lockdown by Thanksgiving.  (Canadian)

Curryong

Of course it needs to be done but is still very frustrating for everyone when pupils have newly returned for the Autumn term.

Amabel2

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug67 on September 12, 2020, 06:35:36 AM
No surprised.   And when they get back, it will wash, rinse, repeat.....

Just like all the other kids going back.  I expect here in Ont we will be back in lockdown by Thanksgiving.  (Canadian)
I agree. In California only some of the private schools and a small number of public elementary schools have been allowed to reopen for in person instruction. Los Angeles county elementary schools might be able to reopen in November but then again it might not be for very long.

The largest public university system in the nation ( Calif. State University) just announced that the 2021 spring term will be entirely online. My son's community college sent a similar notice on Thursday so he won't set foot on campus for classes this entire school year.

Double post auto-merged: September 12, 2020, 01:59:49 PM

NEW: Princess of Asturias quarantined after COVID-infection in class ? Royal Central

TLLK

Princess Leonor to follow Belgium?s Princess Elisabeth as royal student at a Welsh college ? Royal Central  :Jen:

QuoteThe heir to the Spanish throne, Princess Leonor, is to finish her secondary education at the same college attended by the future Belgian monarch. The Princess of Asturias, who is now 15, will head to UWC Atlantic College later this year to study for the International Baccalaureate. Princess Elisabeth, 19 and heir to the Belgian throne, attended the same educational establishment.

She will become a boarder at the college.

King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia announced that their elder child will head to Wales in either late August or early September 2021 to begin her studies which will last for two years. Leonor is currently a student at Madrid?s Santa Maria de los Rosales school alongside her younger sister, Infanta Sofia.

Her course will cover humanities and sciences. The total cost of her education and her boarding fees will come out of the Spanish Royal Family?s annual allowance.

In the statement confirming her academic plans, the Spanish Royal Family said that Leonor had passed the rigourous selection process to gain entry to the college. It included a pre-selection process, carried out anonymously, followed by a range of tests which were carried out electronically.

The statement added that the Princess of Asturias will continue developing her knowledge and understanding of her royal commitments in Spain during her two years at the college. King Felipe has told Spain?s Prime Minister, Pedro Sanchez, of this latest stage of Leonor?s education.

United World Colleges is a global education movement focused on using learning as a way of bringing people together. Princess Elisabeth of Belgium was a student at the college in Wales between 2018 and 2020.

The Netherland's King Willem-Alexander is also a graduate of this school.

And Spain's main TV station has had to apologize for its headline today when the news was announced.  :thumbsdown:

TV coverage of Princess Leonor?s school move causes controversy and political rows ? Royal Central

QuoteSpain?s main TV station, RTVE, has apologised after complaints about its reporting on the news that Princess Leonor is to finish her secondary education in Wales.

In a piece on a lunchtime programme, La Hora de La1, RTVE put up an on screen banner reading ??Leonor is leaving Spain, like her grandfather??, a reference to the former monarch, Juan Carlos I, who went into self imposed exile in August 2020 following allegations of financial impropriety. The strapline stayed on screen for almost two minutes while the decision about the heir to the throne?s education was discussed.

Immediately after the broadcast, some politicians reacted angrily to the decision. The conservative Popular Party, the main opposition grouping in Spain, said the station was ??now attacking the Crown?? while its Head of Online Communication, Ismael Martin, called it ??one of the most embarrassing moments in the history?? of the TV station.

There was also reaction on social media with some users pointing out that Leonor, who is heir to Spain?s throne, is only fifteen years old and a minor.

Curryong

Atlantic College seems to have an excellent reputation scholastically and otherwise. Wonder whether the Dutch and Belgian royals recommended the College to Felipe and Letizia? Hope Leonor (growing up fast) thoroughly enjoys herself there. Elizabeth of Brabant seemed to. I wish the BRF would also choose a high ranking European boarding school for its teens. It's ridiculous for any Royal to not have fluency in a couple of European languages (or at least French) in this day and age. 

And how anyone, even TV journalists can correlate an aged scandal ridden ex monarch who fled abroad due to his ill gotten gains, with a schoolgirl who is completing her education abroad, is beyond me and I suspect most others.

TLLK

Princess Leonor to carry out first solo engagement ? Royal Central

QuoteThe heir to the Spanish throne, Princess Leonor, is to take on her first solo public duty at the age of fifteen.

The Princess of Asturias will present the copy of the Spanish Constitution that she read from during her first public speech to one of Spain?s most prestigious institutions a it marks a special moment in its history.

Leonor will visit the Cervantes Institute in Madrid on March 24th as part of events for its 30th anniversary. As well as the copy of the Constitution which she used during her debut address, on October 31st 2018, she will hand over the version of ?Don Quixote? by Cervantes which she and her sister, Infanta Sofia, read from in their video message at the start of the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic.

Both books will be placed in the ?Letters? Vault? at the Institute, which contains works celebrating Spanish culture and heritage.

This solo engagement comes just a day before her parents, King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia, are due to travel to Andorra for their first State Visit since the start of the pandemic.

LouisFerdinand

This is a wonderful opportunity and it will be a nice learning experience for Princess Leonore.  :flower: :flower:

TudorQueen

It seems a good choice for a first solo engagement for Leonore at her age  :flower: I look forward to seeing it.

TLLK

IMO her parents are doing an excellent job in preparing Leonor. Spain's constitution limits the number of members in the Casa Real to the monarch/consort/ (former monarch/consort/heir/spouse and siblings, with that just leaves Queen Sofia as the only other adult that can assist Felipe and Letizia now. While Leonor obviously needs to completer her education, she might be taking on royal duties at a younger age than most of her peers.

Macrobug67

As TLLK knows, I have had concerns about Leonor - she seemed to be maturing so much slower than normal.   But I am starting to be less concerned lately and this outing sound great for her. 

TLLK

The Princess of Asturias on her first solo engagement.

Spain?s Princess Leonor presides 1st event without parents

QuoteMADRID (AP) ? Spain?s Princess Leonor de Borb?n presided over her first public event without the presence of her father, King Felipe VI, on Wednesday at the 30th anniversary celebration of a language and cultural center.

The 15-year-old Leonor was accompanied by deputy prime minister Carmen Calvo on her arrival at the Cervantes Institute's headquarters in Madrid. The institute director, Luis Garc?a Montero, also accompanied the princess.

Leonor, who is heir to the Spanish throne, deposited a copy of Spain?s Constitution and Miguel de Cervantes? classic ?Don Quixote? in the institute?s literary vault, where it stores Spanish-language literary treasures.

The Cervantes Institute promotes the learning of the Spanish language and literature around the world.

Double post auto-merged: March 25, 2021, 01:18:42 AM

Video of today's engagement and IMO she did great.

S.A.R. la Princesa de Asturias preside el XXX aniversario del Instituto Cervantes - YouTube

TudorQueen

Late to the game but I enjoyed seeing her first solo engagement.  :flower:

Leonor seemed quite poised and not nervous at the event. It was great first start for the princess.

Blue Clover

TLLK

Leonor and Sofia participated in their first joint engagement without their parents.

Princess Leonor and Infanta Sof?a undertake first joint engagement without parents ? Royal Central

QuoteOn Wednesday, the Princess of Asturias and her sister, Infanta Sof?a, had their first joint engagement without the King and Queen. The event was supposed to take place on the 5th of June, but bad weather delayed the event.

The royal sisters planted trees in the natural reserve of Hayedo de Montejo, Madrid, accompanied by about 35 other teenagers, mainly between the ages of 14 and 16.

The event was part of the initiatives made in honour of World Environment Day, and in the context of the program ?A tree for Europe?, launched by the European Union to mark the occasion.

Dressed in white t-shirts, blue jeans and hiking boots, the two sisters were also seen sporting the campaign?s pin on their chests.

I have to say that I'm impressed by the Casa Real's decision to have the girls begin participating in official engagements  in the years since Felipe ascended to the throne. They've been making regular appearances on National Day and their other appearances have been steadily increasing. With Leonor heading to Atlantic College this fall, it makes sense that she's involved in more of these appearances before she departs.

Of Europe's young teen/adult heirs it seems to me that Belgium and Spain have been the front runners in having  their young heirs involved in learning the public side of their future role.

Macrobug67

Nice event.  Well suited for the girls.  They did well.

But it is time for them to stop dressing the same.

TudorQueen

Nice appearance by both girls  :flower3:

The Spanish have done a good job of introducing them more. But also picking appropriate activities that they feel natural at  :flower:

As important as a boat christening might be. I find them planting trees with other young people their age, a bit more age appropriate right now.

TLLK

New poll in Spain shows that the majority of those polled would like Lenor to undertake military training and attend university after she graduates from Atlantic Wales College. She's also currently the third most popular member of the SRF behind her father King Felipe and paternal grandmother Queen Sofia.

Poll shows majority of people in Spain want Princess Leonor to undergo military training ? Royal Central

QuoteThere is strong support for the heir to the Spanish throne, Princess Leonor, undertaking military training, according to a new poll.

The survey, for leading newspaper ABC, shows two thirds of those asked want the Princess of Asturias to train with the military once she has completed her secondary education. Leonor is set to start studying for the International Baccalaureate at the UWC Atlantic College in Wales within weeks.

The poll also asked whether the princess should go to university with 95% saying yes.

With many of Europe's future monarchs being girls, I'm curious to see how many of them will be expected to undergo military training like Princess Elisabeth has done and that their fathers did in the past. CP Victoria did a modified military training, but it wasn't as long as her male peers (W-A, Felipe, Haakon, Christian, Charles, William, Henri, Guillaume, Albert etc..).